Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What "tone" should Marvel apply to the X-Men?

Should Marvel use the darker tone employed by Fox for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe? Or should they adopt the somewhat playful tone they use with the Avengers?

I thought Fox went too dark too much. Their X-Men were mopey and generally lacked humor, save for Wolverine (sometimes) and Deadpool (always). This approach would also limit the X-Men's appeal. I'm not totally against a dark tone if the writing is good. God, please let the writing be good.

I'd like to see the tone set about halfway between the MCU Avengers and the Fox films. There should definitely be times when characters enjoy themselves, especially if the cast involves any amount of teenagers discovering they have superpowers (like Spider-Man).

BANNED

The fox movies had plenty of humor. They just didn't have characters almost literally holding "laugh" and "applause" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The fox movies had plenty of humor. They just didn't have characters almost literally holding "laugh" and "applause" signs.
    This all day
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member

It'll be the same tone as most of the other MCU movies. Lighthearted with some dark moments, but not dark or long enough to leave the audience feeling macabre.

Darker, but not Fox level.
    Dark does not mean deep.

bigger breasts
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I’ll opt for them being portrayed heroically, unlike their current comic book versions.

I have Faith Marvel will strike the right balance between dark and light elements.

In order for the mutants to be the mutants they have to be feared and hated. If not than they are just a non unique super heroes.

So what needs to happen is a sudden surge in random people gaining their powers and causing damage/deaths. The public wanting to get them under control start banning them from areas or public shaming , wanting them brought up on trial, government to round them up etc. Enter X-men who specialize in teaching mutants to control their powers while also helping humanity, but once it becomes public that they are the same as the mutants that caused all the problems and they are harboring them, they get mad at the X-men for keeping them.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    In order for the mutants to be the mutants they have to be feared and hated. If not than they are just a non unique super heroes.

So what needs to happen is a sudden surge in random people gaining their powers and causing damage/deaths. The public wanting to get them under control start banning them from areas or public shaming , wanting them brought up on trial, government to round them up etc. Enter X-men who specialize in teaching mutants to control their powers while also helping humanity, but once it becomes public that they are the same as the mutants that caused all the problems and they are harboring them, they get mad at the X-men for keeping them.
    In the MCU, where there are already powerful figures running around causing massive damage, I'm not sure how a script could legitimately argue that mutants pose a larger threat than ordinary super beings. Disney will need to think hard about how to introduce "mutants" in a way that would keep them persecuted the way that they are in the books. This approach would certainly mean a darker tone than what the Avengers films aim for.

If they go this route, and I think it's a strong likelihood Marvel will, I hope they refrain from using Magneto in every film as the person "causing damage/deaths". That well is dry at this point.
    Last edited by Grimsmack; 03-08-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Too much humor is the one thing I worry about with xmen in mcu.

Mcu does a lot of things right- casting, character development, universe building, etc.

But they have wayyyyy too much humor for my taste. I hope and pray they dial
    It down with the humor when it comes
    To xmen.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I think that Winter Soldier and Civil War had a good blend of dark/humor and I'd like to see the X-Men be along those lines. I would love to see another movie like Logan but with a younger Wolverine. Maybe a better Weapon X story then what we got. Not sure if Disney has the guts to go that dark and violent though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    Should Marvel use the darker tone employed by Fox for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe? Or should they adopt the somewhat playful tone they use with the Avengers?
    Complete nonsense that Fox used a darker tone. X-Men comics are dark.

I thought Fox went too dark too much. Their X-Men were mopey and generally lacked humor, save for Wolverine (sometimes) and Deadpool (always). This approach would also limit the X-Men's appeal. I'm not totally against a dark tone if the writing is good. God, please let the writing be good.
    X-Men was not about humor
    X-Men dealt with human problems, stop mistaking it for mopey
    X-Men was never meant to appeal to the kids crowd that know little about cinema or care about adult problems in comics

I'd like to see the tone set about halfway between the MCU Avengers and the Fox films. There should definitely be times when characters enjoy themselves, especially if the cast involves .
    The tone should be a lot like the Fox Films.

any amount of teenagers discovering they have superpowers (like Spider-Man)
    With the books, mutants discovering they have super powers is usually the darker parts of X-Men, as it usually addressing the themes of innocence, hatred, prejudice. You are making X-men 3 look better than the new Spiderman films. You are making X-Men 1 look like a masterpiece to the new Spiderman films.

Why do MCU fans keep belittling X-Men like this. Its intellectually outright offensive. Have you ever seen a DCU fan questioning why Joker and Dark Knight are dark movies, insisting Batman movies should be more like Shazam and Aquaman. Its just so offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    In the MCU, where there are already powerful figures running around causing massive damage, I'm not sure how a script could legitimately argue that mutants pose a larger threat than ordinary super beings. Disney will need to think hard about how to introduce "mutants" in a way that would keep them persecuted the way that they are in the books. This approach would certainly mean a darker tone than what the Avengers films aim for.

If they go this route, and I think it's a strong likelihood Marvel will, I hope they refrain from using Magneto in every film as the person "causing damage/deaths". That well is dry at this point.
    It's one thing for people to be professional heroes like the Avengers causing damage. It's another thing completely when your kid might be going to school with a mutant that could destroy the building.

The X-men can always banter among each other but the outside world should always view them poorly or with suspicious nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post

Sounds an awful lot like the original X-Factor concept
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Fantastic Member

I would think that the darker tones are best. Also if we have to keep the persecuted hates and feared tone then maybe having a combination of things: maybe some catastrophic event is caused by mutant powers emerging or maybe sometimes the emergence of powers causes death to the mutant thus people would want a cure. Maybe some future event will sparked by mutants and this is what causes some hatred or maybe make people envious of the fact that those with an x-gene may have a longer life expectancy and that superpowered beings are now in fact replacing baseline humans on an evolutionary scale....idk its kind of difficult to justify it with others supers running around. I still say Xmen can be part of the MCU but in another seperate universe