Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default What "tone" should Marvel apply to the X-Men?

Should Marvel use the darker tone employed by Fox for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe? Or should they adopt the somewhat playful tone they use with the Avengers?

I thought Fox went too dark too much. Their X-Men were mopey and generally lacked humor, save for Wolverine (sometimes) and Deadpool (always). This approach would also limit the X-Men's appeal. I'm not totally against a dark tone if the writing is good. God, please let the writing be good.

I'd like to see the tone set about halfway between the MCU Avengers and the Fox films. There should definitely be times when characters enjoy themselves, especially if the cast involves any amount of teenagers discovering they have superpowers (like Spider-Man).

BANNED

The fox movies had plenty of humor. They just didn't have characters almost literally holding "laugh" and "applause" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The fox movies had plenty of humor. They just didn't have characters almost literally holding "laugh" and "applause" signs.
    This all day
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member

It'll be the same tone as most of the other MCU movies. Lighthearted with some dark moments, but not dark or long enough to leave the audience feeling macabre.

Darker, but not Fox level.
    Dark does not mean deep.

bigger breasts
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    This all day
    Hahaha one of the best comments on this issue.I always found Marvel's contrived levity absurd.Fox did the X-Men well,I want a similar tone.I was thinking Thanos snap combined with Loki's stealing of tesseract is perfect explanation for Wanda style depopulation of Mutants that unlike human population was not restored.Have around 200 mutants like in Messiah Complex, examine a new birth of a mutant or even have Sinister make mutants like they do on Krakoa under Hickman and it piques X-Men interest.That is a winning formula.Keep it serious, high stakes,rich in philosophical/ethical subjects and I think that would actually take Marvel as a natural evolution from the obsession with jokes in almost every take

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    Should Marvel use the darker tone employed by Fox for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe? Or should they adopt the somewhat playful tone they use with the Avengers?
    Complete nonsense that Fox used a darker tone. X-Men comics are dark.

I thought Fox went too dark too much. Their X-Men were mopey and generally lacked humor, save for Wolverine (sometimes) and Deadpool (always). This approach would also limit the X-Men's appeal. I'm not totally against a dark tone if the writing is good. God, please let the writing be good.
    X-Men was not about humor
    X-Men dealt with human problems, stop mistaking it for mopey
    X-Men was never meant to appeal to the kids crowd that know little about cinema or care about adult problems in comics

I'd like to see the tone set about halfway between the MCU Avengers and the Fox films. There should definitely be times when characters enjoy themselves, especially if the cast involves .
    The tone should be a lot like the Fox Films.

any amount of teenagers discovering they have superpowers (like Spider-Man)
    With the books, mutants discovering they have super powers is usually the darker parts of X-Men, as it usually addressing the themes of innocence, hatred, prejudice. You are making X-men 3 look better than the new Spiderman films. You are making X-Men 1 look like a masterpiece to the new Spiderman films.

Why do MCU fans keep belittling X-Men like this. Its intellectually outright offensive. Have you ever seen a DCU fan questioning why Joker and Dark Knight are dark movies, insisting Batman movies should be more like Shazam and Aquaman. Its just so offensive.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Complete nonsense that Fox used a darker tone. X-Men comics are dark.

X-Men was not about humor
    X-Men dealt with human problems, stop mistaking it for mopey
    X-Men was never meant to appeal to the kids crowd that know little about cinema or care about adult problems in comics

The tone should be a lot like the Fox Films.

With the books, mutants discovering they have super powers is usually the darker parts of X-Men, as it usually addressing the themes of innocence, hatred, prejudice. You are making X-men 3 look better than the new Spiderman films. You are making X-Men 1 look like a masterpiece to the new Spiderman films.

Why do MCU fans keep belittling X-Men like this. Its intellectually outright offensive. Have you ever seen a DCU fan questioning why Joker and Dark Knight are dark movies, insisting Batman movies should be more like Shazam and Aquaman. Its just so offensive.
    "Human" issues, whereas everything else in comic books are just fiction. Got it.

There has always been humor in much of the X-Men, for the past couple of decades the focus has been grim for many of the most popular books. It used to be that the X-Men played baseball together, go out for drinks, and laugh a little. X-Men like Nightcrawler and Kitty could keep things lite with their humor - Wolverine could even be depended upon to make a humorous comment. The New Mutants and especially Excalibur were definitely lighter in tone than most of the other books. When New Mutants became X-Force, it definitely got darker as Cable became the focus.

Since the beginning, the X-Men have always used their younger students/members to draw in younger readers, so I'm not sure how you have interpreted that the series is made only for adults.

So, while the X-books have been darker than most of the other Marvel titles, it's no Walking Dead.

And I'm just trying to anticipate how Marvel will handle atmosphere. The X-Men films could potentially out earn the Avengers due to their popularity, and to capitalize, Marvel will make the films family-friendly. They absolutely will. It's how they approach it that makes all the difference - they don't want some awful hybrid like what the Fox films turned into.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    "Human" issues, whereas everything else in comic books are just fiction. Got it.

There has always been humor in much of the X-Men, for the past couple of decades the focus has been grim for many of the most popular books. It used to be that the X-Men played baseball together, go out for drinks, and laugh a little. X-Men like Nightcrawler and Kitty could keep things lite with their humor - Wolverine could even be depended upon to make a humorous comment. The New Mutants and especially Excalibur were definitely lighter in tone than most of the other books. When New Mutants became X-Force, it definitely got darker as Cable became the focus.

Since the beginning, the X-Men have always used their younger students/members to draw in younger readers, so I'm not sure how you have interpreted that the series is made only for adults.

So, while the X-books have been darker than most of the other Marvel titles, it's no Walking Dead.

And I'm just trying to anticipate how Marvel will handle atmosphere. The X-Men films could potentially out earn the Avengers due to their popularity, and to capitalize, Marvel will make the films family-friendly. They absolutely will. It's how they approach it that makes all the difference - they don't want some awful hybrid like what the Fox films turned into.
    Yeah, I think its kids/teens that really made the X-Men popular and many fans on here started reading them around 10 ish even before (I was 8) or because of the FOX kids show. There have always been darker themed childrens entertainment dealing with human issues since even more "wholesome" 50s times and there have been fun/funny even hopeful films aimed at adults. Let me tell you the 80s had plenty of serious content that kids got involved in not just including comics.