Default A quick question about The Atom Al Pratt

I was wondering when The Atom switched to this costume?

This isnt the costume I remeber but an Atom two pack action figure set I am going to buy on Amazon has one of him in this outfit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

In FLASH COMICS 98 (August 1948), "Terror Rides the Rails," designed by new artist Carmine Infantino. Carmine did the art on three of the features in that issue--Ghost Patrol, the Atom and Black Canary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In FLASH COMICS 98 (August 1948), "Terror Rides the Rails," designed by new artist Carmine Infantino. Carmine did the art on three of the features in that issue--Ghost Patrol, the Atom and Black Canary.
    Thanks. Did this costume last awhile or was it a one shot thing?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Thanks. Did this costume last awhile or was it a one shot thing?
    This was the costume after that--even though Infantino's duties on the Atom was a one time thing and Paul Reinman was the main artist for the character (at that time). When the Atom was brought back in the 1960s he had that costume and kept it right through to the end of Earth-Two. This is different from Sandman who went back to his original costume when he returned in the 1960s.

Over in ALL-STAR SQUADRON, because it took place in 1942, Atom had his old costume--which I think Roy Thomas preferred. But Thomas gave an explanation for why Al would later adopt the new costume--and also how Al would gain his atomic powers.

Once the JSA returned in the 1990s, Atom was back to wearing a costume that looked like the old one--with his gimp mask. Al was such a fetish freak, lord love him.

Around the same time as the Flash issue, it also appeared in All-Star Comics #42, Aug-Sep 1948, "The Man Who Hated Science."

There was no explanation given at the time, but Roy Thomas later did a retcon where Atom redesigned his suit to pattern it after Cyclotron who died saving the All-Star Squadron from the Ultra-Humanite. Cyclotron's grandson is Nuklon/Atom Smasher of Infinity, Inc.

This new costume was Atom's costume from its 1948 introduction until the 1990s JSA series.

While I find the Cycolotron costume to be a better design, the full-mask, bare-limbs are what I think of when I think of Al Pratt. I also think it looks better when he's in the JSA - the newer outfit works as a solo hero, but standing with the others, it's kinda too similar, which actually hurts everyone in the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they had Sandman go back to the more pulpy outfit - it stands out more in that lineup. (and it's awesome)

Boisterously Confused

The Atom kept his 1948 costume up until the JSA was shuffled off to oblivion following CoIE. When they brought the JS back in 1992, they gave him something that hearkened back a bit more to his original look.

Image.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that change in costume is when we began to see Al Pratt manifest superhuman strength as well.