Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Liar Liara is coming off as Tamaki's Devastation, Genocide, or First Born in that she's not really being well-received by fans and will probably be a one-run wonder until some writer like Steve Orlando comes along in 10 or 20 years from now and may use the character out of nostalgia. Between the new pet villains and non-exclusive Wonder villains like Max Lord, Count Vertigo, and Deathstroke, this is starting to seem like it could have been a run for just about any DCU character, not just Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I mean, Lair Liar could work as you know a wonder girl villain rather than a wonder woman one.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Liar Liara is coming off as Tamaki's Devastation, Genocide, or First Born in that she's not really being well-received by fans and will probably be a one-run wonder until some writer like Steve Orlando comes along in 10 or 20 years from now and may use the character out of nostalgia. Between the new pet villains and non-exclusive Wonder villains like Max Lord, Count Vertigo, and Deathstroke, this is starting to seem like it could have been a run for just about any DCU character, not just Wonder Woman.
    Hmm, I shudder for the day when there's nostalgia for the First Born.

But yeah, this story's reminding me of the Fontana fill-in arc after Rucka.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

deathstroke appeared in this run?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    deathstroke appeared in this run?
    He will based on solicits.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I mean, Lair Liar could work as you know a wonder girl villain rather than a wonder woman one.

That's what I was thinking too. Why create another villain with mental abilities when Diana already has Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception? Liar Liar would be a much better match for Donna or Cassie.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, I shudder for the day when there's nostalgia for the First Born.

But yeah, this story's reminding me of the Fontana fill-in arc after Rucka.

Agreed on both points. I was shocked that Jim Lee even included the First Born on his recent variant cover for Wonder Woman #750 but I'm guessing he felt he had to use someone from the New 52 so the First Born got picked out of all of the slim pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    He will based on solicits.
    And what is deathstroke supposed to do? Doesn't a high tier like WW have better things to do than fighting street levelers?

Agreed on both points. I was shocked that Jim Lee even included the First Born on his recent variant cover for Wonder Woman #750 but I'm guessing he felt he had to use someone from the New 52 so the First Born got picked out of all of the slim pickings.
    Yeah, there was some odd villain inclusions there, like Ares without his helmet.

Or Max Lord being there at all.
    And what is deathstroke supposed to do? Doesn't a high tier like WW have better things to do than fighting street levelers?
    To be fair, Deathstroke has often been punching way above his weight class so this isn't restricted to her.

That's what I was thinking too. Why create another villain with mental abilities when Diana already has Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception? Liar Liar would be a much better match for Donna or Cassie.
    There was also already a "daughter of telepathic villain" Lya, the daughter of the Duke of Deception. Having another one is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, there was some odd villain inclusions there, like Ares without his helmet.

Or Max Lord being there at all.

To be fair, Deathstroke has often been punching way above his weight class so this isn't restricted to her.
    Problem is that with the way DC has been treating her. There are certain points where one can wonder if she truly is way above his weight class nowadays. So i'm curious as to how they will use him in the book.

Problem is that with the way DC has been treating her. There are certain points where one can wonder if she truly is way above his weight class nowadays. So i'm curious as to how they will use him in the book.
    Last issue Diana got into a car accident and had her arm on her shoulder in pain, we didn't even get to see her stopping a nuke, before that I genuinely wondered if she could still fly, thus far the most impressive thing she's done on panel is unknowingly kill 2 squads of marines (oddly with no repercussions). So it seems to me that Tamaki believes Deathstroke is going to present a challenge.

I want to start writing a wonder girl story or at least have her the B story in the main title, where Diana is off planet and Cassie has to defend Gateway city on her own. I think the Minotaur and LL are great starting villains for her, maybe even revamp some of Diana's "weaker" golden age villains and use them too.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Last issue Diana got into a car accident and had her arm on her shoulder in pain, we didn't even get to see her stopping a nuke, before that I genuinely wondered if she could still fly, thus far the most impressive thing she's done on panel is unknowingly kill 2 squads of marines (oddly with no repercussions). So it seems to me that Tamaki believes Deathstroke is going to present a challenge.
    The most frustrating type of writers for me. Is the kind that fill their mouths talking about how WW is a Goddess. Only to show her fighting street levelers later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    There was also already a "daughter of telepathic villain" Lya, the daughter of the Duke of Deception. Having another one is just silly.
    I think Maxwell Lord and Liar Liar are shaking up to be modern day versions of the Duke of Deception and his daughter Lya. Not saying it's being done well, but their abilities, family connection and the latter's names are probably too similar to for it to be coincidental. Under a more dynamic writer this could have been good instead of merely mediocre.

WW V duke-of-deception.jpg