Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

I'd prefer the boots to be blue. Otherwise, amazing.

Truly beautiful artwork.

Amazing Member

The only thing that keeps bothering me is that they have her still using her sword way too often when it should be used rarely.

I mean what is the point of her using her sword against animals? (dinosaurs!?)

When will they finally make her use the sword only against mindless really powerful monsters like doomsday where there is no other way to harm them and not for any other living thing?

Quote Originally Posted by kochtgr View Post
    The only thing that keeps bothering me is that they have her still using her sword way too often when it should be used rarely.

When will they finally make her use the sword only against mindless really powerful monsters like doomsday where there is no other way to harm them and not for any other living thing?
    I’m still bothered as well. Jim Lee’s variant cover for Tamaki/Janin’s first issue shows her with sword and shield in hand—no lasso to be found.

Janin’s art looks phenomenal with Bellarie coloring him. A pity he’s only on for two issues.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Janin’s art looks phenomenal with Bellarie coloring him. A pity he’s only on for two issues.
    I know right! I’m really enjoying Janin”s art.
    Any information on who the regular artist will be?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

At this point I just stopped caring. DC is going full-on with this warrior mode and its annoying. She isn't going to cut anyone in half or slice heads off so I don't see the point in carrying a sword since its made exactly for that. It does seem that in some instances she doesn't use it as seen in Janin's artwork.

Amusingly just as the movie it's clearly trying to have synergy with seem to be ditching the the sword and shield going by the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Amusingly just as the movie it's clearly trying to have synergy with seem to be ditching the the sword and shield going by the trailers.
    I'm hoping the movie will put an end to the sword and shield nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think the only way to do so is to get editors on Wonder Woman who groks Diana. Right now the mainline DC editors seems to be people who reject Diana's feminist values.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas71 View Post

After the last couple of years of rotating artists on this book, I don't even think DC knows the answer to that question.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think the only way to do so is to get editors on Wonder Woman who groks Diana. Right now the mainline DC editors seems to be people who reject Diana's feminist values.
    Yeah, going with this. Think to many in DC editorial, WW with a sword is just a part of her default in their view. Same way with Batman and his grappling gun for example.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    When did wielding a sword and having feminist values become incompatible or mutually exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Breasts aren't "excessive sexualization" I'm not asking for a lot here. This is like if Sandra Bullock or some other waif thin girl next door starred as Wonder Woman, there's absolutely no oomph.
    On that same note, you claimed that the art is "desexualised"...is it because the art shows Diana with a small cup? Does she have to have giant boobs in order for you to feel that the art is not"desexualised"?
    What is "oomph" in the context of superheroes?
    Why does Wonder Woman have to have "oomph" and why are you seemingly equating "oomph" with "big breasts"?
    Your overall argument seems to be congruent with what the online trolls complained about when Gal Gadot was cast as Diana ("SHe has no boobs! WW should be built like Gina Carano! Where is the oomph?? She is not va-va-voom enough to be Wonder Woman! She is flat as a pancake!")
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 07-04-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    When did wielding a sword and having feminist values become incompatible or mutually exclusive?

On that same note, you claimed that the art is "desexualised"...is it because the art shows Diana with a small cup? Does she have to have giant boobs in order for you to feel that the art is not"desexualised"?
    What is "oomph" in the context of superheroes?
    Why does Wonder Woman have to have "oomph" and why are you seemingly equating "oomph" with "big breasts"?
    Your overall argument seems to be congruent with what the online trolls complained about when Gal Gadot was cast as Diana ("SHe has no boobs! WW should be built like Gina Carano! Where is the oomph?? She is not va-va-voom enough to be Wonder Woman! She is flat as a pancake!")
    For me, 'desexualized' (and how it relates to this art) - the focus isn't on cleavage, butt, or, worse, cleavage *and* butt. The foot on Max's back isn't to give you an upshot of her skirt.

Overall, it feels like a powerful woman in action and not simply a female character posing to show off her assets.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Never, in the general sense.

However, in the specific case of Wonder Woman, the sword isn't her primary and iconic weapon: it's the lasso. Now, the lasso can also be written badly, but to me the focus on the sword by modern DC has been combined with a Diana who is primarily after solving problems by force and violence, and who is a warrior first rather than a teacher, diplomat, or leader.

From the viewpoint of iconography, the sword is also not needed. Her lasso, her tiara, and her dress are more than enough to identify her.

This does not mean that Diana should never have a sword. But there should be an in-story reason for why she is carrying or using it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas71 View Post
    Carlo Barberi is on the solicits for 761-763 but don't think there's been an official announcement saying he's taking over long term so he might also rotate off. Here's a sample of his work from Super Sons: