Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    No. But it's a story that depends on a huge retcon-slash-reveal of Superman's past for several years, that doesn't really say anything about Diana's personality or showcase her powers in interesting ways, where Superman is the central character of the story, and where Diana saves both Batman and Superman and is then blamed by them for it.

I've shown Sacrifice to people who became Wonder Woman fans after reading it.

How could it not showcase Wonder Woman's powers in interesting ways when she used her tiara to slice Superman's throat? How does it not say something about her personality when she asked the right question and was resolute enough to do what had to be done based on the answer, despite the consequences?

It's a beloved story and in it she comes off looking better than Superman or Batman. That's what makes it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    To clarify, the sequence of events is as follows:

* Dr Light rapes Sue Dibny.

* The Justice League mindwipes him and turns him into a bumbling idiot so he can never do something like that again.

* Batman discovers this and the League erases his memories.

* Batman later recovers his memories and realizes the League had been mindwiping other people like Catwoman as well.

* Batman creates Brother Eye to monitor the metahuman population.
    Yeah, feels like the entire JL was trashed to make Batman look more moral than them and to justify how poorly he's treated them and the immoral actions he later takes and, of course, generate angst. Brought forth several of retcons that reverted former/reformed villains to villains (sometimes ones that had been well-transitioned, other times light-switched ones).

Oh, and it character assassinated Jean Loring into a psycho murderer trying to get Ray's attention. Though, from what I've heard (not read myself), the last time we'd seen her, it was Ray interested in a second shot at their romance and Jean opposed.

I was so glad it was erased from continuity, but now it looks like it will be back with 5G? And I guess Ralph and Sue will be dead again? Or at least Sue?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I've shown Sacrifice to people who became Wonder Woman fans after reading it.

How could it not showcase Wonder Woman's powers in interesting ways when she used her tiara to slice Superman's throat? How does it not say something about her personality when she asked the right question and was resolute enough to do what had to be done based on the answer, despite the consequences?

It's a beloved story and in it she comes off looking better than Superman or Batman. That's what makes it good.
    It's not a self contained story though, and was done to push her forward towards a problematic direction as part of a larger DC-wide arc that didn't do the Trinity any favors in the long run. Rucka did his part ok, but he did not have full control. It's dependent on outside titles to be complete, and those stories are bad.

I'd rather not have a story that makes any of the Trinity look bad to prop up others. The overall direction made her look bad in favor of the other two, and Sacrifice itself made Superman look like an ******* in his reaction. Screw the whole scene. If we're pitting Diana against another one of the Trinity, the Hiketeia is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's not a self contained story though, and was done to push her forward towards a problematic direction as part of a larger DC-wide arc that didn't do the Trinity any favors in the long run. Rucka did his part ok, but he did not have full control. It's dependent on outside titles to be complete, and those stories are bad.

I'd rather not have a story that makes any of the Trinity look bad to prop up others. The overall direction made her look bad in favor of the other two, and Sacrifice itself made Superman look like an ******* in his reaction. Screw the whole scene. If we're pitting Diana against another one of the Trinity, the Hiketeia is far better.
    Interesting. Self contained? No. But all you really need is to read Wonder Woman #219 to know the conclusion and that's all that matters. The fact remains Wonder Woman took out a threat where Superman and Batman failed, and again, that's all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Interesting. Self contained? No. But all you really need is to read Wonder Woman #219 to know the conclusion and that's all that matters. The fact remains Wonder Woman took out a threat where Superman and Batman failed, and again, that's all that really matters.
    I agree with you! I don’t think it should’ve been as negative as it was received. Superman out of all people should understand. He’s unstoppable

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Incredible Member

The art is BEAUTIFUL!!! I never realized how much I wanted Diana to have a pet bunny until now. I'm looking forward to this Maxwell Lord plot. I hope it's a success because I would love to see a lot more of him in the Wonder mythos.

Yeah, art looks great though minor quibble with Ares having a mouth while in the blue armor. As a Dinosaur nerd I like that it seems the Dinosaurs have feathers on them.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-01-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Janin's art looks amazing! I hope he stays on the book more than 2 issues.

Am I the only one not excited about Diana switching cities yet again???
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is the agent with blond hair confirmed to be steve trevor? Wonder if we'll get the romance back this arc. The breakup always felt forced.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    The teen with the hat looks like the new villain, Liar Liar.

Extraordinary Member

CBR has an interview with Janin, sounds like he would like to work Tamaki again but as of now there are no plans for him to do more than the first two issues of her run.

They also have the colored versions of the art he posted:

Extraordinary Member

Great artwork!