Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Pants just aren't "Wonder Woman" to me and I love the old boots, but they belong with the star spangled shorts. The whole point of the new costume (or the main one) was to get away from the patriotic theme and lean into the sword and sandal warrior angle.
    Yeah, but it feels so much less like a superhero costume now. Like, I get it as the look for the films, but it's not as colorful or striking as her classic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, but it feels so much less like a superhero costume now. Like, I get it as the look for the films, but it's not as colorful or striking as her classic look.
    There is no singular look for a superhero costume. All of them have unique aspects to them as it should be. I don't hear people saying Batman's costume isn't a superhero costume because it's black and grey.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They finally struck gold with an updated costume for her that looks more sensible but is also still instantly recognizable. That's a difficult thing to achieve, but it finally took live action to do it after the comics have tried a few times and failed.

I say leave it be. It speaks volumes that some of her best writers and artists (Rucka, Jimenez, Scott) took to the costume immediately.

I think it totally looks like a Superhero costume. Strong, feminine, rooted in her culture...I don't see how it looks any less like a Superhero look.

I mean, it's basically like if you added a skirt to the classic look, and it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They finally struck gold with an updated costume for her that looks more sensible but is also still instantly recognizable. That's a difficult thing to achieve, but it finally took live action to do it after the comics have tried a few times and failed.

I say leave it be. It speaks volumes that some of her best writers and artists (Rucka, Jimenez, Scott) took to the costume immediately.
    Yeah, I haven't seen a modern costume update this successful since Carol Danvers, and I think Diana has the better costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like we've gotten so many near-misses with pants that it's probably inevitable they'll try it again.

I don't think they should, but that's just me.
    Agreed, the current costume is fantastic. Don't even care that it's just copying the movie costume, it's a damn near perfect update to the classic and I wouldn't want to change it for anything.

They probably will though. We actually had a perfect update for Superman after Reborn, and they put him back in the classic suit anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I think it totally looks like a Superhero costume. Strong, feminine, rooted in her culture...I don't see how it looks any less like a Superhero look.

I mean, it's basically like if you added a skirt to the classic look, and it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is no singular look for a superhero costume. All of them have unique aspects to them as it should be. I don't hear people saying Batman's costume isn't a superhero costume because it's black and grey.
    Yeah, but Batman's classic costume also follows a key trend that is followed by the majority of superhero costumes: it's simple and sleek. That's as true for Batman as it is for Spider-Man as it is for Superman as it for Flash. In fact, one of the biggest complaints of the New 52 redesigns was that they took all these beautifully simplistic costumes and "armorfied" them with busy lines and patterns all over the place.

I think that this look for Diana is just so...overly complicated. It has lines and zigzags where it doesn't really need them like on the boots and on her battle skirt.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed, the current costume is fantastic. Don't even care that it's just copying the movie costume, it's a damn near perfect update to the classic and I wouldn't want to change it for anything.

They probably will though. We actually had a perfect update for Superman after Reborn, and they put him back in the classic suit anyway.

I think the current costume is great when the artist draws stars on the tiara and skirt. Without the stars, it looks sort of blah & generic.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yeah, but Batman's classic costume also follows a key trend that is followed by the majority of superhero costumes: it's simple and sleek. That's as true for Batman as it is for Spider-Man as it is for Superman as it for Flash. In fact, one of the biggest complaints of the New 52 redesigns was that they took all these beautifully simplistic costumes and "armorfied" them with busy lines and patterns all over the place.

I think that this look for Diana is just so...overly complicated. It has lines and zigzags where it doesn't really need them like on the boots and on her battle skirt.
    Even for a costume based around the movie version, I think it's pretty streamlined, which is probably why it gets used so much. Although even the New 52 WW costume wasn't that busy or complicated.

The lines just kind of add to them being battle armor for an Amazonian warrior in my opinion. But it's nowhere near New 52 Batman or Superman levels.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it largely depends on who is drawing it. Overall, it would't say it's too busy at all especially in the hands of artists like Scott or Jimenez. It already is pretty streamlined and just as colorful as her classic look. Scott also extended the lines and stuff to other Amazons like Hippolyta, Philippus and Areto and it looked great on them.

Wonder Woman.jpg

Nicola Scott Wonder Woman.jpg

Even the New 52 one wasn't that bad compared to some designs we've seen in this genre, though mostly when it was drawn by Chiang.

Incredible Member

Yeah, uh.....I'm not really that sold. Mostly because of the color palette. Also...I think it might be time to at least tweak the costume again. Maybe they could experiment with giving her pants again? Or at least simplify the skirt and the boots. I really love her classic boots.
    There is that splash page from the end of Doomsday Clock (https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress...y-Clock-04.png) where Diana is in pants again. But, I'm guessing the new costume may have been tied to 5G and who knows what's happening with that?

Personally, I wish they'd give Diana a variety of costumes. A more "superheroic" pants and sleeveless top look for her "team up" work in Justice League. A more "Themysciran / Grecian armour" look for her solo title. And throw in a bit of variety from time to time.

Thing is the future stuff he shows in DDC is likely just all conjecture on his part, his own imaginings and musings of what the post-5G verse would look like, with none of it likely to occur since he's not in power anymore at DC. Now on top of that we have Didio fired so 5G isn't even happening anymore as originally intended. In other words we probably can't look to anything in DDC as hinting of much.

All that said I do think the pants look good on her though. I'm frankly tired of the armor look, regardless how it fits the character.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-23-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think the current costume is great when the artist draws stars on the tiara and skirt. Without the stars, it looks sort of blah & generic.
    I can agree there! Diana needs stars on her costume.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thing is the future stuff he shows in DDC is likely just all conjecture on his part, his own imaginings and musings of what the post-5G verse would look like, with none of it likely to occur since he's not in power anymore at DC. Now on top of that we have Didio fired so 5G isn't even happening anymore as originally intended. In other words we probably can't look to anything in DDC as hinting of much.

All that said I do think the pants look good on her though. I'm frankly tired of the armor look, regardless how it fits the character.
    I think pants kind of just defeat the point for the kind of Superhero Wonder Woman is supposed to be, but that's just me.

I think pants kind of just defeat the point for the kind of Superhero Wonder Woman is supposed to be, but that's just me.
    I on the other hand would like see Wonder Woman in patterned pants.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

What kind of superhero do you think Diana is supposed to be?