Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Mariko Tamaki announced as new Wonder Woman writer

THR: Mariko Tamaki Takes Over DC's 'Wonder Woman' This Summer

• Mariko Tamaki takes over with issue #759
    • Mikel Janin will illustrate #759 and #760, David Marquez on covers

Interesting. I liked her "Being Super", though I wasn't blown away by it. "Breaking Glass" didn't really work for me, though that was more the premise of the story rather than the story itself. But it's clear Tamaki has no trouble writing queer character or understanding intersectionalism.

So I'm cautiously optimistic. I just hope her run won't be event-ed and editorial-ised to pieces, though between 5G and the return of Maxwell Lord (per the article) I don't dare get my hopes up that high.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

BANNED

So DC insists on bad writers to Wonder Woman... it´s a shame.

Yeah I’m not too happy about this.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

But...but ..orlando was doing so well...

Incredible Member

I just got back in and was really enjoying Orlando's run, so this change this soon is a bit of a bummer. I'd thought he'd get to stay on until the possible relaunch in fall. I hope he at least gets to finish cleaning up Donna Troy's origin and backstory before the hand off.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

good luck. have faith
    "Cable was right!"

Sigh...

I love that they keep giving women opportunities to write Wonder Woman, and hopefully one day we'll get one that really blows us all away. It could even be Tamaki... but her She-Hulk was one of the worst comics I've read in a long time (second only to She-Hulk's current portrayal in Avengers). So I'm not optimistic unfortunately.

It doesn't help that Maxwell Lord is literal poop, and it's very annoying that they keep forcing him on Wonder Woman as an adversary. I get it, he's in the new movie, but that doesn't suddenly make him a WW character when his history is in other areas of the DC Universe.

Incredible Member

Hm. The only thing of hers I've read is She-Hulk. I didn't last long on it, though. I thought the ideas were interesting, but the pacing was glacial.

Mikel Janin on art, though! It's gonna be pretty to look at...

Ugh. Tamaki and Max Lord, what an unattractive combination.

If I'm right, Max's Return to Prominence wont be for long, I've got a funny feeling he's distinctly a One Movie villain
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    If I'm right, Max's Return to Prominence wont be for long, I've got a funny feeling he's distinctly a One Movie villain
    I'm only excited for Max in the movie because Pedro Pascal is amazingly charming. But in the comics, he doesn't get any of Pascal's charisma and just feels wildly out of place. And I will literally drop the book if they bring back the "let's condemn Diana for snapping Lord's neck" storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm only excited for Max in the movie because Pedro Pascal is amazingly charming. But in the comics, he doesn't get any of Pascal's charisma and just feels wildly out of place. And I will literally drop the book if they bring back the "let's condemn Diana for snapping Lord's neck" storyline.
    Lets just snap Lord's Neck again. Also: I liked that story, plus I'm pretty sure thats where the movie is going.
    Last edited by Denirac; 03-09-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

DC has gotta stop playing musical chairs with this book and give us a writer that will be allowed to make big changes and will stay on the title..