Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Let's bet how long she will stay. I guess 8 issues and then we will have someone else.
    I feel like it's more fun to guess how long a writer is staying than reading the book...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Why?
    Why can't Wonder Woman get and keep a real top tier writer and artist?
    Why this abysmal creative inconsistency?
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I'll wait for the fall relaunch to make any judgments. Right now most things seem to be filler anyway. I'm more curious on how DC will treat Wonder Woman after finally implementing all that lip service about her being the first superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Another new writer! Who will probably introduce their own origin, backstory, abilities, weaponry, supporting cast of friends, family and foes, etc. How wonderful ... not so much.

When is Wonder Woman meant to get her pants? Or was that contingent on 5G going ahead and that's all up in the air now because of DiDio leaving?
    ...When did pants enter into this equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You think they’d put a new team on right before they replace Diana as WW? You may be right, DC is dumb enough to do that, but I hope you’re wrong. That’s basically what happened right before New 52 though, Diana got a quasi reboot. Ending her time with a movie tie in arc is the most maddening move DC could make imo.
    Yeah, I wouldn't doubt if DC did exactly that.

DC changes creators on this book more often than I change pants. Maybe Orlando leaving is a sign of changes in their plans. Or maybe it's just DC doing what DC does with books they can't cancel but don't know what to do with.

I mean.....it'd actually be more abnormal for DC to keep a consistent creative team here.

And did we even know if Orlando was supposed be the 5G guy in the first place?

Can't complain about those artists though; Janin and Marquez are legit.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

DC changes creators on this book more often than I change pants. Maybe Orlando leaving is a sign of changes in their plans. Or maybe it's just DC doing what DC does with books they can't cancel but don't know what to do with.

I mean.....it'd actually be more abnormal for DC to keep a consistent creative team here.

And did we even know if Orlando was supposed be the 5G guy in the first place?
    No, but I figured he'd be on the book until the relaunch at least. There seems to have been lot more laying the foundation for plots during his run which aren't likely to get pay off.

He's been setting up Donna Troy to get her origin and backstory straightened out. Now Donna is only scheduled to be coming back into the book in his second to last issue.

His last issue is Diana trying to defend Helen from the Phantom Stranger and I think the Quintessence? So any resolution to Donna will be rushed. Or any clean up to what Helen did as Warmaster to attract their attention for that matter.

He's also been dropping hints to some kind of follow up on Exoristos from Demon Knights and her eventual fate. There's not going to be any time for that.

I also don't see the Dark Fates being followed up on either.

It really feels like an abrupt replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What are the chances Cheetah will also pop up in this arc?
    I'd say pretty high. And she'll probably be Lord's henchwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Can't complain about those artists though; Janin and Marquez are legit.
    I can complain, it's too cartoony, Diana looks lanky, the skirts too long and the best part of the costume -the boots- don't appear to be armored. And what's with the pointy tips like elf shoes? Is she a ninja? Steve and Etta look okay though but hate that mohawk.

Sorry, the whole thing with the abrupt inconsistency puts me in a bad mood.

Incredible Member

...When did pants enter into this equation?
    I may be misremembering, but I thought there was an upcoming cover ... or maybe a splash page with Wonder Woman in a new costume, along with ... Donna Troy and Maggie (?) also in similar-ish costumes / armour?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I may be misremembering, but I thought there was an upcoming cover ... or maybe a splash page with Wonder Woman in a new costume, along with ... Donna Troy and Maggie (?) also in similar-ish costumes / armour?
    I think you may be talking about the final page of Doomsday Clock?

download (40).jpg

That's the only recent image I can recall with pants.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I think you may be talking about the final page of Doomsday Clock?
    That’s it! Thank you. I thought it was teasing an upcoming costume change, but maybe not?

I don't know what it is about this title that the female writers work seems to be less well-received then the male ones, at least from my perspective. Like Rucka/Orlando and even Azzarello to a certain extent seem better received then Fontana/Wilson/Finch etc.

Robinson was probably the biggest outlier of a male writer being universally disliked on the book.
    It is unfortunate that they haven't found a female writer that can wow the majority of WW fans, and to be honest, I didn't really enjoy much of the three women you mentioned. Finch in particular, but it's no secret how widely disliked her run is. Fontana and Wilson I'd place with Gail Simone's run (among several male writers) as mediocre at best, and slightly dull. I don't know how fare it is to lump Fontana in with it, though, since she only really had 5 issues (bland as they were).

On the flip side, Renae de Liz was widely praised for her Legend of Wonder Woman, and there's also Joye Murchison who famously took over Marston's writing role without missing a beat.

That said, I'm always happy when they give female writers the opportunity to work on the character. It's just that Mariko Tamaki's She-Hulk was the worst in the character's history of solo comics, and She-Hulk is similar to Wonder Woman in several ways. And it doesn't help throwing Maxwell Lord into the equation when he's been a divisive (at best) addition to the pages of Wonder Woman in the past. So it's not exactly setting a high bar for me. But I really, really hope I'm wrong and that Tamaki writes some of the best Wonder Woman out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I also don't see the Dark Fates being followed up on either.
    They'll probably be followed up again when Steve Orlando is put on as temporary writer after Tamaki. He seems to be WW's bridesmaid and never the bride.

But for real, the Dark Fates are some of the coolest new additions to WW's rogues gallery and I really hope they aren't just dropped into limbo like the First Born or the Morrigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'd say pretty high. And she'll probably be Lord's henchwoman
    Vomit.

One has to wonder why Maxwell Lord is even needed as the "corrupt businessman/mastermind" villain when we already have Veronica Cale...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    One has to wonder why Maxwell Lord is even needed as the "corrupt businessman/mastermind" villain when we already have Veronica Cale...
    To be fair, Veronica Cale is reasonably new as villains go, though I view her as the spiritual successor to Marston's Paula von Guenther.

For those into Maxwell Lord's mind control powers, Doctor Psycho is right there. I can understand not wanting to use Marston's original depiction, but Grant Morrison successfully modernised the character back with Earth One.

Really, there has been a clear lack of imagination with Wonder Woman's villains for a long time, so much so that I think the issue is with editorial and not the individual writers, and the same goes for Wonder Woman's social dimension.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

She's probably just writing a movie tie-in arc before 5G.