Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Can swap out that statement with Wonder Woman being less of a big deal than Superman, and it would also serve as a reason for why it's probably not reported if there is a relaunch.

I agree it isn't bad just largely uninteresting to me, like the filler arc in between when Rucka's run ended and when Robinson's started. Though I guess in comparison to Robinson and Wilson's run, I guess I'll take uninteresting.
    It’s been one nonstop blur of filler for me since Rucka left. We got a bunch of inconsequential one off arcs between Rucka and Robinson. Then Robinson was brought on board to fulfill the editorial mandate of tying up loose threads from Darkseid War with Jason. Then there was more filler (although Orlando wrote a great Mayfly issue that I love) until Wilson came on board. Her run was mostly boring and inconsequential until she bailed and then Orlando got another try. He clearly wanted to write a big run but got shut down and now we’re at Tamaki who feels like another Robinson/Wilson fulfilling an editorial mandate, namely that they want a WW vs. Max Lord arc completed and collected in time for WW1984.

I just am so frustrated. I want a great WW book. I’m not picky, I loved both Azzarelo and Rucka’s runs, I don’t get why it’s been so hard for DC to put together a creative team that can hold my interest. Admittedly I’m also unsure who I would want to take over the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s been one nonstop blur of filler for me since Rucka left. We got a bunch of inconsequential one off arcs between Rucka and Robinson. Then Robinson was brought on board to fulfill the editorial mandate of tying up loose threads from Darkseid War with Jason. Then there was more filler (although Orlando wrote a great Mayfly issue that I love) until Wilson came on board. Her run was mostly boring and inconsequential until she bailed and then Orlando got another try. He clearly wanted to write a big run but got shut down and now we’re at Tamaki who feels like another Robinson/Wilson fulfilling an editorial mandate, namely that they want a WW vs. Max Lord arc completed and collected in time for WW1984.

I just am so frustrated. I want a great WW book. I’m not picky, I loved both Azzarelo and Rucka’s runs, I don’t get why it’s been so hard for DC to put together a creative team that can hold my interest. Admittedly I’m also unsure who I would want to take over the book.
    Yeah, feels like all the new continuity built by Rucka during the first year of Rebirth has been largely wasted. Poor Olrando though, always the bridesmaid never the bride. Even if that Mayfly issue was pretty great.

Long shot but I'm pulling for Renae De Liz on a main book given she's apparently working with DC again in a capacity. Or DeConnick I guess depending on how Historia goes and some stuff I've seen from Aquaman seems to suggest she's got a good handle on Diana.

Deconnick probably wouldn't be a bad pick. I didn't know De Liz went back to DC. I thought she had a falling out with them? Though, the old guard at DC is gone now, so even people like Waid are coming back.

It's strange, I want a "big name" on WW but there isn't many I'd suggest for her. Some people say Snyder or Johns but I don't think they get her that well.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Deconnick probably wouldn't be a bad pick. I didn't know De Liz went back to DC. I thought she had a falling out with them? Though, the old guard at DC is gone now, so even people like Waid are coming back.

It's strange, I want a "big name" on WW but there isn't many I'd suggest for her. Some people say Snyder or Johns but I don't think they get her that well.
    She did, but I’m pretty sure it was moreso her husband they were angry at, and like you said the old guard is gone. I suspect it’s a clean slate for everyone with regards to DC.

Yeah I dunno about Johns, I felt like he improved with her with Darkseid War given he actually finally read some of her Golden Age stuff. He would definitely use some of her old villains, he referenced Red Panzer “fascist legions” and Minister Blizzard’s “religious fanatics” which intrigued me. I’d give him a shot.

Snyder is a pass for me. He is only interested in Batman, he’s made that abundantly clear. I’d rather see Tynion on the title since he’s queer and he wrote both Diana and Circe well in JLD imo.

KSD I would like to see, but she passed on Supergirl because in her words “she had said all she wanted to say about ultra powerful blondes”. Not sure if she’s similarly disinterested in Diana in account of her power level but I’d like to see her take a stab. Of course since they brought Rucka back, I’d love to see Simone get another chance as well. She got screwed by editorial too. Otherwise yeah no one currently at DC really jumps out to me as a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post

Double-edged sword of wanting one of the "big names" on the book so it has a better chance of being successful but most of the big names (Johns, Snyder, Taylor, King, etc) have a tenuous grasp on her outside of "the haughty warrior woman".

Johns got better with her as time went on but I don't think most will disagree that his Trinity stuff is weaker in comparison to say GL, Flash, or Aquaman. Snyder's not bad as far most go but can't really think of many instances of him writing her where he tried to get into her head, then again you could probably say this about any DC character who isn't Batman when it comes to Snyder.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-12-2020 at 09:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Double-edged sword of wanting one of the "big names" on the book so it has a better chance of being successful but most of the big names (Johns, Snyder, Taylor, King, etc) have a tenuous grasp on her outside of "the haughty warrior woman".

Johns got better with her as time went on but I don't think most will disagree that his Trinity stuff is weaker in comparison to say GL, Flash, or Aquaman. Snyder's not bad as far most go but can't really think of many instances of him writing her where he tried to get into her head, then again you could probably say this about any DC character who isn't Batman when it comes to Snyder.
    Johns gets better with WW... Really? I mean the last time I read her is in Darkseid War and if that is not bad, I don't know what it is. Though you are right Johns really can't write Trinity.

The problem with Johns is that he's become as unreliable as Jim Lee due to being too in the business. He doesn't have time for an ongoing.

I would be perfectly fine with someone outside the norm, but WW has kinda had that and it hasn't typically worked.

I'd be fine with Simone getting another shake same way as I'm fine with Waid on Superman. If editorial is more handsoff she can do well. I saw her name on some Death metal books so maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Johns gets better with WW... Really? I mean the last time I read her is in Darkseid War and if that is not bad, I don't know what it is. Though you are right Johns really can't write Trinity.
    Don't read Infinite Crisis or the first arc of New 52 Justice League then.

I think Wonder Woman is in need of some sort of paradigm shift, and I also think that it'd require both the right writer and that DC's editorial refocus on the core job of an editor when it comes to stories: to recognise good stories and make them better.

If we look at Wonder Woman post-Pérez, nearly every writer has followed the template that he set up, in that Wonder Woman acts as a protector of the mundane world against mythological incursions, or mediates between mythological factions. When Pérez introduced those themes, it was an innovation, but I think it has become a straitjacket now.

Rather, I'd like to see an attempt to get a humanity-centered Wonder Woman, in some way: of Diana as an agent of change for humanity and human society. Now, this has never gone away wholly, and stories like Hiketeia, pieces of Wilson's run, or Tempest Tossed by Laurie Halse Anderson shows what can be done, but none of them has been a slam-dunk that was followed through. The closest we got to that was the 2017 movie, that had Diana's relation to humanity as a core part of its story.

This does not mean that you need to remove Diana's mythological background, but it's about reframing it, viewing it in a different light, and maybe make the stories less about the gods and more about what they represent.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

She did, but I’m pretty sure it was moreso her husband they were angry at, and like you said the old guard is gone. I suspect it’s a clean slate for everyone with regards to DC.

Yeah I dunno about Johns, I felt like he improved with her with Darkseid War given he actually finally read some of her Golden Age stuff. He would definitely use some of her old villains, he referenced Red Panzer “fascist legions” and Minister Blizzard’s “religious fanatics” which intrigued me. I’d give him a shot.

Snyder is a pass for me. He is only interested in Batman, he’s made that abundantly clear. I’d rather see Tynion on the title since he’s queer and he wrote both Diana and Circe well in JLD imo.

KSD I would like to see, but she passed on Supergirl because in her words “she had said all she wanted to say about ultra powerful blondes”. Not sure if she’s similarly disinterested in Diana in account of her power level but I’d like to see her take a stab. Of course since they brought Rucka back, I’d love to see Simone get another chance as well. She got screwed by editorial too. Otherwise yeah no one currently at DC really jumps out to me as a good choice.
    I'd probably like to see him also, if only to see how he'd write in her in non-horror stuff. He writes a bit more "warrior woman" than I like but JLD has been Diana's best book since Rucka and role on a team since...ever?

Tynion is pretty deep in Batman at the moment and I just don't see him doing that AND wonder woman.

I didn't know DeConnick was offered Supergirl. Kara is different enough from Carol that I think it would've been an interesting thing to see...probably wouldn't have made her evil at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't know DeConnick was offered Supergirl. Kara is different enough from Carol that I think it would've been an interesting thing to see...probably wouldn't have made her evil at least.
    Ironically, still ended up writing a blonde (even if not ultra powerful).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bendis pitched the idea to her when he was in the hospital around the same time he pitched Lois to Rucka and Jimmy to Fraction.

Bendis pitched the idea to her when he was in the hospital around the same time he pitched Lois to Rucka and Jimmy to Fraction.
    He really wanted all his buddies on Superman books .