Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 345
  1. #46
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,880

    Default

    Either Orlando dipped or DC decided to take Twitter's useless advice and kick him off for a female creator.

    It seems Maxwell Lord is in this book and I haven't seen him since Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. That was chef's kiss.

    Also Tamaki on that Supergirl: Being Super was good but I hope for your guys' sake it isn't like She-Hulk run (with dragged out for trade boring stories) or X-23 (where it's rehashed ideas from the previous writer).

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    She's probably just writing a movie tie-in arc before 5G.
    Could've done that without kicking Orlando.

    Honestly I need to catch up cuz I'm still not at the Grail storyline.
    "Cable was right!"

  2. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,823

    Default

    Even if you didn't like Tamaki's She-Hulk she was dealing with a status quo that she did not create for Jen. Blaming her for that story is unfair.

  3. #48
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even if you didn't like Tamaki's She-Hulk she was dealing with a status quo that she did not create for Jen. Blaming her for that story is unfair.
    There are ways to write that stuff without sucking all the life and fun out of She-Hulk's character. I don't blame her for the new status quo but I do blame her for the bland, uninspiring plots and writing that had no resemblance to what came before her.

  4. #49
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even if you didn't like Tamaki's She-Hulk she was dealing with a status quo that she did not create for Jen. Blaming her for that story is unfair.
    The status quo excuse is pretty weak. Bendis killing Bruce Banner gave us Immortal Hulk. Geoff Johns "killing" Nightwing gave us Grayson: Agent of Spyral. Just need to get creative.
    "Cable was right!"

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,337

    Default

    I wonder if the reason Orlando is leaving is due to freelance thing. But that’s unlikely

  6. #51
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    On the flip side, Renae de Liz was widely praised for her Legend of Wonder Woman, and there's also Joye Murchison who famously took over Marston's writing role without missing a beat.
    De Liz on Legend of Wonder Woman was probably the biggest exception in modern times that I forgot to mention. Ironically also a writer who brought the character back to her Golden Age roots before 5G happened. She even had plans to introduce the other main DC heroes in that timeline, if I recall correctly.
    They'll probably be followed up again when Steve Orlando is put on as temporary writer after Tamaki. He seems to be WW's bridesmaid and never the bride.

    But for real, the Dark Fates are some of the coolest new additions to WW's rogues gallery and I really hope they aren't just dropped into limbo like the First Born or the Morrigan.
    Sad as it is to say, Orlando was always going to be temporary one way or another.
    Vomit.

    One has to wonder why Maxwell Lord is even needed as the "corrupt businessman/mastermind" villain when we already have Veronica Cale...
    Cale isn't in a live action movie coming out this year...although she was in an animated one last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    For those into Maxwell Lord's mind control powers, Doctor Psycho is right there. I can understand not wanting to use Marston's original depiction, but Grant Morrison successfully modernised the character back with Earth One.
    Not to mention he's practically a breakout character on the Harley Quinn cartoon. Of all the villains they've brought back as of late, I'm surprised Psycho hasn't made the cut.

  7. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The status quo excuse is pretty weak. Bendis killing Bruce Banner gave us Immortal Hulk. Geoff Johns "killing" Nightwing gave us Grayson: Agent of Spyral. Just need to get creative.
    Yes some writers can make a silk purse out of another person's sow's ear. Not all of them can and it isn't a judgement of their skill.

  8. #53
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    DC has gotta stop playing musical chairs with this book and give us a writer that will be allowed to make big changes and will stay on the title..
    The book is crying for a big name writer and art team -- not someone with no name recognition. I know a name doesn't guarantee quality, but these newbs don't generate much interest.

  9. #54
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not to mention he's practically a breakout character on the Harley Quinn cartoon. Of all the villains they've brought back as of late, I'm surprised Psycho hasn't made the cut.
    I've finally been watching HQ and I must say, he is quite entertaining (though both Clayface and Kite-Man have stolen my heart). I'm also really surprised he hasn't had a big story lately... I have a hunch it may be because of the problematic elements of his character?

  10. #55
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    What would you say are the problematic aspects of his character? I know Rucka, back during his original run, emphasized that Psycho was kind of like a rapist. Is that what you're getting at?

    I definitely prefer him to Maxwell Lord, who I feel like editorial just dumped into the Wonder Woman book because Wonder Woman is such a "pathetic character with such a pathetic rogues gallery that she should be happy to have any new additions from a more popular title like Justice League", right? Even if that's not what editorial is thinking, that's kind of how it comes off.

    I also wonder how Greg Rucka's ownership of the characters he created for the Wonder Woman book effects their use. My understanding was that after he concluded his first run, no one else could write for characters like Ferdinand or Veronica Cale because he had originated them and it was part of his contract that he would be the only one to write for them, or there would be some kind of licensing fee or something. At least that's the impression I got online from reading people's comments...it would certainly be an exceptional situation for him to have that kind of a deal with DC Comics. If he does though good for him! So many creators make things and then the publisher is able to generate profits from it for decades and all the creator gets a one time fee.

    I'm pretty checked out of the current book, so I'm really not up to speed on when this 5G thing takes effect. Are you guys saying that sometime this summer DC's 5G event is going to reboot Wonder Woman yet again?

  11. #56
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    What would you say are the problematic aspects of his character? I know Rucka, back during his original run, emphasized that Psycho was kind of like a rapist. Is that what you're getting at?
    I think the fact that he's one of the only little people in comics and is completely deranged and incel-ish because of his rejection by women borders on offensive to some people. But make no mistake, I love the villain and think he's one of the scariest in DC Comics. But I wouldn't be too torn up if they decided to make him "average" height to avoid being the only little person in comics.

    I also wonder how Greg Rucka's ownership of the characters he created for the Wonder Woman book effects their use. My understanding was that after he concluded his first run, no one else could write for characters like Ferdinand or Veronica Cale because he had originated them and it was part of his contract that he would be the only one to write for them, or there would be some kind of licensing fee or something. At least that's the impression I got online from reading people's comments...it would certainly be an exceptional situation for him to have that kind of a deal with DC Comics. If he does though good for him! So many creators make things and then the publisher is able to generate profits from it for decades and all the creator gets a one time fee.
    From what I remember, back when Gail Simone had her own section on these forums... I think it was:

    Gail could use Ferdinand all she likes, but she could NOT touch Veronica Cale, as Rucka had plans for her and didn't want them to be ruined.

    However, after Greg came back for Rebirth, it seems like DC has sort of shut down his exclusivity on Cale's character, thus why Robinson and Wilson were able to use her.

    I'm pretty checked out of the current book, so I'm really not up to speed on when this 5G thing takes effect. Are you guys saying that sometime this summer DC's 5G event is going to reboot Wonder Woman yet again?
    I've just sort of given up on trying to make sense of any continuity at DC.

  12. #57
    Amazing Member SonOfDiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I’ve been away from several years and the movie has stirred my interest. Is Wonder Woman still the daughter of Zeus and if so, is that still brought up or swept under the rug?

  13. #58
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244

    Default

    From what I remember, back when Gail Simone had her own section on these forums... I think it was:

    Gail could use Ferdinand all she likes, but she could NOT touch Veronica Cale, as Rucka had plans for her and didn't want them to be ruined.

    However, after Greg came back for Rebirth, it seems like DC has sort of shut down his exclusivity on Cale's character, thus why Robinson and Wilson were able to use her.
    Checking DCUguides character chronologies, around this time Cale was being used by Keith Giffen in 52 Aftermath:Four Horsemen and in Doom Patrol volume 5.
    http://dcuguide.com/w/Veronica_Cale_Chronology

    Now why they decided to let Keith claim exclusive use of Cale for Doom Patrol over Gail for Wonder Woman is another question.
    IIRC, Gail also had said they wouldn't let her continue on from what Rucka did with the gods in his run, either.

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDiana View Post
    I’ve been away from several years and the movie has stirred my interest. Is Wonder Woman still the daughter of Zeus and if so, is that still brought up or swept under the rug?
    Still Zeus’s kid in Rebirth continuity but they’ve mostly simply ignored it.

  15. #60
    Incredible Member NYCER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I have no experience with the new writer so I can't really comment on that aspect of the new team but I'm really sad that Steve Orlando's run is ending so soon. It seemed like he was just getting warmed up after cleaning up the threads left by Wilson. I a, however, excited to see Janin taking over as artist. I just hope he's on the book for more than a few issue. This book desperately needs a regular A-list artist.
    Same here. I really enjoy Steve Orlando's writing.

    The good takeaway here is I absolutely love Mikel Janin's work, so I can't wait to see his take on Diana.
    Last edited by NYCER; 03-10-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •