Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

lol It reminds me of Cary Nord's art.

Ares 23.jpg

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Well, as I always do, I will check out the first couple issues at least. I really, really want to like the Wonder Woman comic, but no one has managed to make me care for her on the page, despite some interesting runs by Perez, Rucka, & Azzarello. It's strange, because Wonder Woman 1984 is the superhero movie I am most looking forward to.

I adore Greek mythology, I love superheroes, and I am always down for a great kickass female protagonist, yet, without a flesh and blood actor to fill in her humanity, Wonder Woman continues to be a blank slate to me.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You think they’d put a new team on right before they replace Diana as WW? You may be right, DC is dumb enough to do that, but I hope you’re wrong. That’s basically what happened right before New 52 though, Diana got a quasi reboot. Ending her time with a movie tie in arc is the most maddening move DC could make imo.
    Well, they did the same thing with Tynion on Batman so yeah, I believe DC would do that. I don't think they are dumb for doing that though, it's smart to get some excitement/sales on the book even with a relaunch coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    lol It reminds me of Cary Nord's art.

.....have you had your eyes checked lately? Totally unrelated question......

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, this thread hasn't given me any hope...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well, this thread hasn't given me any hope...
    Sometimes, fandom isn't good for that…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Well, they did the same thing with Tynion on Batman so yeah, I believe DC would do that. I don't think they are dumb for doing that though, it's smart to get some excitement/sales on the book even with a relaunch coming.
    I’m not sure how much excitement getting a new team will generate when Diana has been playing musical chairs with her creative teams since Rucka left. Right now all I saw were complaints about Orlando getting replaced and worries about Diana still getting replaced. Besides unless it’s accompanied with a relaunch, I don’t think this new team will generate a lot of new sales. If the reviews are good that could help, but Tamaki’s last ongoing was her She-Hulk and X-23 and neither were beloved.

I used to be very protective of Wonder Woman and believed that my particular vision of the character was the "right" and "only" vision and any creator who deviated from it was getting it "wrong" and any reader who disagreed with it "didn't understand what Wonder Woman was about."

There are still Wonder Woman runs that I think are at cross purposes with her creator's intentions (Azzarello's being the most recent and obvious to me). But you know what else I realized?

So what?

Wonder Woman is not mine. The character doesn't belong to me. Yes, a particular version of her brings me joy, but that doesn't mean other interpretations of her are invalid just because I don't like them.

Wonder Woman is a symbol, an apparently malleable one, that is shaped by the corporate and capitalist interests of the institution that owns her. That entity now believes that Mariko Tamaki and Mikel Janin are the creators that should shepherd the character at least part way through her current popularity, synergizing her filimic and literary versions to appeal not necessarily to a 40-something queer Black dude like me, but perhaps to 10- or 11-year-old kids, who will now have a Wonder Woman that they can relate to and, one day in the future, remember fondly as a touchstone from their formative years.

Everything is not tailored for *me*. Once I came to that conclusion, I felt less the tug of being the curmudgeon waiting to step on someone else's joy.

And I still have my own "ideal" Wonder Woman in various ways, in my own collections of books and toys; in my heart and mind.

I'm wishing Tamaki and Janin all the luck in the world.

Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 03-11-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Wondering if Tamaki's run is also going to coincide with a 5G replacement in the role?
    The early 5G rumors indicated that Diana would be the first to be replaced...and then we never really heard much more.

Honestly I'm sad to see Orlando go so quickly, I liked what he was doing.
    Secondly, the constant change in creative teams isn't helping. Usually the best runs are when a writer is allowed to stay on the title to build some long term story arcs.
    Very little can be done in just 6 issues rather then tell an inconsequential tale that leaves everything status quo. And cutting a run off early (GWW) leaves a mess, such as Diana/Steve broken up when they were intended to get back together. (BOO!)

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Everything is not tailored for *me*. Once I came to that conclusion, I felt less the tug of being the curmudgeon waiting to step on someone else's joy.

And I still have my own "ideal" Wonder Woman in various ways, in my own collections of books and toys; in my heart and mind.

Hear, hear!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I used to be very protective of Wonder Woman and believed that my particular vision of the character was the "right" and "only" vision and any creator who deviated from it was getting it "wrong" and any reader who disagreed with it "didn't understand what Wonder Woman was about."

There are still Wonder Woman runs that I think are at cross purposes with her creator's intentions (Azzarello's being the most recent and obvious to me). But you know what else I realized?

So what?

Wonder Woman is not mine. The character doesn't belong to me. Yes, a particular version of her brings me joy, but that doesn't mean other interpretations of her are invalid just because I don't like them.

Wonder Woman is a symbol, an apparently malleable one, that is shaped by the corporate and capitalist interests of the institution that owns her. That entity now believes that Mariko Tamaki and Mikel Janin are the creators that should shepherd the character at least part way through her current popularity, synergizing her filimic and literary versions to appeal not necessarily to a 40-something queer Black dude like me, but perhaps to 10- or 11-year-old kids, who will now have a Wonder Woman that they can relate to and, one day in the future, remember fondly as a touchstone from their formative years.

I agree with your sentiments mostly, but: Are 10 and 11 years olds even reading the WW comic? Doubt it. Also doubt these creative teams who shuffle in and out with a swiftness have time to make formative touchstones for the folks who are reading it. Note this thread being full of readers lamenting what they see as a lost opportunity with Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I agree with your sentiments mostly, but: Are 10 and 11 years olds even reading the WW comic? Doubt it. Also doubt these creative teams who shuffle in and out with a swiftness have time to make formative touchstones for the folks who are reading it. Note this thread being full of readers lamenting what they see as a lost opportunity with Orlando.
    Exactly, I don't begrudge Mariko Tamaki for getting her shot, it's the timing that upsets me. Orlando was giving me everything I wanted and they threw it all out the window for yet another new writer just when the dust from GWW was settling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

.....have you had your eyes checked lately? Totally unrelated question......

My eyes are fine, but Cary Nord is what that David Marquez cover reminds me of. People are different, I liked Jenny Frison's covers from the very beginning back when people were still saying how stiff they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don't have any information about which demographics are buying comics at hand. But I imagine that since DC's chapter books are doing phenomenally with the 8-14 age bracket, especially their YA Wonder Woman stuff, it is only baseline business sense that they try to tap into that captive audience for the comic book.

From a publisher's standpoint, our demographic is dwindling and the youth market is expanding. They are forward-looking and the feelings of an expanding and future market apparently appeals to them more than that of a past and shrinking one (for whom the Black Label imprint, with adjusted expectations, is designed).

I don't think Tamaki should be denied a spot because a few older fans (including myself) want to reminisce.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 03-12-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    My eyes are fine, but Cary Nord is what that David Marquez cover reminds me of. People are different, I liked Jenny Frison's covers from the very beginning back when people were still saying how stiff they were.
    Oh no worries! I'm just teasing. You don't gotta justify anything.

If I'm being honest, that cover *is* one of Marquez's less impressive pieces of work.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.