Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I don't have any information about which demographics are buying comics at hand. But I imagine that since DC's chapter books are doing phenomenally with that age bracket, especially their YA Wonder Woman stuff, it is only natural that they try to tap into that market for the comic book.

From a publisher's standpoint, our demographic is dwindling and the youth market is expanding. They are forward-looking and the feelings of an expanding and future market apparently appeals to them more than that of a past and shrinking one.
    I think I saw a semi-recent study on this somewhere, and the direct market is still mostly just older fans who were already reading comics in the early 90's, if not before. Still a dying distribution and dead end. The other models that tap into bookstore OGN's and stuff are most definitely healthier, better formats and I hope DC runs towards them as fast as possible.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think I saw a semi-recent study on this somewhere, and the direct market is still mostly just older fans who were already reading comics in the early 90's, if not before. Still a dying distribution and dead end. The other models that tap into bookstore OGN's and stuff are most definitely healthier, better formats and I hope DC runs towards them as fast as possible.
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...econd-printing

Diana: Princess of the Amazons was featured as a Yahoo! “It List” Pick and was also selected by IndieBound’s prestigious Kids Next List for winter 2020. The story continues to be an Amazon bestseller and Diamond Comics Distributors named it one of the top 10 bestselling graphic novels in January alongside two other DC Books for Young Readers titles—Minh Lê and Andie Tong’s Green Lantern: Legacy and the graphic novel adaptation of Leigh Bardugo’s smash hit Wonder Woman: Warbringer. With the second printing, there will be over 200,000 copies of Diana: Princess of the Amazons in circulation.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Hey look at that, even the direct market did okay with this! Good for you, Diamond!

And good for Diana! I'm telling you, stuff like that, and Superman Smashes the Klan.....that's the future right there. I want my ongoing serialized narrative, I'm an old school fan and I want to see these characters continue growing and evolving. But these YA and kids books, and the more mature ones out of Black Label like Harleen.....this is good for all of us.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I used to be very protective of Wonder Woman and believed that my particular vision of the character was the "right" and "only" vision and any creator who deviated from it was getting it "wrong" and any reader who disagreed with it "didn't understand what Wonder Woman was about."

There are still Wonder Woman runs that I think are at cross purposes with her creator's intentions (Azzarello's being the most recent and obvious to me). But you know what else I realized?

So what?

Wonder Woman is not mine. The character doesn't belong to me. Yes, a particular version of her brings me joy, but that doesn't mean other interpretations of her are invalid just because I don't like them.

Wonder Woman is a symbol, an apparently malleable one, that is shaped by the corporate and capitalist interests of the institution that owns her. That entity now believes that Mariko Tamaki and Mikel Janin are the creators that should shepherd the character at least part way through her current popularity, synergizing her filimic and literary versions to appeal not necessarily to a 40-something queer Black dude like me, but perhaps to 10- or 11-year-old kids, who will now have a Wonder Woman that they can relate to and, one day in the future, remember fondly as a touchstone from their formative years.

Everything is not tailored for *me*. Once I came to that conclusion, I felt less the tug of being the curmudgeon waiting to step on someone else's joy.

And I still have my own "ideal" Wonder Woman in various ways, in my own collections of books and toys; in my heart and mind.

I'm wishing Tamaki and Janin all the luck in the world.

I'm not sure you're understanding the sentiments of most of us who are disappointed with the change in writer. You seem to to be talking as if it's Transformers G1-Beast Wars, "Truk not Munky" or for a more recent originating example, the divisions in the Star Wars fanbase.

I wouldn't say it's about having a "specific version of Wonder Woman we consider ours". From apparent looks at this time Tamaki would seem to be using the baseline rebirth status quo. So It's not a matter of her coming in with radical setting and universe changes.

I have nothing against Tamaki or her writing, if for example she'd been announced to be taking over in fall or winter of this year, around the time of the 5g relaunch, I doubt I'd have any problem. I would believe most of us are well acquainted with the nature of the shared superhero universe, and writer changeover. So it's not about her being given a chance altogether. I intend to give her story a shot at least.

But the new team is coming on the month right after Orlando's current story arc will conclude. As addressed he's set up numerous plot threads(The Dark Fates, Exoristo's final fate, Diana trying to reconnect with friends she's lost contact with like Donna and Cassie), that it's looks highly questionable how many will be followed up on.

So at this point it's disappointment on the current plot threads quite possibly cut short and abandoned, which I would say is a fully legitimate complaint.

I don't have any information about which demographics are buying comics at hand. But I imagine that since DC's chapter books are doing phenomenally with the 8-14 age bracket, especially their YA Wonder Woman stuff, it is only baseline business sense that they try to tap into that captive audience for the comic book.

From a publisher's standpoint, our demographic is dwindling and the youth market is expanding. They are forward-looking and the feelings of an expanding and future market apparently appeals to them more than that of a past and shrinking one (for whom the Black Label imprint, with adjusted expectations, is designed).

I don't think Tamaki should be denied a spot because a few older fans (including myself) want to reminisce.
    Once again, this isn't about denying Tamaki a chance altogether. It's a matter of timing and wanting proper resolution to the current plot threads.

I really don't see how taking a shot at people who like continuity is of help. Yes I liked Orlando because of how he's been able to draw on various elements of her past continuity. I don't find that a bad thing, nor would I say it makes his run inaccessible. You talk as if Tamaki's run is automatically going to be more continuity light and more "accessible", but the anouncement refers to Maxwell Lord as a long lost foe(though I'm pretty sure he was in the Rebirth Justice League not that long ago). For all we know she could be planning to heavily reference Omac Project and Generation Lost.

Now if Orlando was still being given a venue to continue and resolve the plot threads he set up in some form, either with a standard DC Universe or in-continuity Black Label series, I'd be fine with that (though I have to question why it would need to be Black Label). But as things stand he is not.

Assuming your preliminary expectation of Tamaki's run as being young reader friendly is accurate, there's no reason Orlando couldn't be given a resurrected Sensation Comics to continue his more continuity exploring approach, for example.

Yeah Orlando getting Sensation Comics would be awesome, but DC is probably still gunshy about the idea after their last attempt. Personally I think the last attempt failed because it was all disconnected from any ongoing storytelling, it was mainly one and domes iirc.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

WONDER WOMAN #759
    written by MARIKO TAMAKI
    art by MIKEL JANÍN
    cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    card stock variant cover by JIM LEE
    Wonder Woman 1984 movie poster variant cover
    It’s a brand-new day for Wonder Woman! As Diana starts to pick up the pieces of her life following her battle with the Four Horsewomen and her run-in with the Phantom Stranger, Man’s World has become more complicated to navigate than ever before. It seems everyone has a take on who Wonder Woman should
    be—some who look on her heroics with admiration, and some who lie in wait to seek revenge. A familiar threat is watching Diana’s every move, and now is the perfect time to strike…
    ON SALE 06.10.20

WONDER WOMAN #760
    written by MARIKO TAMAKI
    art by MIKEL JANÍN
    cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    card stock variant cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON
    Wonder Woman 1984 variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
    Wonder Woman’s quest to bring justice to Man’s World has seen her take on many devastating opponents—but none so vicious as Maxwell Lord! Max represents the worst that humanity has to offer...so when he shows up at Diana’s doorstep seeking help, what’s a warrior for the truth to do?
    ON SALE 06.24.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Source: https://www.newsarama.com/49409-dc-c...citations.html

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    WONDER WOMAN #759
    written by MARIKO TAMAKI
    art by MIKEL JANÍN
    cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    card stock variant cover by JIM LEE
    Wonder Woman 1984 movie poster variant cover
    It’s a brand-new day for Wonder Woman! As Diana starts to pick up the pieces of her life following her battle with the Four Horsewomen and her run-in with the Phantom Stranger, Man’s World has become more complicated to navigate than ever before. It seems everyone has a take on who Wonder Woman should
    be—some who look on her heroics with admiration, and some who lie in wait to seek revenge. A familiar threat is watching Diana’s every move, and now is the perfect time to strike…
    ON SALE 06.10.20

WONDER WOMAN #760
    written by MARIKO TAMAKI
    art by MIKEL JANÍN
    cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    card stock variant cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON
    Wonder Woman 1984 variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
    Wonder Woman’s quest to bring justice to Man’s World has seen her take on many devastating opponents—but none so vicious as Maxwell Lord! Max represents the worst that humanity has to offer...so when he shows up at Diana’s doorstep seeking help, what’s a warrior for the truth to do?
    ON SALE 06.24.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Source: https://www.newsarama.com/49409-dc-c...citations.html
    Movie synergy a go-go .

I was not a fan of her Supergirl: Being Super or her She-Hulk run. Which is a shame as I am ready to start reading Wonder Woman again but I don't think this is a creative choice that will make me.
    Last edited by KC; 03-13-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I love Janin's art. His Diana is exquisite. Her hair is a little limp and I'm not sure about the new white designs on her skirt but other than that, his depiction of Diana is spot on.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Pretty nice .

With Janin it all depends on who is coloring him. If Bellaire is coloring him the art will be great. Otherwise his art looks stiff, awkward, and blatantly traced.

That skirt is hideous and so are the grandma in Miami wedges. No shade to Blanche Devereaux who was a grandma in Miami because she wore much cuter shoes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That skirt is hideous and so are the grandma in Miami wedges. No shade to Blanche Devereaux who was a grandma in Miami because she wore much cuter shoes.
    Its the same wedges in the movies do u like those? I like flats better. I dont like the white lines in the skirt really strange looking. I notice her boot stripes switch from gold or white in comics, im used to white.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    With Janin it all depends on who is coloring him. If Bellaire is coloring him the art will be great. Otherwise his art looks stiff, awkward, and blatantly traced.
    Jordie Bellaire will be coloring his WW issues: https://twitter.com/mikeljanin/statu...82814069313537