Ultimate Member

Default The Outsider on HBO

So now that it's over, what does everyone think?

Personally, I loved it. I always hate how in horror series, they so easily slip into 'it's a monster!'. I was expressed with the pacing and the acting.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So now that it's over, what does everyone think?

Personally, I loved it. I always hate how in horror series, they so easily slip into 'it's a monster!'. I was expressed with the pacing and the acting.

Anyone else?
    Liked it a lot. Great acting. Typical King underwhelming ending. But well done otherwise.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

I disliked it. I read the book which was a novella masquerading as a 500 page book. I was nearly halfway through before the story moved beyond the synopsis on the back cover. It was hundreds of pages of irrelevant rambling. The series was more of the same. A 2-3 episode story dragged out to 10 episodes. If it continues, I’ll not likely watch it. Staring at the wall would be more engaging.

I haven't seen it but I've read the three Mr Mercedes books and The Outsider so I'm curious how the show handled Holly Gibney's character. In the books she is autistic with some very OCD type of rituals - for instance she keeps a detailed log of everything she ever watches on TV and she is very good at rattling off info from it. She also has struggles socially interacting. So I'm wondering if they kept her autistic on this show or not or just mentioned but didn't really show it. Same question for the Mr Mercedes TV series if anyone has seen it? The two TV shows have no connection beyond the books as they cast different actresses of different races as Holly (she is white in the books) but whats important is her autism so I'm hoping they didn't minimize that.

Yes, Holly is definitely on the autistic spectrum in the show. I don't think they threw OCD on top of it. (she does show off her knowledge of movie trivia without having watched the films at one point, so that might've been a reference to the book)

I thought it was a pretty good show. Not great, but there was a lot of good stuff in there. It was like a supernatural "True Detective" with some really good actors involved. Ben Mendelsohn is friggin' awesome in the way that he is. Jason Bateman gets to act and direct. Things kinda level out a bit once the plot stuff takes over a bit and there's a lot of explaining to do in the second act. But overall, it was a good show. (is there more? I have no idea about the source material)

Thought the show was really good but not becuase the story or direction. Based off that it was ok I guess. Mendelson and Bateman elevate the material for me soo much. Never read the books