Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default Is Fantastic Four next in line for an omnibus volume 4

    Now that volumes 4 are a thing and that by the end of the year both Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny X-Men will have had their volume 4's, do you think Fantastic Four would be due up next? Would end the Stan Lee run among other things. I really hope this happens.

    Also while they're at it I think a reprint of volume 2 and 3 would probably please many. Seeing this awesome reprint year for the X-Men makes me think maybe Marvel is learning that keeping great issues in print is a must!)

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,403

    Default

    I have no idea.

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I have no idea either. I guess I was just hoping to start a conversation. I never thought Uncanny X-Men omnibus 4 would get released this year. There's no X-Men movie content to tie it to, and frankly after years of asking for it and them never delivering I thought it had to do with poor sales. Is it true that Spiderman omni 4 is one of their best selling? I saw that in the marvel collected thread but since there are so many pages I couldn't find the source of where the numbers were from. I wonder if omni sales are on the rise on the whole perhaps?

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Eventually, yes but the when is anyone's guess.
    My guess would be once the FF gets its next big screen launch under the MCU film banner, we will get a vol.4 and perhaps a few reprints of prior volumes.
    That film debut could be 2023 or later though since they've announced the next few years of films and FF isn't one as yet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  5. #5
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Eventually, yes but the when is anyone's guess.
    My guess would be once the FF gets its next big screen launch under the MCU film banner, we will get a vol.4 and perhaps a few reprints of prior volumes.
    That film debut could be 2023 or later though since they've announced the next few years of films and FF isn't one as yet.
    That’s exactly what I was expecting for uncanny vol 4, and yet we’re getting it now of all times. Uncanny 4 along with all the reprints for the series (other than silver age pair and Mutant Massacre), all this on a year that has no new X-Men movie releases. So I don’t know what this means for the future.

  6. #6
    Condescending Member manymade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    That’s exactly what I was expecting for uncanny vol 4, and yet we’re getting it now of all times. Uncanny 4 along with all the reprints for the series (other than silver age pair and Mutant Massacre), all this on a year that has no new X-Men movie releases. So I don’t know what this means for the future.
    Well there's New Mutants. And I wouldn't be surprised if we were getting early as a way of re-sparking interest in the brand. Never hurts to get an early start.

    If the omnibuses haven't finished off the Lee-Kirby run, then I definitely think we'll be getting it at some point. A good sign would be if we got reprints. Isn't vol 2 still OOP?

  7. #7
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Well there's New Mutants. And I wouldn't be surprised if we were getting early as a way of re-sparking interest in the brand. Never hurts to get an early start.

    If the omnibuses haven't finished off the Lee-Kirby run, then I definitely think we'll be getting it at some point. A good sign would be if we got reprints. Isn't vol 2 still OOP?
    Good point. New Mutants is also getting an omni as a bonus. By the time the next X-Men film comes around most of the omnis will probably be back out of stock I'd guess lol.

    Last I checked only volume 1 of the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four omni is still widely available. The other two haven't been reprinted in years (not even sure the third one ever got a reprint actually). So it's all long overdue imo.

  8. #8
    Incredible Member Rimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    Good point. New Mutants is also getting an omni as a bonus. By the time the next X-Men film comes around most of the omnis will probably be back out of stock I'd guess lol.

    Last I checked only volume 1 of the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four omni is still widely available. The other two haven't been reprinted in years (not even sure the third one ever got a reprint actually). So it's all long overdue imo.
    keep in mind the X-line kinda does its own thing, and isn't always linked to movies, unlike other/all other lines. Because the X-line sells like gangbusters anyways.
    I still say, hey, you can go ahead and release Cap 3, IM 3, FF 4, etc... NOW and folks will buy them up. But seems like they are holding those back for movies.
    So While Thor has a movie on the horizon so probably Thor 4 is on the way, with no more IM or Cap movies, who knows if we'll see any more of them.

    Dr Strange vol 2 will come when movie drops, FF 4 and most likely reprints of Hickman and other stuff will hit when FF movie hit. New Mutants has a movie on the horizon, finally to be released soon, so that could be why a NM omni is being released. But then again, Excalibur is just a random release, so you never know.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

  9. #9
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    keep in mind the X-line kinda does its own thing, and isn't always linked to movies, unlike other/all other lines. Because the X-line sells like gangbusters anyways.
    I still say, hey, you can go ahead and release Cap 3, IM 3, FF 4, etc... NOW and folks will buy them up. But seems like they are holding those back for movies.
    So While Thor has a movie on the horizon so probably Thor 4 is on the way, with no more IM or Cap movies, who knows if we'll see any more of them.

    Dr Strange vol 2 will come when movie drops, FF 4 and most likely reprints of Hickman and other stuff will hit when FF movie hit. New Mutants has a movie on the horizon, finally to be released soon, so that could be why a NM omni is being released. But then again, Excalibur is just a random release, so you never know.
    Aren't the best selling omnis the Amazing Spider Man ones though? I believe X-Men reprints will sell like crazy though. I agree that I don't see Marvel reprinting Iron Man or Captain America books for a while too.

    Looking at the Fantastic Four's available it looks like one can easily find Fantastic Four by Byrne vol 1 from discount retailers, and with a bit of research one can still find the Byrne vol 2 at full retail price.

    The Lee/Kirby books the vol 1 was reprinted and still widely available, while vol 2 and 3 are both completely unobtainable other than at 2-3x times full retail price (and that's often used). I wonder why Marvel does that leaving vol 1's in place with no reprint for the others in sight (they do this with Amazing Spider Man as well). If more people could buy the other two there would probably be more interest in a volume 4 I'd guess.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 03-13-2020 at 06:46 AM.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Rimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    Aren't the best selling omnis the Amazing Spider Man ones though? I believe X-Men reprints will sell like crazy though. I agree that I don't see Marvel reprinting Iron Man or Captain America books for a while too.

    Looking at the Fantastic Four's available it looks like one can easily find Fantastic Four by Byrne vol 1 from discount retailers, and with a bit of research one can still find the Byrne vol 2 at full retail price.

    The Lee/Kirby books the vol 1 was reprinted and still widely available, while vol 2 and 3 are both completely unobtainable other than at 2-3x times full retail price (and that's often used). I wonder why Marvel does that leaving vol 1's in place with no reprint for the others in sight (they do this with Amazing Spider Man as well). If more people could buy the other two there would probably be more interest in a volume 4 I'd guess.
    I don't know the numbers, but you're right, X-family or Spider-Man are 1 + 2, just not sure the order.

    FF vol 2 was reprinted a few years back. Marvel is really good at reprinting some books but orphaning others. My take is like they're doing now with the Uncanny omnibuses and reprints, they'll probably do the same thing in a few years when the MCU FF movie is coming out. Put out FF vol 4, and reprint possibly the first 3, and most likely reprint Hickman's omnibuses, too. Who knows, that's a lot of books, but you never know.

    I think they like to keep vol 1's in print because that's the logical 'first step' for new readers/collectors. Many of them may not ever move on to vol 2 or 3, etc... so they just focus on vol 1. And then throw the collectors a bone every few years and reprint the latter volumes. Spidey vol 2 has been reprinted in the past, but never vol 3. So I think they'll do that whole dance again once the next Spidey movie comes out - reprint vols 2 and 3, maybe even 4, and push out vol 5 (assuming this is a few years out).
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I don't know the numbers, but you're right, X-family or Spider-Man are 1 + 2, just not sure the order.

    FF vol 2 was reprinted a few years back. Marvel is really good at reprinting some books but orphaning others. My take is like they're doing now with the Uncanny omnibuses and reprints, they'll probably do the same thing in a few years when the MCU FF movie is coming out. Put out FF vol 4, and reprint possibly the first 3, and most likely reprint Hickman's omnibuses, too. Who knows, that's a lot of books, but you never know.

    I think they like to keep vol 1's in print because that's the logical 'first step' for new readers/collectors. Many of them may not ever move on to vol 2 or 3, etc... so they just focus on vol 1. And then throw the collectors a bone every few years and reprint the latter volumes. Spidey vol 2 has been reprinted in the past, but never vol 3. So I think they'll do that whole dance again once the next Spidey movie comes out - reprint vols 2 and 3, maybe even 4, and push out vol 5 (assuming this is a few years out).
    If I'm not mistaken the next Spidey film comes out during the summer of next year. So I guess if the X-Men reprint is a show of good faith from Marvel at bringing back the entire series, then next year would be a great time for them to reprint the out of print Spiderman omnis. I think vol 2+3 and also the Roger Stern omni. Perhaps there are others out of stock as well.

    Regarding the Hickman Fantastic Four. Maybe I'm wrong but I had read somewhere some collectors pointing out that the modern era content omnis usually doesn't get reprints, and that Marvel tends to only reprint the more classic content (perhaps better sales from them?).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •