Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

If we talk open world in a new Batman game, I think it's important that the city feels truly alive. Arkham City had a great narrative excuse to have a segment of Gotham ruled by criminals and it worked greatly for me. But in Origins and Knight, though they had an excuse too, I think I just let it pass to enjoy the game, but with a bigger space in the open world, it wasn't as entertained to go through as it was in City. If a new Batman game decides to go the open world route, I would really appreciate that Gotham has citizens living in it and walking, driving, etcetera. It would be nice to see different neighborhoods, the narrows, the upper class suburbs, and so on. Of course, the Batmobile would be restricted to freely go through the city without concern on who you crash, but I think combined with a Batwing that the player can fly it would work fine. Still, I don't think every Batman game to come has to be an open world. Asylum was just fine with a smaller map, though of course roaming around wasn't as fun as gliding through the Arkham City

What I missed greatly in Knight were the boss fights. I don't think Asylum had great boss fights, with some exceptions, but they were at least entertaining and it was cool to face some classic Batman rogues. City and Origins had a great balance of boss fights and challenge that was lost in the last Batman game
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I started the first Batman Telltale game last night, played through the first episode then had to go back and replay it after I had second thoughts on some of my choices - and I really really loved it. I'm really glad that there's a second one I can go to when I finish the first one. I know Telltale went out of business and are now back up under new management. I really hope they do more Batman games, and would support other DC hero games too. The strong role play element is really appealing, and I found the writing and characterization to be excellent. I am so invested in all the supporting characters and want to save them all from themselves.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    If we talk open world in a new Batman game, I think it's important that the city feels truly alive. Arkham City had a great narrative excuse to have a segment of Gotham ruled by criminals and it worked greatly for me. But in Origins and Knight, though they had an excuse too, I think I just let it pass to enjoy the game, but with a bigger space in the open world, it wasn't as entertained to go through as it was in City. If a new Batman game decides to go the open world route, I would really appreciate that Gotham has citizens living in it and walking, driving, etcetera. It would be nice to see different neighborhoods, the narrows, the upper class suburbs, and so on. Of course, the Batmobile would be restricted to freely go through the city without concern on who you crash, but I think combined with a Batwing that the player can fly it would work fine. Still, I don't think every Batman game to come has to be an open world. Asylum was just fine with a smaller map, though of course roaming around wasn't as fun as gliding through the Arkham City

What I missed greatly in Knight were the boss fights. I don't think Asylum had great boss fights, with some exceptions, but they were at least entertaining and it was cool to face some classic Batman rogues. City and Origins had a great balance of boss fights and challenge that was lost in the last Batman game
    I’m personally less concerned with making the city feel alive, but if the issue is that adding in those assets takes up space they want to use elsewhere, they could always organize gameplay a bit differently. Like, if they let you choose your cases in the Batcave, they can than load up a city map designed for that specific case vs free-roam - have more strictly background NPCs where they’re needed when it’s time to focus on a Mad Hatter hostage situation, then in free roam have more interactive NPCs that can be randomly mugged, inspired or frightened by Batman.

...Here’s a crazy idea dealing with a “living city” and radically different neighborhoods - let’s say they made a Batman game where part of the free roam was trying to clean crime out of the different sections. But, if all you do is take down the local street thugs and dealers, the crime simply moves to a new part of the map, and the zone stays crime ridden. So, you’d have to simultaneously target the bosses and be patient with some crime to catch the bigger fish, and then maybe play a short mini game as Bruce Wayne trying to rejuvenate parts of the city... and of they wanted to get really nefarious as designers, give you the option for gentrification, but with a penalty of incredibly increased crime and crowded streets in the Narrows and such,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post

I honesty just don't get the big deal about the lack of civilians. Sure, it would be nice for Gotham to look really lived in and feel alive...but Batman is not known for his interactions with civilians like, say, Superman, The Flash, or Spider-Man are. So I honestly don't see the point.

I mean, yeah, it strains credulity that the games have to come up with excuses as to why there's hardly ever any non-criminals in Gotham, but Batman usually tends to operate at hours where people are less likely to be out and all they'd be around for is more programming for the developers or to get scared off by Batman.

Agreed about the bosses though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honesty just don't get the big deal about the lack of civilians. Sure, it would be nice for Gotham to look really lived in and feel alive...but Batman is not known for his interactions with civilians like, say, Superman, The Flash, or Spider-Man are. So I honestly don't see the point.

I mean, yeah, it strains credulity that the games have to come up with excuses as to why there's hardly ever any non-criminals in Gotham, but Batman usually tends to operate at hours where people are less likely to be out and all they'd be around for is more programming for the developers or to get scared off by Batman.

Agreed about the bosses though.
    Arkham City had a handful of innocent non-combatants, as did Origins during the Firefly level.

While their presence does flesh out the feel of those games a bit, the main gameplay mechanic of citizens is to be rescued from villains and thugs - otherwise they’re effectively background textures.

I’d rather have them try and make the city feel alive through smaller gatherings of non-combatants and a better use of the Bruce Wane identity - like having him go undercover as Matches Malone in a crowded bar or the Iceberg Lounge or something.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If we're including civilians, can we run them over? Do we get a penalty for running them over? Or maybe an achievement?

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I wish that WB would just show its new Arkham game

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    I really hope they believe they’ll get goodwill and sufficient publicity by announcing it even without E3; I mean, bigger companies are releasing full movies onto streaming early. Surely they don’t need an audience to live stream an announce trailer?

By the way, here’s someone else’s upload of the other symbols that might be tied to factions for the new game:
    https://imgur.com/QAWiEOL
    It’s got three “new” symbols...

...But I think the middle two might actually just be transitions between what looks an awful lot like a Court of Owls symbol (that’s also referencing Assassin’s Creed for fun) and the Demon one.

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I really hope they believe they’ll get goodwill and sufficient publicity by announcing it even without E3; I mean, bigger companies are releasing full movies onto streaming early. Surely they don’t need an audience to live stream an announce trailer?

By the way, here’s someone else’s upload of the other symbols that might be tied to factions for the new game:
    https://imgur.com/QAWiEOL
    It’s got three “new” symbols...

...But I think the middle two might actually just be transitions between what looks an awful lot like a Court of Owls symbol (that’s also referencing Assassin’s Creed for fun) and the Demon one.
    Yeah, they should take the first opportunity to reveal it and the Harry Potter game to start building some serious momentum and get people talking (or talking about more then the fact that these games are practically open secrets at this point).

Extraordinary Member

Bumping this thread up since there’s reportedly a good chance for a reveal today during the PS5 event.

Welp... so much for that.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Bumping this thread up since there’s reportedly a good chance for a reveal today during the PS5 event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Welp... so much for that.
    There's a digital DC Convention coming August 22nd with some confirmed game announcements.

That is probably the most definitive point for them to either announce or talk about the game.

Extraordinary Member

So, they’re confirmed info on the new game is dropping tomorrow, right?

So, they’re confirmed info on the new game is dropping tomorrow, right?
    Almost 99% confirmation with all the teasing and build-up to FanDome .

The panel should be at 10:25 PST.

New game looks really nice. Just not happy about who you play as....