Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Bat-wife

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not sure what this means?

They have an attraction, but it's never been more than superficial for me. Bruce likes the bad girls he can try to reform, Talia I think loves the idea of him and the potential freedom he represents from her father, but they don't have much in common. And I think his blind spot means he lets her off the hook more than he should, whereas someone like Gail Simone's Black Canary has a much less favorable view of her after she attempted to emotionally manipulate Black Alice in a pretty cruel way.

But I'm pretty biased, I've never cared for the Al Ghuls all that much period.

I mean Talia's character didn't take a 180-degree turn during Morrison's run. Bruce probably was only attracted to her and he thought he might change her as you said.

She wanted freedom from his fathers' shackles but she was bound to LoA and I don't think she was ever gonna leave her responsibility from them one way or another and that she realized more after death and maidens. She can only have her freedom if Bruce kills her father and took his place but he wasn't gonna kill Ra's.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-23-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I mean Talia's character didn't take a 180-degree turn during Morrison's run. Bruce probably was only attracted to her and he thought he might change her as you said.

She wanted freedom from his fathers' shackles but she was bound to LoA and I don't think she was ever gonna leave her responsibility from them one way or another and that she realized more after death and maidens. She can only have her freedom if Bruce kills her father and took his place but he wasn't gonna kill Ra's.
    Ah gotcha. I actually agree with this.

Talia graduating to full villain is legit the first time I've found her interesting, plus she pretty much won. At least against Bruce. It would honestly be better if Ra's was retired permanently.

All-New Member

Bruce and Zatanna

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Speaking of love interests, I wonder why writers in general don’t seem to go as far as developing the character of Julie Madison. I think she could be written as a more stable love interest than Catwoman and Talia, whom seem to be too caught up in sleazy circumstances for Batman to develop any close and meaningful relationships with.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-29-2020 at 08:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Speaking of love interests, I wonder why writers in general don’t seem to go as far as developing the character of Julie Madison. I think she could be written as a more stable love interest than Catwoman and Talia, whom seem to be to caught up in sleazy circumstances for Batman to develop any close and meaningful relationships with.

I recall Julie and Batman were engaged in Earth 2 and comics aren't really a big thing for Batman in Golden Ages.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Speaking of love interests, I wonder why writers in general don’t seem to go as far as developing the character of Julie Madison. I think she could be written as a more stable love interest than Catwoman and Talia, whom seem to be too caught up in sleazy circumstances for Batman to develop any close and meaningful relationships with.

Totally agree with this. Keep the redesign as a red head, make her the DA and work with him. You can have some interesting development in their relationship and she could be an added ally. Have her previously studied acting for story development as well as keeping her father's death as something to be a conflict at times between them. Julie also is the most stable other than Vicky valentine, but shes pretty much a twin of Lois.

Astonishing Member

Granny Goodness

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That's the thing. Writers are not looking for a stable love interest for Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think Bruce lends himself to a stable relationship with a civilian woman. I like Silver and would like her to return as a supporting character more often, but she also mainly exists to showcase why it can't work. She'd be cool as an ex he gets along with really well and knows his secret, but has decided for herself the cons outweigh the positives in a romantic relationship with Bruce. And she decided this back in pre-COIE when he wasn't occasionally a terrible person.

As for Julie, she's fine but as a college sweetheart he was at one point engaged to, Andrea can cover that and is way more interesting.

Retired

Back in the day, the real world equivalent of Princess Portia of Moldacia (born Julie Madison) was Princess Grace of Monaco (born Grace Kelly); now, I'd say it's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (born Rachel Meghan Markle). In fact, I think the Duchess would make a great Julie Madison/Princess Portia in the Batman movie I'm casting in my mind.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I can't remember if Bruce ever loved Talia. BTAS makes it look pretty one sided and Demon's Quest is written by Denny O himself.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I can't remember if Bruce ever loved Talia. BTAS makes it look pretty one-sided and Demon's Quest is written by Denny O himself.
    He did. That's why Dick was so angry and never get what Bruce sees in Talia, coz he's in love with a woman who's planned proposal was shooting and kidnapping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Totally agree with this. Keep the redesign as a red head, make her the DA and work with him. You can have some interesting development in their relationship and she could be an added ally. Have her previously studied acting for story development as well as keeping her father's death as something to be a conflict at times between them. Julie also is the most stable other than Vicky valentine, but shes pretty much a twin of Lois.
    If you change Julie's character that much to change her from an actress to a DA, what's left of the original character beyond the name? At that point, making her Rachel from the Bale movies would make more sense.
    I'm not opposed to having Julie or Rachel involved in the story - and there's a lot more potential for a DA than an actress in the comic. There would also be more potential for a reporter than an actress. I'd expect the writer to develop Vicky to be more than a Lois clone.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I can't remember if Bruce ever loved Talia. BTAS makes it look pretty one sided and Demon's Quest is written by Denny O himself.
    He did. their are lots of books were he says so. The last i recall being in the new 52.
    BTAS world isn't canon to the comics if it were then Babs would be one of Bruce loves

If you change Julie's character that much to change her from an actress to a DA, what's left of the original character beyond the name? At that point, making her Rachel from the Bale movies would make more sense.
    Yep. And if IP is a problem there, just give her a new name.