Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Phantazia Appreciation 2020

"I don't know if she's a mutant, but she sure is evil."
    - Toad

Who is Phantazia?
    Phantazia is one of the X-Men's most unique and mysterious villains.

When Toad began assembling the third Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, he sought out long-time members Pyro and Blob and the mutate Sauron. But he needed some estrogen in the group. Enter: Phantazia. Clearly the most intelligent and powerful member of the group, Phantazia's reasons for working with the Brotherhood are, like herself, shrouded in mystery. Perhaps she was searching for companionship. Perhaps she found Toad's inept greed amusing. Who knows?

Her powers make her quite unique in the world of the X-Men. Phantazia has the following mutant abilities:

• Levitation
    • Projection of "bio-blasts" that she fires from her body
    • Electromagnetic disruption - this was her bread and butter; she could short out others' mutant powers or bodily functions (causing temporary paralysis), and render technology and machinery useless
    • Cloaking herself and others from sensors (including human sight)
    • Attuned to fluxes in the electromagnetic spectrum (aka able to sense disturbances in the earth's EM field)

Phantazia Phacts
    Some little known facts about Phantazia include:

1. Phantazia was created by Rob Liefeld (ugh) and Fabian Nicieza.
    2. Phantazia has a PhD, presumably in astrophysics. This makes her one of the X-Men's most educated super-villains.
    3. Magneto thought so highly of Phantazia that he invited her to join him on his asteroid base, Avalon. She rejected his offer because really, she's too good for him.
    4. Despite this, Phantazia was part of Magneto's elite guard in the House of M storyline, and was the first person to sense an attack on the royal house. When the timeline was restored, she was one of the only people who remembered the events of House of M, though everyone thought she was crazy as they did not remember.
    5. Phantazia's natural hair color is blonde, though she's actually had THREE hair colors in her few appearances (blonde, white, and red). She presumably wears a wig when in supervillain guise, or she "powers up" which turns her hair white and allows her body to vanish inside her cloak.
    6. In Phantazia's first appearance, she helped kill Cannonball by shorting out his powers which allowed Sauron to gut him (spoilers: he came back).
    7. Phantazia is sometimes erroneously referred to as "Phantasia."
    8. Phantazia was one of the first (if not the first) Marvel female villains made into plastic; in 1995, she was included with Storm in a promotion by fast food chain Hardee's, which included a figurine, trading cards, pogs, and a 4-part exclusive comic book picking up where the Empyrean/Legacy Virus story left off.

Will 2020 be the year of Phantazia's return?

Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    "I don't know if she's a mutant, but she sure is evil."
    I remember this differently. Toad might recall her being evil, but I want to say she was a reluctant criminal. Phantazia, Tempo, Scanner, were all female villains with wavering loyalties of that era.

Am I wrong? What am I remembering?

Lots of good info on Phantazia, Nyssane. I learned some things about her. Where is she today?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I remember this differently. Toad might recall her being evil, but I want to say she was a reluctant criminal. Phantazia, Tempo, Scanner, were all female villains with wavering loyalties of that era.

Am I wrong? What am I remembering?
    She was kinda evil if you ask me.

When the tables turned on her, Masque, and Thornn, she just turned invisible and floated away leaving Masque to die. She was smart, but she didn't really seem to care too deeply about others' lives but her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Lots of good info on Phantazia, Nyssane. I learned some things about her. Where is she today?
    She got depowered after M-Day so maybe she'll be do a Crucible (though I'd rather she just get "repowered" like Blob, Strobe, the Nasty Boys, etc. where they don't even acknowledge that awful event). SHIELD thought she was crazy because she remembered House of M.

I hope she comes back and is a part of Hellions! Or becomes one of Apocs 4 Horsemen along with Fatale, Reaper and Abyss.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 03-11-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Would love for her to go through the Crucible and go straight to Scarlet Witch. " Where's that witch?!". Right as her powers are restored. I want to see some malevolent evil coming off our girl.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    I hope she comes back and is a part of Hellions! Or becomes one of Apocs 4 Horsemen along with Fatale, Reaper and Abyss.
    She would have been perfect for Hellions! Much better than Wild Child LOL.

All the new books that include villains have been sorely missing female baddies (except Queen Nanny).

Also, my fave Phantazia trading card...

Phantazia's first appearance:

Would love to see her return. she needs an updated look though.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I always thought she was a very unique character. I hope we see more of her soon.

I can't handle how cute these "Mutie Cuties" are by @beefcakeboss2 on Twitter.

I've always liked her look but I never knew much about her. Does she have arms and legs under that cape? She looks like a floating head.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I've always liked her look but I never knew much about her. Does she have arms and legs under that cape? She looks like a floating head.

I haven't read Marvel comics regularly for a while, so I don't know if there have been any changes. When I read the X-books regularly, yes, Phantazia was full-bodied.

Here are some panels of her out of uniform, as a blonde. I've seen her portrayed as a red-head, and white haired as well.