Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default CABLE #1 - Review/Spoilers

So I went into it expecting not to enjoy it, but came out pleasantly surprised... and optimistic about the future of the book and the character.

- Starts off with what we’ve seen in the preview, with the fight where Logan jobs to Kid Cable in The Quarry.
    - Turns out there was also a wager involved, so Logan owes Nathan a marker.
    - There’s an info page with a won/loss record of who’s fought one another in The Quarry which is kind of amusing, especially the Magik vs Gorgon one which sees him as winner because Magik was disqualified for some reason. She probably summoned a demon to eat him or something like that which is against the rules. It’s never explicitly stated.
    - Regardless, there are some other interesting fights on there, such as Dazzler (W) vs Jubilee (L), M (W) vs Bishop (L) and Rogue (W) vs Havok (L); also, Callisto is 3-0 but had some pretty soft competition, while this was apparently Logan’s first fight (he’s 0-1).
    - From there this kid named Curse comes over, tells Cable, Armor and Pixie that Fauna is missing; apparently he went to where “Krakoa ends and the monsters begin” because he sensed a monster in immense pain.
    - They show up, fight the giant monster for awhile (which looks like a huge lion creature of some type); there’s an amusing scene where Pixie calms Fauna down during the fight by sprinkling Pixie dust on him, and he kind of hallucinates and giggles as Cable fights it.
    - At any rate, it almost crushes Cable but Armor saves him; while they’re squished under its paw with her forcefield protecting them, she asks if he knew when he recruited her for X-Force that they were going to be friends on Krakoa later; he says he “never knew what that old dude was thinking” but then says “I’ll tell you what I’m thinking...” which seems very flirtatious, but then notices something stuck in the creature’s paw.
    - They work together to knock the monster down, and he uses his TK to pull whatever it is from the monster’s paw. Turns out to be a very cool looking sword, but as soon as he holds it in his metal arm it hits him with a psychic flash of the sword’s first owner.
    - The sword is called The Light of Galador, and its first owner was a space knight who pursued and killed monsters across the galaxy. He ended up on Monster Island and was killed by the giant lion monster Cable fought, and that’s how the sword got stuck in its paw.
    - Cable exclaims that while big guns were the old guy’s thing, he “always wanted a big f@#$ing sword!”
    - Cyclops comes in and Cable shows him the sword, which Scott remarks is clearly too light (in terms of the metal) to have come from Earth (which we already know).
    - Cut to outer space in a “Museum of Lost Civilizations” and three suits of space knight armor are suddenly awakened. They kill some of the museum’s security, bust out and head towards Earth to retrieve the Light of Galador.
    - The very end says “another time, another place” and there’s a giant, flaming demon crab thing threatening to kill someone off panel for an affront to their sovereign lands... the person off panel, his shadow looming large, says, “Where is he?” The giant crab demon says, “Go to hell, old man.” Ka-boom! It gets blown to hell... “You first” says the bad MFer on the splash page... none other than OG mafuhckin’ Cable!!! Love it.

All in all, the last page made the issue for me. But I’m intrigued by the story around this sword, with the space knights coming for it, and what if anything that may have to do with the upcoming X of Swords event. And the friendship between Armor, Pixie and Cable is interesting, if also a little weird because they did know the old man version and yet the kid version seems to be hitting on Armor at one point. But regardless, this was a fun issue and I’m now here for this series.

My hope is, of course, that eventually the “old guy” comes back and takes over as protagonist in this book. It was great seeing him again after the stupid way they killed him off in that terrible Extermination event.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-11-2020 at 08:11 AM.

This was cute. It reads like a good Star Wars comic. Noto's art was also really good in setting the vibe.

Oh, there’s also a final data page obviously authored by OG Cable called “The Hunt”. It seems to point to an upcoming Inferno type event where demons have taken over the Earth and some have fled off-world with hostages. Cable is hunting these demons and killing them without hesitation or mercy.

That last page alone made me glad that I decided to give this a shot. Noto's art was great for the most part so I think I will be sticking around.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Extraordinary Member

I just can't look at this art. Not saying this to slam the artist or anyone's taste, just that the only way I am going to keep up with this is summaries

Anyway, I get that this probably leads into X of Swords, but would rather see him with a psimitar as I still wonder where this version falls in the 'timeline', since it feels like he just came from a future where he lost his wife(?) and was way more a bad ass in Extermination, UXM Annual and X-Force. I would love to see OG Cable return, but would it really be OG or just a grown-up version of this one? Just wish I could read this story to get pass the hangover of another unneeded shocker that resulted in not knowing if this is the same character or not anymore.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Gerry pls

spoilers:
    dfhnhj.jpg
    end of spoilers
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Oh, there’s also a final data page obviously authored by OG Cable called “The Hunt”. It seems to point to an upcoming Inferno type event where demons have taken over the Earth and some have fled off-world with hostages. Cable is hunting these demons and killing them without hesitation or mercy.
    Yeah that was very interesting. I wonder if that's what X of Swords is about or if it's another event.

This comic was great imo. It was fun, it had some nice battle scenes and the art was on point.

I love Noto's art, it gives the book such a cool feel. This was a lot of fun.

Hisako's new look is already giving her much more of a personality (which she lacks, in my opinion) and I trust Duggan to make her interesting. Pixie was a treat. And of course, the end reveal. <3

Also, Duggan name-dropping Rogue hurts and warms my heart at the same time.

Just. Write. Her. Again. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I love Noto's art, it gives the book such a cool feel. This was a lot of fun.

Hisako's new look is already giving her a lot of personality (which she lacks, in my opinion) and I trust Duggan to make her interesting. Pixie was a treat. And of course, the end reveal. <3
    I love that Pixie went and drugged the kid to calm him down hahaha She must be great for parties on Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I love that Pixie went and drugged the kid to calm him down hahaha She must be great for parties on Krakoa.
    That was amazing. She kinda forgot she can teleport as well, which was lol.

I really enjoyed this issue, it was fun to see Armor been written in a likeable way. Also I'm curious about this Curse child, what are her powers?

It has been surprisingly great. I had no expectations but it was fun and interesting.

Is the Armor and X-Force a mistake? I don't remember Armor in X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    That last page alone made me glad that I decided to give this a shot. Noto's art was great for the most part so I think I will be sticking around.
    Yep. The last page made me glad I bought it. I went ahead and bought a subscription as I get my comics online via ComiXology. Hope Duggan doesn’t let me down with this tease and brings back OG Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I just can't look at this art. Not saying this to slam the artist or anyone's taste, just that the only way I am going to keep up with this is summaries

Anyway, I get that this probably leads into X of Swords, but would rather see him with a psimitar as I still wonder where this version falls in the 'timeline', since it feels like he just came from a future where he lost his wife(?) and was way more a bad ass in Extermination, UXM Annual and X-Force. I would love to see OG Cable return, but would it really be OG or just a grown-up version of this one? Just wish I could read this story to get pass the hangover of another unneeded shocker that resulted in not knowing if this is the same character or not anymore.
    Well, I thought it was established that Kid Cable has to eventually go back to the future to live out his destiny or else it causes the same problem he was trying to avoid by sending the O5 home. Which makes his sticking around even more idiotic since that’s precisely what he came back to prevent, which was damage to the timeline. So, assuming that’s the case, eventually he goes back to the future. Which means, in the here and now, OG Cable can simply be brought back via the Resurrection Protocols. Which is nice since Hope is one of The Five who would bring him back. Now... how much of his memory would be intact depends on when he was last backed up. So that could be interesting, depending on when that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It has been surprisingly great. I had no expectations but it was fun and interesting.

She joined his X-Force in the last Cable solo series and they fought the Externals together. Specifically Gideon.

It was Armor, Shatterstar, X-23, Doop and Cable. Actually a pretty awesome team, minus Doop I guess.

Extraordinary Member

Probably a reference to Brisson's Newer Mutants arc in Cable during the Legacy period.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

One of the earlier Cable series storyline involved him creating a special team for a one off mission - Armor was one of those included.
    I suppose that you could describe the team as an incarnation of X-force