Extraordinary Member

Default Fans of Mad Men - questions you have about the show

Are there any fans of Mad Men on here? If so, post some questions you had about the show.

Mine:

Was Don Draper/Dick Whitman bi-polar? He obviously had some issues due to his childhood upbringing but he seemed to have moments where he turned into another person.

He kind of was another person in a sense-a lot of "Don" was a fiction itself.

It's kind of interesting that the wife of the real Don Draper just kind of went with the deception shortly after she found out, and helped, sort of becoming the mother figure he never had. Had she lived and Don's theft ever been found out it's likely she would've got in trouble too. Makes me wonder if she had marriage problems with real Don.

Kind of curious how many other people knew. Dick's brother, All three wives of course (and Anna's niece) although Betty found out fairly late; Pete and Bert of course, maybe a few of the girlfriends that I can't remember right away; and I think Sally obviously figured it out. What's interesting is that he never seemed to tell Roger, Joan, or even Peggy although the latter might've had some suspicions.

The ending is often interpreted I think is that Don found some kind of inner peace during the retreat, and somehow got accepted back at the firm despite his "leave of absence" and submitted "I'd like to buy the world a Coke".

It's kind of interesting that Ken, despite losing the eye, was probably the guy who made it through the series relatively stable with no known affair or major scandal despite his behavior in the early seasons. The actor even got a decent video game L.A Noire (Which features a good deal of Mad Men alumni (Probably most notably Vincent Kartheiser).

Too bad we didn't revisit Sal before the end. Paul sort of got a coda episode with the whole Star Trek/Hary Krishna thing.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-01-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of interesting that Ken, despite losing the eye, was probably the guy who made it through the series relatively stable with no known affair or major scandal despite his behavior in the early seasons. The actor even got a decent video game L.A Noire
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, Ken was my favorite character of the series. He wasn't interested in being a partner of any of the firms established. He just came in, did his work, and loved his family. I hope he one day will write that novel that his wife wanted him to write.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I still have one season left... but want to start at the beginning again... its been awhile

Extraordinary Member

Too bad we didn't revisit Sal before the end. Paul sort of got a coda episode with the whole Star Trek/Hary Krishna thing.
    Yeah, it would've been nice to see that Sal got some kind of happy ending - or at least caught up with what he was doing. The show was odd how it would keep some characters and throw others out the door without ever mentioning them again.

I thought the Bob Benson storyline could've worked out a bit better and made more sense, especially since it seemed like he had some role to play in the death of Pete's mother. Just seemed like it was building to something and then just kind of got dropped.

Happens with AMC shows sometimes I think. Jessie's family in Breaking Bad for instance kind of got mostly written out of the show once Saul, Gus and Mike (Who are of course, the subjects of the spinoff/prequel) became the primary supporting characters. (They did return in El Camino, except for his brother, although the latter was at least mentioned)

Walking Dead also wrote out Heath with little explanation, although lately the producers have said he was taken by CRM, the helicopter people who also took Rick and Anne/Jadis.

Extraordinary Member

I thought the Bob Benson storyline could've worked out a bit better and made more sense, especially since it seemed like he had some role to play in the death of Pete's mother. Just seemed like it was building to something and then just kind of got dropped.
    Same thing with Pete/Peggy after season two. The storyline just ended. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Are there any fans of Mad Men on here? If so, post some questions you had about the show.

Mine:

Was Don Draper/Dick Whitman bi-polar? He obviously had some issues due to his childhood upbringing but he seemed to have moments where he turned into another person.
    I'd guess it was more PTSD, but who knows? We never saw much of Dick's life post-war, pre-joining the firm, but I never agreed with how they depicted Don when he met Roger - he seemed so young and chipper, a real "go-getter with stars in his eyes" or some such cliche. He seemed too well-adjusted in his new post-war life, imo.

Dick/Don's life seems to have been happiest when he was living with Anna in California, and also the few times he revisited her before her death. He also seemed fairly optimistic about his marriage to Betty at first as well (As we see in a flashback).

The series also hinted several times that Don's ideal dream job was actually to be a mechanic, as well. To be a tinkerer, not a suit.

Extraordinary Member

Dick/Don's life seems to have been happiest when he was living with Anna in California, and also the few times he revisited her before her death.
    That's probably because Anna had no expectations of him. Don was incapable of being committed to anyone including Betty, Megan, or his kids. He cared about them but not enough to give up his bad habits.