Default How long before the Coronavirus becomes a story in comics?

So with all the news about the Coronavirus and the panic and in some cases over reaction. How long before comic book writers put the Coronavirus in as a story plot? and how will they do it if they do? Will it be a virus or will it be the creation of some super villain? I am interested in seeing if something like this happens.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

I hope its less heavy-handed than what X-Men did with AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah. I don't want to really see Corona Virus in the comics--which are supposed to be an escape fron "the real world". They are calling it a Global Pandemic now with more than 125,000 cases, having started in China.

I want to see my superhero comics not involved with this at all, but I am sure it will pop up at some point.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The BATMAN franchise kind of already did it a quarter century ago with a storyline called CONTAGION. It wasn't coronavirus, but an even more catastrophic fictional pandemic originated by one of Batman's greatest enemies.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think it depends on how deep this goes and how long it goes for. If it works out to just being a new version of the flu which goes in and out with the seasons and we develop a vaccine for it within the year, then it likely doesn't become a story in comics.

If it starts to kill more than just elderly, immunocompromised people and doesn't go away by itself and the pandemic continues through the year, then it probably will start to invade pop culture. I think it also depends on response. In the US, I'd be very shocked if we go into forced quarantine like China and places in Japan. I just don't think it's in our culture to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think it depends on how deep this goes and how long it goes for. If it works out to just being a new version of the flu which goes in and out with the seasons and we develop a vaccine for it within the year, then it likely doesn't become a story in comics.

If it starts to kill more than just elderly, immunocompromised people and doesn't go away by itself and the pandemic continues through the year, then it probably will start to invade pop culture. I think it also depends on response. In the US, I'd be very shocked if we go into forced quarantine like China and places in Japan. I just don't think it's in our culture to do that.
    I would agree with you, except I have heard of collages closing, even those with no cases, going to online courses to continue out the semester. Various group events and meetings, such as those held in auditoriums and convention centers, have also been canceled.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Wasn't there a storyline in the X-books before Grant Morrison rebooted the franchise where a pandemic targeted and killed mutants?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I'd prefer if they avoided the AIDs analogus Legacy Virus role and also the "Ah I Dr Villain came up with it" thing. At best I'd say something like "Well this virus was everywhere, so I just piggybacked my spyware virus on it" is the least offensive way.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Wasn't there a storyline in the X-books before Grant Morrison rebooted the franchise where a pandemic targeted and killed mutants?
    Prior to Morrison. The Legacy Virus was created by Scott Lobdell in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'd prefer if they avoided the AIDs analogus Legacy Virus role and also the "Ah I Dr Villain came up with it" thing. At best I'd say something like "Well this virus was everywhere, so I just piggybacked my spyware virus on it" is the least offensive way.
    Could be worse, Matt Fraction did have some villains create a mutant flu knockoff of H1N1 flu a few years back... H1X1. (It's an awful story with paper-thin villains and Greg Land art from when the X-Men were in San Francisco.)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.