Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's not what the Omega classification is about, though. It's purely about power output and nothing else.

But it's extremely telling that at least twice now in post Secret Wars, we've had two futures of the end of the universe where Franklin is indeed one of the last beings left. Surely there must have been countless battles along the way, even as a teenager. That makes him much tougher than Exodus and Iceman in the long run, and is likely tied to his powers.
    I know, I was answering if he is "unstoppable".

And Franklin in one of those futures has been smashed to death by the Hulk.

Like his mother, we've seen him survive impressive things thanks to his shields (He tanked a Celestial blast and he could talk with Black Bolt) but we've never seen him do things like resurrect himself or have a healing factor. Without consciously using his powers he doesn't appear to have increased durability.

To take a stupid example: If you caught Franklin Richards and Silver Surfer by surprise in their sleep and shot them in the head, the bullet would ricochet off Silver Surfer but kill Franklin.

If you were to face both awake, Franklin Richards would beat you more easily than Silver Surfer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    They’re going to be disappointed in the answer.
    That is down to the writers as always but I wouldn't be surprised if Darwin and Synch could ask questions after being in the vault for over 2000 years let alone a CoV omega. As we know CoV powers work on a different level than mutants going so far as saying Rogue cannot copy their power,logic dictates their Omegas could give Franklin a hard time.To say CoV don't have at least one Omega is inconceivable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    To take a stupid example: If you caught Franklin Richards and Silver Surfer by surprise in their sleep and shot them in the head, the bullet would ricochet off Silver Surfer but kill Franklin.
    I love this stupid example.

The only mutant who could really challenge Franklin is probably Legion and that because his power is "Power Manipulation" which can mean anything.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    One character who rarely gets mentioned (probably because he is not consistently at the level of those guys) is Gambit. Gambit is an omega level mutant who purposely dampened his power for fear of it getting out of his control. At his full power he was able to destroy an alternate realities Phoenix. I hope we get to address this more because I feel like when we have discussions of omega level Gambit deserves to be in there. At his peak he can fly, control kinetic energy at a molecular level, he has control of temperature and motion and gravity and potentially even magnetism, he is able to self heal and explode things with a look, and best of all he can time travel. If Gambit is ever written correctly again I feel like he needs to at least be above Ice Man and Jean and Magneto.
    I'm pretty sure this is why Hickman created his definitive omega mutant list because of power creep and how various writers have made most of the X-men world ending powerful at some point, or said they had the potential to be world-ending or have unlimited potential.

Gambit is not likely to see the potential shown in those pictures any time soon. That is not to say writers cannot have his powers grow or evolve. They just will not be on the omega level.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is why Hickman created his definitive omega mutant list because of power creep and how various writers have made most of the X-men world ending powerful at some point, or said they had the potential to be world-ending or have unlimited potential.

Gambit is not likely to see the potential shown in those pictures any time soon. That is not to say writers cannot have his powers grow or evolve. They just will not be on the omega level.
    That’s a fair assessment. Though I wouldn’t trust Hickman to write Gambit as he doesn’t seem to love him. In fact a lot of writers often lowball Gambit.

Technically speaking Gambit being Omega level is a product of his solo series so I’m not sure how solo series often tie in canon wise. However Gambit being a lot stronger than he appears is definitely canon in the Uncanny x-men series as it was part of his Uncanny X-men. In the trial of Gambit we learn how in order to dampen his power Gambit did a bad thing. So if any writer wanted to make him omega in the actual canon series the setup is there. But I wonder if any writer is willing to

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I wonder what might scare them more...Franklin's alliance to Humans or Legion's being unknown.
    Legion hands down

1.He crazy
    2.After his Age of X drama (with a personality posing as Moira) you have the real Moira playing gene god bringing Legion into being like some lab rat.I would love for him to find out the truth and see how Xavier and her spin their way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    One character who rarely gets mentioned (probably because he is not consistently at the level of those guys) is Gambit. Gambit is an omega level mutant who purposely dampened his power for fear of it getting out of his control. At his full power he was able to destroy an alternate realities Phoenix. I hope we get to address this more because I feel like when we have discussions of omega level Gambit deserves to be in there. At his peak he can fly, control kinetic energy at a molecular level, he has control of temperature and motion and gravity and potentially even magnetism, he is able to self heal and explode things with a look, and best of all he can time travel. If Gambit is ever written correctly again I feel like he needs to at least be above Ice Man and Jean and Magneto.
    All of this appear to be energy manipulation. In the current classification, an Omega level is mutant that can't be surpassed in what they do, and Vulcan is the omega level mutant in Energy manipulation, so it don't actually matter what Gambit is capable of doing, just that Vulcan is more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    All of this appear to be energy manipulation. In the current classification, an Omega level is mutant that can't be surpassed in what they do, and Vulcan is the omega level mutant in Energy manipulation, so it don't actually matter what Gambit is capable of doing, just that Vulcan is more powerful.
    That seems poorly defined.

Doe that mean Artie is an Omega Level mutant because nobody can talk in pictures better than he can?
    Is Colossus Omega level because nobody can turn into a tougher metal than he can?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Doe that mean Artie is an Omega Level mutant because nobody can talk in pictures better than he can?
    Is Colossus Omega level because nobody can turn into a tougher metal than he can?
    I'm sure is necessary some other stuff to be an omega, but to not be an omega, all is needed is for someone to be more powerful, is the reason Prof. X isn't one, he is a world level telepath, but Jean and Quentin are more powerful.

Unless the authors do something with this Omega stuff, I don’t see really the point of that.

It seems to me just a way to say: “This one is particularly powerful, beware, bad stuff or marvelous stuff can happen…“

Or maybe it’s done to justify that some characters have more panels than others…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Unless the authors do something with this Omega stuff, I don’t see really the point of that.

It seems to me just a way to say: “This one is particularly powerful, beware, bad stuff or marvelous stuff can happen…“

Or maybe it’s done to justify that some characters have more panels than others…
    Yeah, Exodus doesn't stop appearing in every comic book, they're going to give him a mini shortly.

Astonishing Member

It really isn't, because you don't necessarily have proof Collosus is made of the toughest metal. For all we know he and Husk can turn their bodies into the same metal. Yes in likelihood it does look like any specific power allows all mutants who have it to test their limits with it and so the most powerful in that regard becomes Omega ,but remember reality warpers or matter manipulators at the basic level can manifest almost any matter related power along the spectrum so they may as well be superior still because by their nature they delineate the limits of the power being competed by the rest .I see no contradiction.So since metal is matter Absalom Mercator who controls matter is the ultimate powerhouse in how hard or dense a metal(or diamond harder than metal btw) is.Vulcan is more powerful than Pyro or Sunspot assuming Vulcan's energy stands for heat energy in positive direction while Iceman is omega on the negative direction. The question can be asked however since heat ,sound,gravity and electro magnetic waves are energy why is Magneto an omega as well as Vulcan?
    My simple answer is the illustration of a musician who knows how to play piano,guitar,drums and saxaphone all with great skill but he is not better at guitar than a certain artist who has mastered guitar only!(Maybe the latter can play with either hand and his toes while the former only his right hand)When you think about it deeply it is possible the same is for Franklin it could be he is master of quantum and psionic constructs ergo universal OR it could be that he is master of universe construction hence the onus is on the universes and types of universes he can make.Pretty powerful sure, but in the second emphasis it could mean while he can manipulate matter all sorts of ways .Absalom Mercator no matter what universe he traverses even one that Franklin built ,will still be able to manipulate matter there in ways Franklin will not be able to because no one manipulates matter like Absalom can not even Franklin.If you think of it like that ,all arguments cease
    Last edited by Rev9; 08-15-2020 at 03:20 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So I think based on the definition we are using for omega, which is a mutant that is at the top unchallenged as the undisputed champion, we can do some comparisons.

I had to actually look up what Vulcan could do specifically. I'll admit he was an interesting one to learn about, especially considering he's the Summers brother and there was that long lasting theory that Gambit was one of Scott's brothers. Plus it's interesting how they both manipulate energy.

Remy mastered kinetic ability specifically. Idk if specific energy makes a difference in omega definition. But based on my research I don't think we can say that Vulcan is DEFINITELY omega if Gambit regains his full strength. Currently, yes, Vulcan is stronger than depowered Gambit. No question. At full power though Gambit has some energy manipulation that Vulcan doesn't have and Vulcan has some that Gambit doesn't have. I think the deciding factor is which one has more valuable powers in a specific circumstsnce

Gambit at full power and Vulcan can do a lot of the same things like control people's bodies and manipulate them on a cellular level affecting their powers, both can fly, can control speed and motion of people and objects and themselves and can control heat in people.

A couple places they do differ is Vulcan can absorb others energies and powers and use them as his own powers and he can potentially revive people I think I read. These are things Gambit has not been shown to do at his peak. But Gambit has shown the ability of time travel without assistance and has self regeneration to heal from deadly wounds. They said Vulcan needed a prosthetic eye from a punch from someone so I don't think he has the same level of self regen

Again atm Vulcan is clearly superior to Gambit but I don't know if Vulcan would be the top choice if Gambit permanently puts the part of his brain he had removed back. But it would be an awesome competition to see.

Still I will admit you have given me a very fun pairing to mess around with and compare. This reminds me when I thought about Kraven and Gambit as foes and realizing they are perfect foes. So thanks I suppose for getting my imagination going lol
    Last edited by Gripstir; 08-15-2020 at 12:56 AM.

I thought it was established long ago that Franklin was the most powerful?

I remember it always bugged me because he was never seen in the X-books.