Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Dick wasn't even the heart of the Titans (that was Donna).

This was allready done post Graduation Day, when he and Arsenal lead the Outsiders.
    Right. Forgot about Donna.

Yeah I know about that one, and... correct me if I'm wrong, both times that he's involved with espionage mission or mission that's considered unclean unlike classic superheroic... well, three times if you count Renegade... someone always says he's too nice to fit into that world.

In Outsiders, it was Batman who tells Dick to fight the good fight and leave the grey area to them. In Renegade, Deathstroke never believes Dick turns around. In Grayson, it was Helena and Midnighter, maybe Tiger King too.

I don't know about Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    maybe but at that agent 37 was DC's biggest spy character.
    Yeah... he leads the only spy book at that time. SHADE and Grifter were already canceled long before that, now Max Lord is in custody and Leviathan decimated the whole spy world.

No... wait... I forget... Max Lord is Wonder Woman villain now so we can forget about that part too
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-13-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Kill him off. Give the character a break from the boring out of touch writers like Lobdell and Jurgans he has become fodder to, then bring him back with fresh creators and genuinely new ideas.

What going on with Nightwing is indicative to bigger issues at DC. An over reliance on creators those in the office are comfortable with, while prioritizing having there be something for certain creators to do over what’s actually good for their properties.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-13-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Kill him off. Give the character a break from the boring out of touch writers like Lobdell and Jurgans he has become fodder to, then bring him back with fresh creators and genuinely new ideas.

What going on with Nightwing is indicative to bigger issues at DC. An over reliance on creators those in the office are comfortable with, while prioritizing having there be something for certain creators to do over what’s actually good for their properties.
    Other than killing him off, i’d Be okay w. Dick taking a break.
    Better no Dick than bad Dick. Like I said, Dick needs to get out of Batman’s sphere of influence. Having his book be a subsidiary of the main Bat books just ties a writer’s hands. The great thing about Dick is, he can stand on his own, with no Batman in sight.

This is why the easiest thing is Dick having a big fallout. Or just takes a break as Nightwing. I mean this is one of the most important question if there is no Dick in Batfam how much will that matter? Does he matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Other than killing him off, i’d Be okay w. Dick taking a break.
    Better no Dick than bad Dick. Like I said, Dick needs to get out of Batman’s sphere of influence. Having his book be a subsidiary of the main Bat books just ties a writer’s hands. The great thing about Dick is, he can stand on his own, with no Batman in sight.
    They shot him in the head and took away his history, yet that just gave them a excuse to feed him to the likes of Lobdell and Jurgan’s. Death might be the only way for the character to get a reprieve.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is why the easiest thing is Dick having a big fallout. Or just takes a break as Nightwing. I mean this is one of the most important question if there is no Dick in Batfam how much will that matter? Does he matter ?
    Have you met Ric yet?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-13-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Keep everything from before he turned into Ric.

He really needs a great creative team and a fresh approach. I have always been an advocate for giving Dick a new Sidekick. His dynamic with Damian was great and as a former sidekick, Dick taking on the training of a young hero on his own is a no brainer idea that has perfect story potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They shot him in the head and took away his history, yet that just gave them a excuse to feed him to the likes of Lobdell and Jurgan’s. Death might be the only way for the character to get a reprieve.
    Dick doesn’t really need a convoluted back from the dead story, though. That’s just adding more fuel to the fire he already has burning. By all means though, give him a vacation!

He kind of needs the equivalent of Born Again, a real before/after set of events that defines him as an independent adult. The super-spy stuff was so unique and fresh and I think it should be brought back somehow.

While I'm sure it was done well, I'm not a fan of the whole spy thing for a hero and rather they not go back to it. It's one of those things that was fresh because it was new and temporary, and returning to it would make it not fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Keep everything from before he turned into Ric.

He really needs a great creative team and a fresh approach. I have always been an advocate for giving Dick a new Sidekick. His dynamic with Damian was great and as a former sidekick, Dick taking on the training of a young hero on his own is a no brainer idea that has perfect story potential.
    And bloat the Batfamily even further?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While I'm sure it was done well, I'm not a fan of the whole spy thing for a hero and rather they not go back to it. It's one of those things that was fresh because it was new and temporary, and returning to it would make it not fresh.

And bloat the Batfamily even further?
    It does not even need to be a new character.

Before Bendis aged him up, Jon Kent was my main choice for being Dick's new sidekick. It has a precedent as the original Nightwing and Flamebird story was a Kryptonian story. It would also be interesting to see how Superman reacts to his son being the sidekick of another hero (and it could give Jon an independent streak that would be more in-line with the personality of his mother) and how Damian Wayne reacts to it as they are both really close to him and Dick and Jon being close to each other could spark some interesting emotions in Damian.

Bette Kane or Harper Row could also be options as I think the "bloatedness" of the Batfamily is not helped by the fact that a bunch of the Batfamily characters are not really being used for anything

Didn't he also train Rose? I mean how bad would it be to cut Dick from the Batfam for a bit? TO cut ties completely for a bit. I know he is a popular Batfam character but maybe it's a time for a break. A long break from the family. No fallout just something else is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It does not even need to be a new character.

Before Bendis aged him up, Jon Kent was my main choice for being Dick's new sidekick. It has a precedent as the original Nightwing and Flamebird story was a Kryptonian story. It would also be interesting to see how Superman reacts to his son being the sidekick of another hero (and it could give Jon an independent streak that would be more in-line with the personality of his mother) and how Damian Wayne reacts to it as they are both really close to him and Dick and Jon being close to each other could spark some interesting emotions in Damian.

Bette Kane or Harper Row could also be options as I think the "bloatedness" of the Batfamily is not helped by the fact that a bunch of the Batfamily characters are not really being used for anything
    I'd prefer Harper or Bette over Jon (Duke might also be a good choice). Superman's son as Nightwing's sidekick just feels a bit too convoluted. Like, why? Why and how do you set that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd prefer Harper or Bette over Jon (Duke might also be a good choice). Superman's son as Nightwing's sidekick just feels a bit too convoluted. Like, why? Why and how do you set that up?
    I think it would be easy to engineer a scenario where Jon and Clark fall out a bit and Jon finds his way to Nightwing and starts being Dick's sidekick. I think there is plenty of drama and good character growth that could be mined from the scenario, it would be fun to see Jon and Nightwing interact, A Sidekick with superpowers as opposed to a skilled normal person would be an interesting change and dynamic.

Duke was another character who I was thinking about but isn't he is in the Batman and the Outlaws book right now? I guess he could be in both. And Duke is definitely a character that I think DC could find more of a good use for and being Dick's sidekick could be that good use.
    Last edited by KC; 03-13-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Duke is in Outsiders with Cass and Katana

I just went on the make your own DC team thread and found my Dick spy team
    Oracle - command center
    Huntress - leader
    Dick - executive-level infiltrator - charmer
    Jason - security-level infiltrator - bodyguards, goons, point men
    Stephanie - tech support infiltrator - info breaker
    Roy Harper - Back up if things go wrong or to cover escape
    Katana - Anti assassination team leader
    Cassandra Cain - Anti assassination team member

Anyway that's fun but still doesn't solve Dick's solo problem
    Maybe just trim the team down into just him and a command center
    He can infiltrate to foil the plan, then at the climax deal with the villains for hire or wild card physically in costume.

That kinda plot doesn't allow for free civilian life though. Everything's fake, at least until the mission's done. It's a very lonely role by the end of it, and I don't know if it fits Dick, unless... unless he managed to charm everyone he infiltrates and they all figure it out it's Dick, and they all become friends lol
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

He just needs to be Dick Grayson again