Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Related to this but it annoys me when writers have her refer to Superman as "Kal". I don't mid it if Kryptonians call him that but to people from Earth it should be Clark or Superman.
    This is particularly true in post-COIE, when Clark has no attachment or memory of that name. At least in the silver age Superboy he thought of that as his real name sometimes - not the case later (or earlier).

I'm the opposite of that one. I absolutely can not STAND when actual experienced professional superheroes call each other Bruce, Clark and Hal... WAY too many ways for people to be spying on them... anything from mystical to satelites that they could never be sooooo 'flippant' with the secret identites. It's definitely a trend of modern comics that I hate.
    I don't mind it in private (at a certain point, they have to just hope it's safe, or else they couldn't even change clothes from one identity to the other without fear), but in public, it is annoying. It's been that way for a while, true. Since the '90s, at least. Haven't paid enough attention to see when the trend started, though.

'Kal' is the one thing that i do make an exception for.... since Kal is a non-entity. Kal-el has no loved ones or employment or a street address to blow up. if Lex or Brainiac learn that Superman's 'real name' is Kal-el.... it gains them nothing. So I can cut that identity a little slack. But Clark and Bruce... ughhhh... That's just rookie moves.
    To me, it makes much more logical sense for them to just call him "Superman" in that case, rather than "Kal".

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This is particularly true in post-COIE, when Clark has no attachment or memory of that name. At least in the silver age Superboy he thought of that as his real name sometimes - not the case later (or earlier).

I don't mind it in private (at a certain point, they have to just hope it's safe, or else they couldn't even change clothes from one identity to the other without fear), but in public, it is annoying. It's been that way for a while, true. Since the '90s, at least. Haven't paid enough attention to see when the trend started, though.

To me, it makes much more logical sense for them to just call him "Superman" in that case, rather than "Kal".
    Maybe like.. IN the batcave or something... Possibly the fortress of Solitude... but hanging out in a open field or a mountain or anywhere that the bad guys PROBABLY ARE watching... totally unacceptable. Capes = codenames, Glasses = civilian name. Anything else is just sloppy. It's even the mentality of it. If something unexpected happens, some missle or explosion or something crazy... it should be well trained that you would scream out 'BATMAN!!!' and not look at that cowl and immediately think 'BRUCE!!!' Frankly as much as they pretend they're friends and all... Diana, Clark and Bruce have almost zero contact in those identities. Their history and experiences are almost entirely about Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman... That's who they met first and that's really where their connections are.

Frankly I think that only Hal Jordan and Ollie Queen have the personal civilian relationship to justify first names being their 'real names'. I'll always prefer the silver/bronze ages where it was always Flash and Green Lantern and not Barry and Hal....

I don't mind Diana calling him Kal. It's an informal name, denoting their closeness, but without giving away his secret identity.

But I'm not invested in it either way. I just wish they'd be consistent with it. Because some writers have her call him Kal and some don't. Some have Clark bothered by it, others have him okay with it. Some have her do it to illustrate their closeness, as said, but others use it to portray Diana as aloof, similar to the contractions thing.

Just make a goddamn decision and stick with it, DC.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It doesn't really bother me one way or another... but I will say that having dealt with a lot more foreign people this year, it does seems more prevalant when English isn't their native tongues. The nicknames and contractions that come more natural to us, non-native speakers tend to focus more on 'grammatically correct dialogue than 'comfortable' speech. In that aspect I like that it gives WW a 'not really american' feel, though if they DON'T do it... I don't think about it enough to miss it.
    Pretty much this.

Anyone remember the Family Guy characters, the "foreigners who've lived in America almost long enough to sound American?" That's along the lines of what I'd like Diana to sound like but it's not a big deal either way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Maybe like.. IN the batcave or something... Possibly the fortress of Solitude... but hanging out in a open field or a mountain or anywhere that the bad guys PROBABLY ARE watching... totally unacceptable. Capes = codenames, Glasses = civilian name. Anything else is just sloppy. It's even the mentality of it. If something unexpected happens, some missle or explosion or something crazy... it should be well trained that you would scream out 'BATMAN!!!' and not look at that cowl and immediately think 'BRUCE!!!' Frankly as much as they pretend they're friends and all... Diana, Clark and Bruce have almost zero contact in those identities. Their history and experiences are almost entirely about Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman... That's who they met first and that's really where their connections are.

Frankly I think that only Hal Jordan and Ollie Queen have the personal civilian relationship to justify first names being their 'real names'. I'll always prefer the silver/bronze ages where it was always Flash and Green Lantern and not Barry and Hal....
    I can't imagine Batman ever using someone's real name out in the field unless he was absolutely 100% sure no one could hear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I don't mind Diana calling him Kal. It's an informal name, denoting their closeness, but without giving away his secret identity.

But I'm not invested in it either way. I just wish they'd be consistent with it. Because some writers have her call him Kal and some don't. Some have Clark bothered by it, others have him okay with it. Some have her do it to illustrate their closeness, as said, but others use it to portray Diana as aloof, similar to the contractions thing.

Just make a goddamn decision and stick with it, DC.
    I think the exact meaning behind her calling him Kal is left up to the reader more then something writers really dive into.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't imagine Batman ever using someone's real name out in the field unless he was absolutely 100% sure no one could hear them.
    Batman should be paranoid enough to know that someone could ALWAYS be watching or listening. How many times has the Batcave been infiltrated or the Batmobile tampered with or bugged? Even at his most 'god-like' Batman can't control some kid with some mail away spygear looking and listening out the window.... let alone the Lexcorp satellites hovering above or Amanda Waller, Vandal Savage or any of the other highly funded masterminds out there. .

Heck... he's the one who created Brother Eye for heavens sake... AND lost control of it.

There have been quite a few eras where costumes and codenames stay in the cave and civilian names and clothes stay in the manor. no cross contamination or getting lazy.

Don't have to imagine - like has been said, they all do it.

There have been quite a few eras where costumes and codenames stay in the cave and civilian names and clothes stay in the manor. no cross contamination or getting lazy.
    Has that ever been consistent? I know there's been lipservice to the idea, but has it ever actually been followed through for several years at a time?

And frankly, it only half makes sense, anyway. Keeping costumed identities out of the manor makes sense. But for any Robins but Tim (possibly Duke) depending on time period, even knowing the location of the Batcave (to spy on it) reveals their identities, so there isn't any reason to not use real names there.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-22-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Don't have to imagine - like has been said, they all do it.
    I know, just from a personal headcanon perspective.