Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I remember hearing there was a car model called MR2 once that was marketed in France under a different name, because saying it out loud sounded exactly like the French word for "shithead".
    Sounds plausible. It kinda sounds as if you were saying "eh, merdeux" which means, something like "yo, dumbkid". (merdeux just means kid, it's not a nice way to call a child lol but it's somewhat acceptable, comes from merde who means shit)

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Sounds plausible. It kinda sounds as if you were saying "eh, merdeux" which means, something like "yo, dumbkid". (merdeux just means kid, it's not a nice way to call a child lol but it's somewhat acceptable, comes from merde who means shit)
    I think it was emmerdeur.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I think it was emmerdeur.
    They got it wrong then, impossible you mistake MR2 for emmerdeur.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    They got it wrong then, impossible you mistake MR2 for emmerdeur.
    Em Ar Deux = emm er deur = emmerdeur
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

It's probably an urban myth, but it was a popular story at the time: General Motors had to change the name of the Chevy Nova in Latin American markets, because in Spanish "No va" implies that the car "won't go".

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I was watching an ad for a beer and I got to thinking of things with an unfortunate name. A name at the time that may have seemed like a good idea but events have made it a little funny to the ear.

I have a couple.

Corona Beer. Whenever I hear someone talk about Corona I think of the virus not the beer.

And on Archer the spy group he worked for was called Isis. Can anyone think of a more sinister Isis?

Can anyone name any others.
    Actually, before the virus I always associated Corona something else among other people.

I don't know about other unfortunate istances with names.

I guess Spotted Dick (a British dessert) might raise some eyebrows from some people.

Astonishing Member

The word Cocktail. If you take it apart you translate Cock with Schwanz (the human dick) and tail is the tail of an animal, that also translates into Schwanz, that in German means Tail and Dick. So, if you want you can translate the word cocktail with DickDick

By the way, Anheuser Busch who produces Corona Beer is losing money big time, because people do not by Corona beer anymore. I mean, wtf??

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The word Cocktail. If you take it apart you translate Cock with Schwanz (the human dick) and tail is the tail of an animal, that also translates into Schwanz, that in German means Tail and Dick. So, if you want you can translate the word cocktail with DickDick

By the way, Anheuser Busch who produces Corona Beer is losing money big time, because people do not by Corona beer anymore. I mean, wtf??
    Guilt by association, thanks to people too dumb to know the difference.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Why would they lose money? Aren't people buying their other beers instead of Corona?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We only buy Corona here.

Likely reason people aren't buying:

Fade in to a lively party, doorbell rings.
    Woman rushes to the door, "I got it!"
    Man at the door says to her, "I got the Corona--"
    Door slams shut.

Doorbell rings.
    A young man answers the door.
    Same man is at the door, says "I got the Corona--"
    Door slams shut.

An hour later, the host exclaims "Where the *&$% is Jeff? He was supposed to be here with the beer by now!"
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

The database software I use was pioneered by a man called Dick Pick.

And to whoever said that "Dick" didn't have the same implication a few decades ago, it sure did where I live!
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

I hereby volunteer myself to take as much as I can afford of their Corona beer off their hands at 75% the original price.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    When Stan Lee was doing his Just Imagine series for DC, his version of Batman was going to have the secret identity of Wayne Williams. That was, until an editor at DC reminded everyone that there was a serial killer of children in Atlanta in the 1980s, named Wayne Williams. So Stan changed the character's name to Wayne Washington.
    You sure about that? Gotham Comics reprint comics without - I assume- changing their text, I read that issue and it has the Wayne Williams name.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    You sure about that? Gotham Comics reprint comics without - I assume- changing their text, I read that issue and it has the Wayne Williams name.
    Really? Maybe that reprint was an early ashcan or something. But the first printing which I own has the Wayne Washington name. It was only in the listing Previews from a few months earlier that had the Wayne Williams name.
    Watching television is not an activity.