Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Things with unfortunate names..

I was watching an ad for a beer and I got to thinking of things with an unfortunate name. A name at the time that may have seemed like a good idea but events have made it a little funny to the ear.

I have a couple.

Corona Beer. Whenever I hear someone talk about Corona I think of the virus not the beer.

And on Archer the spy group he worked for was called Isis. Can anyone think of a more sinister Isis?

Can anyone name any others.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Before the disease, Aids was the name of a popular candy for dieters. It pretty much destroyed the company. I think I saw it in a store with a slightly different spelling. The radio commercials just kept airing for a long time after word of the disease was out there.

Richard Rider, aka Nova.

Nova was created by Marv Wolfman and John Romita in 1976, and was given the name "Richard Rider" to mirror the alliteration and rhythm of Peter Parker, who he was inspired by. While yes, his name can literally be "Dick Rider" now, it should be noted that "Dick" didn't have the same connotation back then so it likely didn't cross the minds of anyone at Marvel.

IIRC, Wizard Magazine had a mascot named Poof. Later, they found out the name was an offensive British slang for a male homosexual.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Poof has been seen since.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Reminds me of a man named Howard Fartblocker who hated his name. So he went to court and had it changed.
    He is now John Fartblocker.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Bi-Beast.
    Power with Girl is better.

When Stan Lee was doing his Just Imagine series for DC, his version of Batman was going to have the secret identity of Wayne Williams. That was, until an editor at DC reminded everyone that there was a serial killer of children in Atlanta in the 1980s, named Wayne Williams. So Stan changed the character's name to Wayne Washington.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Richard Rider, aka Nova.

Nova was created by Marv Wolfman and John Romita in 1976, and was given the name "Richard Rider" to mirror the alliteration and rhythm of Peter Parker, who he was inspired by. While yes, his name can literally be "Dick Rider" now, it should be noted that "Dick" didn't have the same connotation back then so it likely didn't cross the minds of anyone at Marvel.
    Speaking of that, ummm, unusual name, I give you NASCAR driver Dick Trickle. Yes, that WAS his name.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-13-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Reminds me of a man named Howard Fartblocker who hated his name. So he went to court and had it changed.
    He is now John Fartblocker.
    This made me laugh.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member

The "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson once had a guest on because his actual legal name was "Donald Duck". He was born three years before the first appearance of Disney's Donald, so when Mr. and Mrs. Duck chose that name for their son they had no idea what they would be sticking him with.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson once had a guest on because his actual legal name was "Donald Duck". He was born three years before the first appearance of Disney's Donald, so when Mr. and Mrs. Duck chose that name for their son they had no idea what they would be sticking him with.
    That. Is. Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Corona Beer. Whenever I hear someone talk about Corona I think of the virus not the beer

That's always going to be the beer i think about first. So many fancy memories.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I remember hearing there was a car model called MR2 once that was marketed in France under a different name, because saying it out loud sounded exactly like the French word for "shithead".
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!