Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Allow me to simplfy things for, i had training with a sword. I learned kendo for the heck of it. It can be learned by anyone, at any age. I can be a samurai if pledge myself to a master. Superman can learn kendo and he is a paragon so can pledge himself. He can be a samurai. Batman can be a samurai. You can be a samurai . A ninja is different.
    Actually, the samurai used to recruit people from childhood as well. So, sorry, if Batman can't be a ninja, Superman can't be a samurai. Simple as that.

Sure, that's basically how they do it. It isn't recruitment more like kidnapping . Bruce wayne was above the age margin for the recruitment process. Bruce was 10 or something . It is largely exclusive societies.
    So, 10 is too old? Dude, this conversation is pointless. Again, Batman: Ninja didn't even feature Batman becoming a ninja. However, yes, Bruce has trained in ninjutsu. Mastered it, to be exact.

Who said i had no problem with the irishman being ra' s? I did.
    Well, that's it's own issue.

Well, guess what? Ninja's are assassin's. If bruce doesn't like their code of conduct or ethics. He cannot be a part of them. He didn't chose, he failed by not following the sencho's order.two things, following orders is absolute for a ninja. A ninja must get rid of his emotions. Bruce wayne is emo goth.
    The point is that it wasn't because Bruce wasn't skilled enough. In fact, Bruce was more than skilled enough, as evidenced by the fact that he beat the League of Assassins.

Also, anyone who calls Batman an "emo goth" probably hasn't read much Batman.

And for the same billionth time, then it's false advertising. making karate kid about kung fu is also nonsense.
    The point is though, that it wasn't really a "change" of the Batman mythos.

Dude, you said that already. First issue was set in Metropolis. Predating something doesn't mean it was cemented. Smallville was suburban region of metropolis, originally. They weren't the countryside Nor was Clark being a farmer ever relevant or even true. He didn't do anything farmers did. Look at smallville tv series, that guy is a farmer through and through.
    You do know that "suburbs" actually tend to be quite rural. I grew up in the suburbs and there was a lot of farmland around where I grew up. Also, here's a page from issue #11 of that same series:

That looks like a lot of farmland that Clark is leaping over if you ask me. Also, in issue #12, it shows Clark doing a lot of chores around the farmhouse. But furthermore, the farm boy thing again predated any of this and later became 100% cemented as the classic set up for how Superman was raised.

Martial arts are different types and have different training method. Some require a life, from child hood to master. For instance, many martial practices in india require you to stay with your guru from childhood and learn.
    Well, Batman has been stated, in canon, as having mastered 137 different martial arts.

Furthermore, batman used ninja for marketing.Batman anime manga was produced by the company. There was literally one anime movie(gotham knight) before ninja. That's it.
    And at least a few manga series. And again, so what if it was produced by the company? Everything involving these characters is "produced by the company."

They create martial arts of their own culture,with inspiration from other cultures like chinese, Korean and indian. There is difference between that and outsiders perspective. American did same shit with godzilla. Godzilla was about Japanese trauma about atomic bomb. The Americans took it, lo and behold! An american protagonist and american perspective for their audience.
    Didn't you just say that Superman becoming a samurai, despite never having any sort of Japanese cultural ties before, is no problem?

Sasuke, neji.. Etc got dojutsu. Naruto got kyubi. Harry potter having chaos in him is pretty much "nature". Kyubi was also antagonist.
    What?

Why did heracles marry hera's daughter? Why was that plot point required? Because raising someone requires you to impact the character of the person. It pains me but i have my biological parents in me to a great deal. Bruce has thomas wayne and martha wayne in him, but never alfred.
    Again, Hera didn't raise Heracles and never acted in a motherly capacity toward him. And Alfred very much does impact Bruce's character. What makes you think he doesn't?

I said, two sets of parents one for nature and another for nurture . I had no set no criteria for number of contents or types or even nature of relationship with eachother.

Here is my original comment regarding the universal hero archetype.
    When you say "two sets of parents," the most obvious interpretation is that you mean four people (i.e. two pairs of two). It was only after I pointed out that not all heroes fit that mold that you were like "I really meant that a "set of parents" can be just one person."

You can. Company can say whatever they want. The books themselves do not portray alfred as bruce's parent. If and when i start seeing alfred in bruce then i will believe it.
    You mean the company that owns the character we're talking about? Or the books you apparently don't read?

But if you want examples of Alfred being shown as Bruce's guardian, just off the top of my head, I can think of the War Games arc and Dark Victory, both of which, I'm pretty sure, have flashbacks to Bruce's youth where Alfred is shown being his guardian. Either way, though, the canon clearly states that Alfred was Bruce's legal guardian. That's just a fact and it doesn't change just because you don't see it.

It does. Trust me, dude.We are stuck with family and you can't get it out of your system. A family member ain't like girlfriend. It's much, much, much harder to get rid off.Sanji was raised by zeff and is his father. He didn't want anything to do with his "father". But, at the end of the day his father is also his father and he saved him.
    Well, its a lot easier when you were not raised by that person nor are you related to them. Some would say that actually doesn't make them your family.

That's later nonsense. Where superman has denounced his vigilante side and comics code came to be. When they started "clark you must help people with police" thing. Furthermore, pa and ma started spoonfed ridiculous morality that has no basis and is laughable when it comes to depth from actual parents.
    Didn't you just say "predated doesn't mean cemented." The interpretation of Ma and Pa Kent that made Clark's costume for him isn't any less valid. They approve of Clark's vigilantism. And again, according to the dictionary, a vigilante is any "self-appointed doer of justice." Superman definitely fits that definition.

But, wouldn't the fact that the GCPD has the Bat-signal and frequently calls Batman in to work on cases, mean that under your logic, Batman wouldn't be a vigilante??

That's for getting people's attention. Also, the lose translation of ubermensch,makes it seem like superman fits. He doesn't. Superman is zarathustra. He dostoevsky's jesus in the grand inquisitor. He is basically the church. He fails precisely for the same.The church or many other religious institution is also aspirational for many. But, that is exactly what nietzsche was against. Clark kent ignores dark desires or doesn't have them. He is untouched by the seven deadly sin.
    Again, just telling you what most people say. I don't even want to go down this rabbit hole.

Did i say that donner movies aren't ? Without max fleischer cartoons starwars sword fights will be stick fights. Godzilla, iron giant, miyazaki movies... Etc are all influenced by the cartoons. Donner was the reason those movies were remotely good for the time. And wb basically threw him out. They would have. But, paramount is the one approaching seeing superman's success if i remember. Furthermore,that still doesn't change dc is largely has been not successful with their ips not named batman.
    Well, Wonder Woman and Aquaman would like to say hi to you. And again, the reason why Superman's media adaptations have been lackluster, except for the Donner films, is not because they haven't invested in him or don't push him. The fact that those movies exist is evidence that they do.

P.S. Silly me, I forgot to mention Smallville, which was a hit show that ran for 10 years.

Max fleischer cartoons,George reeves, maybe donner movies had been great. Everything with superman has been mediocre with wb and dc.
    Well, a lot of that stuff was made by DC and/or WB.

Yeah! Right. With prep he always smokes everyone, everytime .
    Again, no, he doesn't. Ever read Hiketeia?

They have. But then s would just be a new symbol. And the british conquered almost the entire world and has infiltrated almost country's boundary . An english alphabet is fairly familiar.
    Didn't you just say this a few posts back?

There are people who don't know english around the world.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-24-2020 at 07:36 AM.