Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman Voted as the Most Popular Superhero!

Superman was voted as most popular superhero in a poll at Disneyland!

"A research poll conducted by OnePoll shows that Superman is the most popular superhero in the United States - but Marvel still beats DC overall.

The study, conducted in advance of the opening of the Avengers Campus attraction at Disneyland's California Adventure Park, measured the favorite superheroes, villains, and comic book universes of respondents.

Superman was voted the most popular superhero in the country, followed by Spider-Man, Batman, Captain America, and Iron Man, in that order. Marvel was voted as the most popular superhero universe over DC, with almost twice as many respondents preferring Marvel."

Lex was also voted one of the top supervillains ever.

Now imagine if WB handled Superman like it should.. He'd be huge.

Link: https://www.newsarama.com/49393-supe...-beats-dc.html

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Pretty neat. I find it more interesting that the most desired power is invisibility, haha, followed by healing (topical) and time travel. Give him back his time travel powers!
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This is somewhat promising. This is'nt the comic book reading audience. So, superman still is sought after even after all the mismanagement. The character can probably convert the popularity, cultural impact into sales numbers if he hits that homerun, he so desperately needs.

While I’d love to believe this poll we all know that Superman isn’t even the most popular character in his own universe let alone all of comicdom.

Astonishing Member

I'm genuinely happy about this but also not shocked. It denotes a division between comic book reading fans to the general public fans of these comic book characters and also why it's so disappointing WB continues to drop the ball where his movies are concerned. They could be making a ton of money off the character by putting forth a good product, actually making the effort to sell the character to the public that's clearly hungry for him. It's not about making Superman into some copy of another hero but letting him stand on his own, confident in who and what he is, what he represents, not a caricature or a homage/retread of the '78 film, just be an honest depiction of Superman as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While I’d love to believe this poll we all know that Superman isn’t even the most popular character in his own universe let alone all of comicdom.
    Comicdom isn't the only demographics out there. This is'nt a poll conducted on comicbook audiences, i believe. Its a general one and most heroes on the list are movie characters. Batman might be most sold character. Superman still has a better impact as cultural figure i believe.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-13-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Comicdom isn't the only demographics out there. This is'nt a poll conducted on comicbook audiences, i believe. Its a general one and most heroes on the list are movie characters. Batman might be most sold character. Superman still has a better impact as cultural figure i believe.
    I believe this is true regardless of actual comic book sales. If you look at half of those Marvel heroes, you can't deny the movies raised their profile with the GA, most of which never have nor ever will open a comic book a day in their lives. Batman and Spider-Man are the only ones that have truly enjoyed the popularity on both fronts more consistently than any other character(s).

Fantastic Member

I'm happy to hear that!! I'm also kind of surprised!! Most movies and Comic books seem to only want to promote heroes that are drunks, jump from bed to bed, dark and nasty heroes or that are straight out criminals!! It's nice to see a hero that's a family man and that has a moral code!! Be voted most popular superhero!
    Last edited by lotchj; 03-13-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    It's nice to see a hero that's a family man and that has a moral code!! Be voted most popular superhero!
    Most people polled don't read comics and thus have never heard of Jon - thus they don't consider Superman to be a family man.

Extraordinary Member

The thing that actually upsets me about this list is that Wonder Woman wasn't in the top 5 and that she's only one of two women on the list. Also, a bit surprised Thor didn't even make it on the list.

The good news is that people still have a need for Superman. Now if only we could get the real Superman adapted in a movie and not that brooding mess we got in Man of Steel, he would take off even more. It also shows that people still have a love and reverence for DC's characters even after all the mismanagement of their film universe (although, they did hit home runs with Wonder Woman and Joker). Now, imagine if DC actually had a cinematic universe that was as popular as the MCU, where people are hyped for the next Superman movie and the Flash is guaranteed to be a billion-dollar box office hit. And not only that, but also films for Green Arrow, the Legion of Superheroes, Firestorm, and even the Question are not only greenlit but well into production. That's what I want for them.

Pretty sure they're mostly considered equals in terms of cultural impact. They're both pop culture icons who have a beneficial impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Most people polled don't read comics and thus have never heard of Jon - thus they don't consider Superman to be a family man.
    Well, he still has a son, regardless. I doubt that fact would take away from his popularity.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-13-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh how I envy them. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Of course more will get a crash course in the concept with the Kent Family Matters show.

Jokes aside I am glad there is at least some portion out that that still holds the character in high regard.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-13-2020 at 08:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

I think if people were aware of Jon's existence, they'd probably love him.

Superman won a poll conducted in Disneyland? That's like winning game 7 on the road.

..............but why? How??? I don’t think any of Clark’s recent mainstream content has been anywhere near popular, successful or frankly good enough to warrant such popularity while so many other characters are getting exposure in much more successful and acclaimed stuff.

Uh...But hey, he’s my favorite character so I’m not gonna complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Pretty sure they're mostly considered equals in terms of cultural impact. They're both pop culture icons who have a beneficial impact.
    Tell that to the old folks back in my home town who still know who superman is, but doesn't have a clue about what a batman is. Superman is the most well known often imitated superhero. Period. You can go to remotest villages in the world and still find the s.