Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Most people polled don't read comics and thus have never heard of Jon - thus they don't consider Superman to be a family man.
    They don't need comics to know that Superman marriage and kid is a likely outcome. People have been egging for lois and clark to end cat/mouse nonsense since 70 atleast.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Tell that to the old folks back in my home town who still know who superman is, but doesn't have a clue about what a batman is. Superman is the most well known often imitated superhero. Period. You can go to remotest villages in the world and still find the s.
    Lol, dude. I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. There's no way that's true. Superman and Batman are both known worldwide. Anyone who knows Superman knows Batman too. They are literally the two most famous superheroes in the world and Batman is just as imitated as Superman. I mean, Moon Knight, Midnighter, Daredevil, Nighthawk, Shadowhawk, The Confessor, The Fixer, Black Fox, Nemesis, Big Daddy, and even Green Arrow all took major inspiration from Batman. That doesn't take away from Superman at all. But, seriously, anyone who doesn't know who Batman is either a newborn or has been living under a rock since 1939.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-13-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Lol, dude. I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. There's no way that's true. Superman and Batman are both known worldwide. Anyone who knows Superman knows Batman too. They are literally the two most famous superheroes in the world and Batman is just as imitated as Superman. I mean, Moon Knight, Midnighter, Daredevil, Nighthawk, Shadowhawk, The Confessor, The Fixer, Black Fox, Nemesis, Big Daddy, and even Green Arrow all took major inspiration from Batman. That doesn't take away from Superman at all. But, seriously, anyone who doesn't know who Batman is either a newborn or has been living under a rock since 1939.
    It isn't bs. The world is a big place. Superman and batman are still small with superman being bigger. The folks i mentioned have no idea about Superheroes in general. They have had exposure to the defenders of the earth more than batman and superman. You know phantom, mandrake,flash Gordon.. Etc. That was because of me showing it to them. They instantly recognised superman and the s as "the guy wearing underpants outside",though.

That's all from just American comics industry. Can you provide non American examples? I can provide tons goku, astroboy, allmight, one punch man, Anpanman, Shakthimaan, nagraj.. Etc these are just from asia. How many bat inspired characters do we have? Not much, if any. Even now a truly good superman would work better in the asian market like china, japan, india.. Etc than batman.
    Not mention superman inspired batman and is the reason superheros genre came to the the limelight. Superman put the super in superheroes.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It isn't bs. The world is a big place. Superman and batman are still small with superman being bigger. The folks i mentioned have no idea about Superheroes in general. They have had exposure to the defenders of the earth more than batman and superman. You know phantom, mandrake,flash Gordon.. Etc. That was because of me showing it to them. They instantly recognised superman and the s as "the guy wearing underpants outside",though.

That's all from just American comics industry. Can you provide non American examples? I can provide tons goku, astroboy, allmight, one punch man, Anpanman, Shakthimaan, nagraj.. Etc these are just from asia. How many bat inspired characters do we have? Not much, if any. Even now a truly good superman would work better in the asian market like china, japan, india.. Etc than batman.
    Dude, come on. They're not small. Batman is one of the largest media franchises in the world.

Also, Hei from Darker than Black? Knuckleduster fro My Hero Academia? Heck, Roger Smith from The Big O basically answers the question: what if Batman had a mecha? So, yes, there are a lot of anime and manga characters based on Batman, not to mention that there are characters from other cultures based on him plus all of the foreign adaptations of Batman himself. Batman even had his own manga series. Plus, Batman has had a few animes himself too. He's known the world over, just as much as Superman.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-14-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Dude, come on. Hei from Darker than Black? Knuckleduster fro My Hero Academia? Heck, Roger Smith from The Big O basically answers the question: what if Batman had a mecha? So, yes, there are a lot of anime characters based on Batman, not to mention that there characters from other cultures based on him plus all of the foreign adaptations of Batman himself. Batman even had his own manga series.
    One example from asia market.that's it and that to nowhere near all might's presence . Batman had to be made into a ninja to be sold in japan. What's next batman learn kalaripayattu to be sold in india? The guy is a seen as a tech based hero and liked specifically in that capacity by some Japanese. Superman isn't. Therein lies the biggest failure in understanding by the company. They think the answer to everthing is batman. They decided to sell a batmanga.Superman manga would have done far better with a competent writer. Heck! Wonderwoman would.

Extraordinary Member

One example from asia market.that's it and that to nowhere near all might's presence . Batman had to be made into a ninja to be sold in japan. What's next batman learn kalaripayattu to be sold in india? The guy is a seen as a tech based hero and liked specifically in that capacity by some Japanese. Superman isn't. Therein lies the biggest failure in understanding by the company. They think the answer to everthing is batman. They decided to sell a batmanga.Superman manga would have done far better with a competent writer. Heck! Wonderwoman would.
    1. I counted three examples. At least.

2. Uh, Batman is a master martial artist. So, being a ninja isn't really out-of-character for him. It also just seems like you're trying to move the goalpost here.

3. We're not talking about what DC should have done to sell manga. We're just talking about the fact that, yes, Batman has a manga. Should DC have had Superman and Wonder Woman manga too? Yes. Of course. That would have been amazing.

4. I get it. You prefer Superman. But the point is that saying Batman doesn't have an international presence, including one in East Asian markets, is demonstrably false.

1. I counted three examples. At least.

2. Uh, Batman is a master martial artist. So, being a ninja isn't really out-of-character for him. It also just seems like you're trying to move the goalpost here.

3. We're not talking about what DC should have done to sell manga. We're just talking about the fact that, yes, Batman has a manga. Should DC have had Superman and Wonder Woman manga too? Yes. Of course. That would have been amazing.

4. I get it. You prefer Superman. But the point is that saying Batman doesn't have an international presence, including one in East Asian markets, is demonstrably false.
    1.two was an actual influence(i didn't see roger smith. So sorry about that). Last one was pushed by the company and the character itself was used. That still nowhere near good enough as superman has had in india, china, Japan.. Etc.

2.Ninja's train for life. It isn't something you become from 5 or 10 years of life. Not to mention baby's are fallen into that environment. No i am not, they had to make the character adapt to the culture. With Superman that isn't much needed. You can go to india, china or egypt. Strongmen are available everywhere and are the same,do the same.

3.batman manga from what i know didn't do that well. I mean, i haven't heard much from it, is what i am saying. I am an avid reader always out for new stuff. Superman or wonderwoman manga could have brought more interest.

4.this isn't about my preference. Superman has cultural influence around the world as an entity. Batman is just a superhero.Superman and max fleischer influenced the likes hayao miyazaki and his movies.He is even known in the rural parts of the world striken by poverty. Batman isn't.superman symbol is second only to the Christian cross in awareness. There is no comparison between batman and superman.

Bare in mind, i am not saying that means money. Batman sells. But superman is a living breathing myth.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Retired

Since it's Disneyland, it makes sense. Because that's a place for families who like a happy, friendly atmosphere. Now if it was a poll of the general population, I'd expect Batman to top Superman. Not that I'm complaining. Superman is my guy.

What Superman also has going for him is that his fame spread throughout the world much earlier than Batman, even though their first publication is only separated by a year. Superman merchandise penetrated the world market first. That means every generation has grown up with him.

And the other thing is he's Super-. If you ask a question about super-heroes, the word is already implanted in the poll question. People being lazy are likely to think of what's super. Superman is the obvious answer. Some people might not even know if Batman is a super-hero. After all these years, I don't know if he is myself. Superman is clearly a super-hero, it's in his name, he's got the T-shirt.

Superman is

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Superman won a poll conducted in Disneyland? That's like winning game 7 on the road.
    In Disneyland. On a Avengers campus opening.

Astonishing Member

Superman is at least the most known super hero of the world. Even my grand grand ma knew who superman was, but she didn't know spider-man. Superman is more than the comic book figure, its a figure of speech, like Rambo (if someone destroys something or is very rude to stuff) or He-Man for a strong guy.

Most populaire? Is it the same as well known? I would say Spider-MAn is the most beloved hero. Everyone at least likes Spider-MAn.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Superman is

Hoorah.

I'm not surprised. A few years back he was still the second more well known fictional character on earth, second only to The Mouse. Batman *was* on that list, several spots further down.

Batman sells more merchandise and the Avengers have more popular movies, but Superman has been a part of the global conversation for most of his eighty+ year history. There are people in North Korea who have no idea what a superhero is, but know Superman. And I mean that literally; Diane Sawyer did a thing there a while back.

Now, you give it a few more decades of WB screwing the character up, and maybe this starts to change. But it takes a lot more than some good box office to shift perceptions that are as hard baked into global culture as Superman is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Superman is

Exactly. I love the sweet irony. Superman beats Spidey, Captain America and Iron Man (who all had huge blockbuster movies) in their own home..
    Just goes to show how iconic and still beloved Superman is for many people. This is a general audience who likes superheroes in general, not hardcore online fans like us. They still think Superman is cooler than those guys. I'm not surprised, to be honest. I always felt general movie goers are quite different to comicbook readers.

I also love to see Aquaman and Wonder Woman higher in the list than Captain Marvel and Black Panther. Aquaman did that with just one movie after so much ridicule. Surprised to not see The Flash higher with his popular show. Or Supergirl (nah lol)
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hoorah.

I'm not surprised. A few years back he was still the second more well known fictional character on earth, second only to The Mouse. Batman *was* on that list, several spots further down.

Batman sells more merchandise and the Avengers have more popular movies, but Superman has been a part of the global conversation for most of his eighty+ year history. There are people in North Korea who have no idea what a superhero is, but know Superman. And I mean that literally; Diane Sawyer did a thing there a while back.

Now, you give it a few more decades of WB screwing the character up, and maybe this starts to change. But it takes a lot more than some good box office to shift perceptions that are as hard baked into global culture as Superman is.
    I mean, mickey mouse doesn't have movies either. Disney treats the character as mascot for a reason. Superman could seriously be WB's mascot along with bugs. But, nope they don't have the sense for that. They just look at the sales caused by their own management and decide otherwise . Superman does mean something more than a rich guy with a few toys. @bold is exactly what i am talking about.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Superman is just a bigger idea than Batman. He means so much more. He is a global superhero who cares about everybody. Anyone can be like Superman. Not everybody can be Batman, unless you are filthy rich.

I also think the more and better products a company unleashes to the world, the more it sells. WB make more Batman movies, videogames, etc.. so he has more products for people to buy. Same with Spider-Man. Spidey is a family superhero who appeals a lot to kids because he's young and his movies have lots of humor, so no surprised kids love him.

For me Superman is similar to Spidey and Wonder Woman, they belong to the whole family not just teens and up. WB and DC are just very bad at their jobs, otherwise, the Justice League would be a BIG deal years ago. Sadly, we are stuck with them. They thought, "oh, people love Batman movies. Let's make the others brooding and dark like him." How wrong they are/were.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-14-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

1.two was an actual influence(i didn't see roger smith. So sorry about that). Last one was pushed by the company and the character itself was used. That still nowhere near good enough as superman has had in india, china, Japan.. Etc.
    From CBR:

Rather than the messy-haired Spike Spigel, The Big O's cool-as-ice star is the debonair Roger Smith. He's dark-haired and dark-suited; he comes with his own butler -- Norman Burg -- and he drives a flashy, black sedan. He is anime's answer to Bruce Wayne if that wasn't apparent from the description alone, and like Bruce Wayne's crime-fighting alter ego, Roger provides a "much-needed job here in the City of Amnesia" as a Negotiator -- a middle-man between the police and organized crime. Sunrise, the studio behind The Big O, was one of many that worked on Batman: The Animated Series, so the strong resemblances in characterization and visual style are deliberate tributes.
    So, yeah...

2.Ninja's train for life. It isn't something you become from 5 or 10 years of life. Not to mention baby's are fallen into that environment. No i am not, they had to make the character adapt to the culture. With Superman that isn't much needed. You can go to india, china or egypt. Strongmen are available everywhere and are the same,do the same.
    And what exactly is Bruce known for? Immersing himself and training extensively training in all forms of martial arts. He's trained in ninjutsu. That's part of his character description. And yes, Superman has had to be adapted before. Many times. The reason that these characters have been around for so long is because of their adaptability.

3.batman manga from what i know didn't do that well. I mean, i haven't heard much from it, is what i am saying. I am an avid reader always out for new stuff. Superman or wonderwoman manga could have brought more interest.
    Well, the manga is from the 60s when the Adam West Batman series was at the height of its popularity. And there's no evidence that a Superman or Wonder Woman manga would have done any better. Although, again, it would have been great to see them.

4.this isn't about my preference. Superman has cultural influence around the world as an entity. Batman is just a superhero.Superman and max fleischer influenced the likes hayao miyazaki and his movies.He is even known in the rural parts of the world striken by poverty. Batman isn't.superman symbol is second only to the Christian cross in awareness. There is no comparison between batman and superman.

Bare in mind, i am not saying that means money. Batman sells. But superman is a living breathing myth.
    And I'm telling you, so is Batman. You may not like that fact but its a fact. Go anywhere in the world and show people the Bat-symbol and they will automatically say, Batman. Batman is easily as well known as Superman and considered a character of mythological proportions. How many fictional characters are now given origins akin to Batman's? Countless. They are the two icons of the superhero genre. Again, I'm sorry you don't like that fact, but its a fact.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-14-2020 at 12:28 PM.