Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I can’t imagine a Spider-book #1 with JSC and Artgerm variants selling below 100k , even if it’s a mini.
    Ha Told ya it won`t be more then 70k

Bad sales for comics overall.

That feeling when book is in top 5 with only 60k.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 03-17-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Bad sales for comics overall.

That feeling when book is in top 5 with only 60k.
    While people can look at what they want and compare what they want and cheer what they want, just a quick look at those numbers shows some troubling signs: dollar amounts being bumped up by books above the 'normal' cover price of $3.99 (way more than usual number of higher priced books) and units made to look higher by Marvel doing crazy amounts of overshipping on several titles.

Maybe it is just a changing market.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    1 1 1 Wolverine 1 $7.99 02/19/20 Marvel 190,568
    2 2 3 X-Men 6 $3.99 02/12/20 Marvel 92,287
    3 3 2 X-Men 7 $4.99 02/26/20 Marvel 76,691
    5 8 5 Giant Size X-Men Jean Grey & Emma Frost 1 $4.99 02/26/20 Marvel 63,077

9 11 7 X-Men Fantastic Four 1 $4.99 02/05/20 Marvel 56,443
    16 17 25 X-Men Fantastic Four 2 $3.99 02/26/20 Marvel 48,811
    19 22 31 X-Force 7 $3.99 02/12/20 Marvel 42,808

26 30 33 X-Force 8 $3.99 02/26/20 Marvel 41,153
    27 31 34 New Mutants 7 $3.99 02/19/20 Marvel 40,427
    29 32 35 Excalibur 7 $3.99 02/12/20 Marvel 40,131
    31 35 36 New Mutants 8 $3.99 02/26/20 Marvel 39,251
    32 36 37 Marauders 7 $3.99 02/05/20 Marvel 38,799
    35 39 38 Marauders 8 $3.99 02/19/20 Marvel 37,413

Very proud of X-force and I'm surprised how no one is talking about how it placed a lot better than many of its peers during two months when 95% of the cast were missing. I personally didn't purchase issue 8, but it's really nice to know how much readers appreciate that book as well as Percy as a writer. X-force is consistently imo the stand out of the DOX books!!

EDIT-

For all the ambivalence Excalibur gets on these boards and praise for virtually anything which occurs in Marauders I'm surprised to see it place so low...
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-17-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Very proud of X-force and I'm surprised how no one is talking about how it placed a lot better than many of its peers during two months when 95% of the cast were missing. I personally didn't purchase issue 8, but it's really nice to know how much readers appreciate that book as well as Percy as a writer. X-force is consistently imo the stand out of the DOX books!!

EDIT-

For all the ambivalence Excalibur gets on these boards and praise for virtually anything which occurs in Marauders I'm surprised to see it place so low...
    the difference is very small, books are selling very close to each other

I would be happy if X-Force will stay stable at 40 k. It deserves better sales then other books.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    the difference is very small, books are selling very close to each other

Very true, but at least in the case of X-force it dedicated two whole issues to one character which could have made readers not purchase if they weren't already a fan. I know I purchased issue 7 as I mentioned but didn't purchase issue 8, still sales were stable given most the cast weren't used.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It's a book named Marauders, no one, thought it was going to be a high-seller with that title; no one except, of course, Marvel.

Wonder how Marauders would be doing if it were named Pryde of the X-Men.

Oversaturation. There are alot of X-books. We have FA ending but we have 4 books in Wave 4 to take its place (Wolverine, Cable, Hellions, X-Factor), not to mention the oneshots (GS) and minis (FF). It doesnt help that there isnt any consistency in the release schedule as sometimes they double ship and sometimes they dont. Its not easy to keep up with and Marvel hasnt made it so for the reader. I almost felt like the 90s had more structure. This actually reminds me of how oversaturated the books were in the Utopia era

Extraordinary Member

Very true, but at least in the case of X-force it dedicated two whole issues to one character which could have made readers not purchase if they weren't already a fan. I know I purchased issue 7 as I mentioned but didn't purchase issue 8, still sales were stable given most the cast weren't used.
    These are units purchased by retailers with little info on what is actually in the story. We have no idea how well these sold (and even if we did we really would not know exactly what could have influnced sales).

Even if we knew how many books sold through to customers, customers also typically buy the book without knowing what is in the issue. If there was a poor reception that could impact future orders, not ones already made.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

With respect to Marauders' numbers and the distribution numbers of books I read in general...I'm really not bothered.
    I've never cared that my favourite book is in the top five or that 500 thousand other people are reading it...or not.

I read and buy what I like and enjoy. Once it's being published I'm there for them. I'll support.
    Once they're no longer being published...for whatever reason...I say goodbye and move on.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

They are based on pre-orders, not actual readers buying a book

BANNED

Comics are too expensive. 5 dollars for a 5-minute read isn't good bang for the buck unless you just absolutely have to have content about these characters. The number of people that just have to have that content and are willing to pay $5 for it when it can be sourced in other ways is going to continue to get smaller.

I think the books are of nice quality as a whole, but really we need more tentpole stories. Every issue should knock the socks off. The creators need to impress every time. Even then, even if the stories are incredibly engrossing every month, comics honestly still wont make enough noise to reverse the overall trend downward, but taking issues off certainly doesn't help.

Every book needs to be an event unto it itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I would be happy if X-Force will stay stable at 40 k. It deserves better sales then other books.
    Agreed.

These sales numbers represent sales to comic shops as much as three months and at least a couple weeks before anyone has read the issue.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 03-17-2020 at 09:13 PM.