Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's just entirely different set of circumstances. The only thing comparable about them is the actual having of a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But its a LOT less hackneyed is my point. Baby's born, very short time skip, not bouts of 10 then 7, the kid won't dominate, we'll actually get to see Arthur and Mera grow as parents, the obvious and desired focus since he's the star and she's the supporting star. Further there's a lot going on with Arthur and Mera in their independent relationship, ideally ensuring things won't go stale there either. Right off the bat its starting off in a majorly superior way. Its more organic, and its not obstrusive. Two things the Superdad concept has failed at from the jump. Its still jarring, 4 years later, and that's due to its hackneyed, incredibly messy approach. You can tell the motivations here are the right ones.
    Well, what happened with Superman wouldn't have been hackneyed if, you know, Mr. Dan "marriage equals character-death" Didio didn't force a rushed and controversial reboot down our throats. But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, what happened with Superman wouldn't have been hackneyed if, you know, Mr. Dan "marriage equals character-death" Didio didn't force a rushed and controversial reboot down our throats. But I digress...
    With Didio gone, can Arthur and Mera get married now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    There's no indication it couldn't or wouldn't have been just as hackneyed without the reboot. Because while you've posited this blame before, it still makes no sense. Its not like they were ever keen on giving L&C a child previously but the reboot derailed those plans. They had no intentions of giving the couple a baby from the earliest days of the marriage. It was always off the table (this even before Didio). That destroys the notion that they the reboot ruined any progression they might have desired in that area because it was always an edict to never be able to occur. After the reboot their minds changed. My argument is that motivation was Damian and explicitly Super Sons. But either way whatever their motivation, had the reboot never happened and they likewise changed their minds, who says that they wouldn't have simply had the same idea? The reboot and its subsequent end only gave them one opening to accommodate their idea. It didn't hamper an earlier idea they had to then alter. So the reboot had zero to do with it.

There is no mitigating factors for Aquaman, to the storyline's immense benefit in terms of fluidity, and a confusion free linear tale. The motivation was simply to give Arthur and Mera a baby and that's what they did. The baby didn't have to be aged to suit another character and thus the entire Aquaman history turned on its head to make it fit.

Edit: Made some pretty big edits, switched things around a lot. So if I'm quoted and the syntax is way different, my apologies, but the main thought remains the same.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-15-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm late to the party. Did anyone talk about how Generations issue 2 is no longer part of the solicits? Wonder if this is them walking back Didio's plans.

https://www.newsarama.com/49420-dc-s...citations.html
    Assassinate Putin!

Very well could be. I imagine its complete chaos right now and no one really knows what's what from day to day. Heck I wouldn't even count what's made it to print already as golden right now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Very well could be. I imagine its complete chaos right now and no one really knows what's what from day to day. Heck I wouldn't even count what's made it to print already as golden right now.
    According to BC, artists were literally being told to stop drawing on certain projects. This might be one of them. Someone earlier in the thread said this has a very 2010 feel to it. I agree. I wonder if WW will even still be the "first" super-hero come next year.
    Assassinate Putin!

There's no indication it couldn't or wouldn't have been just as hackneyed without the reboot. Because while you've posited this blame before, it still makes no sense. Its not like they were ever keen on giving L&C a child previously but the reboot derailed those plans. They had no intentions of giving the couple a baby from the earliest days of the marriage. It was always off the table (this even before Didio). That destroys the notion that they the reboot ruined any progression they might have desired in that area because it was always an edict to never be able to occur. After the reboot their minds changed. My argument is that motivation was Damian and explicitly Super Sons. But either way whatever their motivation, had the reboot never happened and they likewise changed their minds, who says that they wouldn't have simply had the same idea? The reboot and its subsequent end only gave them one opening to accommodate their idea. It didn't hamper an earlier idea they had to then alter. So the reboot had zero to do with it.

There is no mitigating factors for Aquaman, to the storyline's immense benefit in terms of fluidity, and a confusion free linear tale. The motivation was simply to give Arthur and Mera a baby and that's what they did. The baby didn't have to be aged to suit another character and thus the entire Aquaman history turned on its head to make it fit.

Edit: Made some pretty big edits, switched things around a lot. So if I'm quoted and the syntax is way different, my apologies, but the main thought remains the same.
    Storywise I think Chris opened the door for Clark and Lois wanting kids, and that seemed like an obvious endgame for them as a couple. I don't know if the age-up had to do with Damian and more just letting them do more with Jon then as a baby, which is kind of limited.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    According to BC, artists were literally being told to stop drawing on certain projects. This might be one of them. Someone earlier in the thread said this has a very 2010 feel to it. I agree. I wonder if WW will even still be the "first" super-hero come next year.
    Yeah, I mean obviously its canon right now but as Superman fans we know how quick an origin can go. Hell so do Wonder Woman fans themselves. So the idea of a quick exit isn't exactly unheard of. Its not an idea I need or anything, but from a point of view of stability this obviously would be eye-rolling to see changed.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-15-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Storywise I think Chris opened the door for Clark and Lois wanting kids, and that seemed like an obvious endgame for them as a couple. I don't know if the age-up had to do with Damian and more just letting them do more with Jon then as a baby, which is kind of limited.
    I always viewed Chris as DC's way to only give in slightly. Have their cake an eat it to. And to be honest it wasn't as terrible as the vast majority of their have their cake and eat it too ideas. The concept of Clark adopting being an adopted child itself has lots of charm to it in theory. But I never personally saw it as a springboard for them to do away with the then-canon Human/Kryptonian incompatibility. Especially when considering how shortly this in of itself lasted.

And yeah, a baby is definitely limited. But to me would have been way more inviting because the focus would be on Superman and Lois. The guy whose name is emblazoned on the titles (at least symbolically). So that always told me their incentive was not "Clark and Lois as parents". It was "new Superboy to pair with Robin". I'm not saying I can prove that 100% because its not like I have insider quotes, but I think there's evidence to be had in the way it played out. Super Sons was a selling point from the very get go of the initiative. And it DID sell just fine, I'm not taking that away. But in the end it turned Superman's history and his status quo into the ultimate mess. One it created on its own, not to be blamed on other reboots or changes before it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-15-2020 at 07:30 PM.

I always viewed Chris as DC's way to only give in slightly. Have their cake an eat it to. And to be honest it wasn't as terrible as the vast majority of their have their cake and eat it too ideas. The concept of Clark adopting being an adopted child itself has lots of charm to it in theory. But I never personally saw it as a springboard for them to do away with the then-canon Human/Kryptonian incompatibility. Especially when considering how shortly this in of itself lasted.

And yeah, a baby is definitely limited. But to me would have been way more inviting because the focus would be on Superman and Lois. The guy whose name is emblazoned on the titles (at least symbolically). So that always told me their incentive was not "Clark and Lois as parents". It was "new Superboy to pair with Robin". I'm not saying I can prove that 100% because its not like I have insider quotes, but I think there's evidence to be had in the way it played out. Super Sons was a selling point from the very get go of the initiative. And it DID sell just fine, I'm not taking that away. But in the end it turned Superman's history and his status quo into the ultimate mess. One it created on its own, not to be blamed on other reboots or changes before it.
    But I don't think Jon really took away from that focus even when he was more present in stories, at least to me. I don't think it was an either or situation between having two super-powered kid Superheroes from their two major IP's while also getting to explore Superman and Lois as parents.

I don't think Superman's history or status quo have been messed with by it anymore then the Lois marriage has.

Extraordinary Member

Dude. The evidence is the fact of them erasing Lois and Clark's marriage in the first place during the New 52. If they hadn't have done that and then ultimately had to bring back Pre-Flashpoint Superman who had had Jon with Lois during and after Convergence, it wouldn't have been so convoluted. It would have been much simpler if, before they decided to flush Lois and Clark's entire history as a couple down the drain, they had thought "huh, maybe let's just let Lois get pregnant."

That's not evidence of anything, it is in fact completely irrelevant. Erasing the marriage then bringing it back 5 years later hampered absolutely nothing whatsoever when it came to any idea of giving those versions a child. Of course they could have just had Lois get pregnant pre-FP, but they didn't. In all that time there was an edict against it and the New 52 wasn't just around the corner as far back as 1996 when they were married in the first place. They just didn't want it. They deliberately acted against it back then in fact and again, based on that 10+ year stance there's little evidence to suggest that just giving them a baby at some point would have been accepted as a pitch even without the reboot. Something changed, and it wasn't the reboot as it affected very little to the versions they brought back in the scheme of things. As it turned out it was basically like they were on a hiatus. So what changed? The most likely answer is the pitch to make the kid immediately ten and pair him up with Robin. And its that, the auto-10 route, that creates and snowballs the convolution. That's the catalyst and key to all the nonsense: fitting a ten year old into a canon in which he did not exist before. The reboot and then undoing it created no limitations to the possibility of just having Lois get pregnant real-time. They could have easily had a baby after they took their place back in the canon and the history was restored. But then Damian wouldn't have his playmate. The very idea at its base was convoluted of its own independent volition.

In any case if I recall correctly we've gone through this same dance before, and it'll just end up the same so it might as well end now for the sake of thread. Agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-16-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

With Didio gone, can Arthur and Mera get married now?
    What if 5G was just people (the ones with romantic partners) getting married and having kids. Like all the Satellite era League.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    OMG SNOWFLAME IS FINALLY BACK AFTER 32 YEARS!!!

HIS LEGEND MUST SPREAD FAR AND WIDE ONCE MORE.

Seriously they better have read his one issue 1000 times before writing him, gotta get those crazy speeches about Cocaine right or else it just isn't Snowflame!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    No JSA, no Power Girl, what are they waiting for? Plenty of time for relentlessly bleak Tom King stuff, but nothing for those characters.
    I dont buy monthly floppies but if Power Girl shows up I will become a monthly buyer and if it's an awesome run if buy a soft Tpb.