Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I am just going to sum up my thoughts on the matter (and copy and paste bits of some stuff i posted on Bleeding Cool the other day cus I am lazy)

Basically, I don't think they should stop digital distribution because of this, i think shutting digital down in some misguided attempt to protect comic shops would cause more harm than keeping that line open. Shutting digital down and in effect suspending all books entirely puts creatives out of work, and in the long run, it could help people just walk away from comics entirely and never come back, if there is no alternative avenue to purchase them, because comics is a very habit based hobby. Frankly, I am tired of people acting like it is the publishers primary responsibility to keep comic shops afloat, especially when the retailers are acting like entitled asses. I get that under normal circumstances, that is the primary distribution channel, and so the publishers try to placate them. But cancelling digital, and putting all the creatives etc. out of work for however long this lasts, and denying fans, a lot of whom are already buying digitally, (I switched to digital years ago) is only ensuring that more people are hurt in this.
    How is it misguided to protect the golden goose that repeatedly lays the reason you can exist as a business? We would not have a comic book industry at all if it were not for the LCBS direct market.

As far as I've read, neither Marvel or DC have fired any creatives. For DC, arguably, this could be a great opportunity to get caught up on late books, and get their new creative direction ironed out and staffed. Valiant is the only publisher I've read that has told creators to stop working.

That said, I'm not sure why you think we should only be concerned for the creators PERHAPS losing their jobs, when there are far more retail comic book workers, Diamond workers, printers, and freight drivers who ARE losing their job right now, or are facing exposure to Covid-19.

As far as denying fans, who I think are the most entitled of this group cause they are losing nothing but the ability to be instantly gratified -- I really don't have much sympathy. Not to be a gatekeeper, but if you are fan, you will be back when the comics start coming out again.

I know digital is not the primary market, but the main reason digital isn't doing as well as it could be is because retailers pitch hissy fits whenever the publishers try to do anything like lowering prices etc. and I am tired of it. I'm not saying we should force the entire market to digital, if you want to stick with print, fine. But that doesn't mean we have to stand by and let the retailers actively impede digital distribution. If they maintain their position largely because they place roadblocks in the path of digital, what does that really say? It's time for things to evolve.
    It says that the publishers want to have their cake and eat it too.

Digital will not replace the LCBS, because digital can't offer the captive market, with pre-orders and 100% sell through, that LCBS offer.

What you seem to be missing, is that YOU and other comic fans are not Marvel's market. It's the LCBS that are Marvel's market. It's the LCBS that care what comic fans want, because fans are the LCBS' market. Once Marvel sells to the LCBS, they could care less if the stores actually sell their product. They've already made their money. When you buy 20,000 - 200,000+ digital copies of every title the big two publish, year in and year out, then you might have a say equal to the LCBS.

There is a perfectly good distribution channel that can remain functional and keep the comics flowing during the pandemic, why not use it? Why do we have to capitulate to the retailers demands, and damage the livelihoods of the creatives, and inconvenience readers? Does it suck for the shops affected? sure. Might some of them close? it's possible. But that goes for a lot of businesses right now, I don't think barring digital distribution would change that outcome very much, I think the fans and the talent deserve consideration as well, and I think it's past time that we stopped treating the physical retailers like they are all that matters, and impeding digital distribution in their favor. What matters is that the publishers create comics, and get them into readers hands, how shouldn't really matter. Comic shops will not go away entirely, if vinyl records are still being made today, I think it's a safe bet that comics will not vanish. They may become fewer in number, they may have to devote themselves more towards trades and merch, but they'll still be around. But I have been digital only for years, why should i be penalized because of the physical side of things?
    Exactly what horrible penalities are you suffering for not being able to read new comics? Have you lost your life savings? Have you lost your job? Have you had to fire people working for you? Are you risking getting sick and taking the sickness home to your family just to keep your job / store open?

Retailers disagree with your assessment of their continued survival if they are undercut by digital only new books.

Physical stores DO matter more than digital distribution because they make up most of the sales for comic publishers. Again, physical store are the publishers market, not fans. If you are all that concerned for the creators of these comics, then why are you asking for 90% of their sales to disappear? Do you really think creators are going to be paid the same rates, if comic sales drop off the cliff for good with the destruction of their chief market?

And if you think the publishers are the ones capitulating to LCBS demands, you should actually go talk to an owner. Or read Brian Hibbs articles -- they are online. The hoops publishers make LCBS jump through to order just one weeks comics, all for product which is non-returnable -- are ridiculous. No one else in publishing retail has do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You mean "still available on the digital market" - the direct market IS the stores.

And Raye's right. The primary responsibility of publishers isn't to keep shops afloat, it's to keep their own staff in work, to keep themselves afloat. If the shops have to lose out, tough luck. Employees and freelance creators take priority.
    Since the shops ARE who these publishers sell their comics to, it is in the best interest of the publishers NOT to sabotage them and make them go out of business. It's pretty hard to keep yourself afloat and have employees, when there's no comparable place to sell what they are making.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Breaking: https://www.newsarama.com/49625-dc-a...ronavirus.html

DC is going with the multi-distribution model and all books that're sent out between March 18th and June 24th will be fully returnable. Expect Marvel to do the same.
    Looks like digital comics are out as normal from DC too.
    https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/28/...day-april-1st/
    Sigh.

Well, there's a reason why Marvel outsells DC.

Then again, it is DC. They will probably change their mind and back track tomorrow.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Publishers. Retailers. Fans. We must become one. One being, one entity. Creation. Distribution. Consumption. I see now. This is our destiny. And I will lead us to it. I accept this fate.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

A podcast interview with prominent retailers
    Pretty much what I expected to hear. Diamond shutting down is a good thing for them.

I loved how that first retailer, the gal, kept making inarticulate noises every time the interviewer brought up digital only releases during the crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So...does that mean physical comics will be back out sooner rather than later?
    At this point, it's anyone's guess.

Though, I'm betting alot will depend on the locally enforced shutdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Publishers. Retailers. Fans. We must become one. One being, one entity. Creation. Distribution. Consumption. I see now. This is our destiny. And I will lead us to it. I accept this fate.
    LOL!

I await your pronouncements and leadership... especially if they lead to less expensive comics. ;p

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

While you isolated, the world changed.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I’m fully expecting Marvel to do the same, if no other reason than because capitalism. What are the odds that they’re gonna see their number one competitor trying to make some profit during this time while they don’t?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So...does that mean physical comics will be back out sooner rather than later?
    At least from the Big Two, possibly. “Multi-distribution model” sounds like they’re gonna try something other than Diamond for physical comics. It’s going to be interesting to see what they come up with, and the effect this will have on comics going forward. We could be facing the fall of Diamond as a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I’m fully expecting Marvel to do the same, if no other reason than because capitalism. What are the odds that they’re gonna see their number one competitor trying to make some profit during this time while they don’t?

At least from the Big Two, possibly. “Multi-distribution model” sounds like they’re gonna try something other than Diamond for physical comics. It’s going to be interesting to see what they come up with, and the effect this will have on comics going forward. We could be facing the fall of Diamond as a monopoly.
    That would damn sure not be a bad thing.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Direct Market Instrumentality begins now.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.15.54 PM.jpg

so its been revealed Marvel and DC will go onward business as usual with digital releases this week. so what does that mean for the future of print? when this is all over can us LCS owners expect them to dump weeks upon weeks of backlog on us all at once to "catch up"

And now the countdown until Marvel also announces this.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    so its been revealed Marvel and DC will go onward business as usual with digital releases this week. so what does that mean for the future of print? when this is all over can us LCS owners expect them to dump weeks upon weeks of backlog on us all at once to "catch up"
    Where did you see the news about Marvel? I haven't seen anything but speculation.

And as LCBS owner, do you expect your returning customers to buy those books from you, instead going digital or mail ordering from stores that are open?
    Last edited by Reviresco; 03-29-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Where did you see the news about Marvel? I haven't seen anything but speculation.

And as LCBS owner, do you expect your returning customers to buy those books from you, instead going digital or mail ordering from stores that are open?
    https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/29/...on-comixology/

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    That's not an announcement from Marvel. That's Bleeding Cool just reporting what Comixology has listed. According to Newsarama, Marvel is NOT going to digitally release Doctor Aphra on Wednesday and said the Comixology list wasn't accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama
    According to a source at Marvel , the solicited April 1 Doctor Aphra #1 will not be released April 1 digitally or in print, despite Lucasfilm's post, as well as the now outdated listings on comiXology and Marvel's own digital storefront.
    https://www.newsarama.com/49590-luca...-it-s-not.html

That was on March 26, so things could have changed.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 03-29-2020 at 02:39 PM.