Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    A lot of comic shops are run by hobbyists, not businesspeople.
    I've always thought the idea of making a hobby your main source of income to be a dumb decision you should always have a fallback.

iMan 42s

The issue is that distribution is mostly tied to one source and brick and mortar shops commonly wont do anything about mailing people product. So you fail on two fronts with being unable to provide your primary service and what you have you can't move because you refuse to setup an online shop or god forbid a Facebook page. It's a niche market with already limited traffic but providing the option does wonders for a service.

Like you don't even need to worry about Diamond not shipping, every shop I've ever been to bitches about stock piling up and now is the opportune time to have a sale and move product to keep the lights on. You don't need Diamond for this.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Funny no one is yelling at movie studios who are online releasing movies. Not even movie chains. Because they know they are going to make money again at a later date.
    Movies are not consumed like comics. A movie being released in another format is unlikely to impact future sales. Comics being released as digital exclusives could drag sales down for months or years, as readers drop titles they cannot get complete runs of.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Brian Hibbs of Comix Experience in San Francisco isn't pleased. Says he can't sell other than by pre-order - well, he needs to launch a website then!
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/bria...tion-decision/
    He made it clear he doesn't want to do mail order. That's his funeral. There's only so much the publishers can do if the retailers are not willing to adapt to the times. It's clear some of them just want everyone to sit around and do nothing while everyone just wait for things to go back to the way they were, but that's not a realistic option right now. This crisis has highlighted the flaws of the direct market system, and now's the time for publishers to decide what needs to change. Changing and making some money will trump not changing and not making any money.

Also, I find those threats to undermine DC funny. Like, sure, if you want to boycott 1/2 of the backbone of your own market, go right ahead. DC's not going anywhere anytime soon. They will adapt and survive. Can we say the same about some of those LCS? And if Marvel gets on board with the alternative distribution system... good luck for them boycotting both.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-18-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Amazing Member

DC, Marvel, Image, whomever else isn't to blame for whatever political leaders are doing in different states and its insane to think these companies can just hold off product for... how long? Eventually there has to be a cashflow.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serving Size View Post
    DC, Marvel, Image, whomever else isn't to blame for whatever political leaders are doing in different states and its insane to think these companies can just hold off product for... how long? Eventually there has to be a cashflow.
    Exactly.

The retailers complaining should start planning on how to adjust to what might be a new order of things. I understand the short term frustration (particularly in states with total shutdowns) but standing against any form of progess just because your comics don’t come from Diamond isn’t being reasonable.

If Diamond insists on not working until maybe July or August, then there likely might not be a Diamond come that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    He made it clear he doesn't want to do mail order. That's his funeral. There's only so much the publishers can do if the retailers are not willing to adapt to the times. It's clear some of them just want everyone to sit around and do nothing while everyone just wait for things to go back to the way they were, but that's not a realistic option right now. This crisis has highlighted the flaws of the direct market system, and now's the time for publishers to decide what needs to change. Changing and making some money will trump not changing and not making any money.

Also, I find those threats to undermine DC funny. Like, sure, if you want to boycott 1/2 of the backbone of your own market, go right ahead. DC's not going anywhere anytime soon. They will adapt and survive. Can we say the same about some of those LCS? And if Marvel gets on board with the alternative distribution system... good luck for them boycotting both.
    I have some sympathy for the LCS owners, but, yeahh. The Direct Market was barely working as it was. Even before the pandemic, being entirely focused on foot traffic was a losing tactic.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/how-comic...moves-forward/

Hibbs actually does make some really solid points here, especially regarding the viability of Marvel and DC without the Direct Market, but

DC and Marvel could actually take six weeks (or more) “off” to plan, and retool, and refigure their offerings and how and what and where and why they publish comics. They could eliminate late-shipping and mis-solicited comics. They could build marketing plans that actually capitalized on the local passions of local DM retailers, and to reach out and work with us to structure and grow our audiences in ways that make everybody stronger in the long run.
    This notion that the shrinking size of the direct market could be not just counteracted but reversed by an improved publishing slate is naïve in my eyes. LCS need to adapt to the retail realities of the 21st century. Frankly, it's impressive that LCS haven't been hit harder in by the digital era when they have done nearly nothing to adapt.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

For me physical stores of all kinds need to pivot into "experiences" because there is no reason to go into; unless you need something in that instant.

With 2 hour Amazon Prime and next day shipping stores are donezo.

Comic book stores should have pivoted into "experience" shops long ago. Big and small shops could get creators in to do signings, do movie nights, read alongs for children, LAN parties, art & comic book auctions, instagram photo opportunities, cosplay competitions, and the like.

Why are these things relegated to big Cons? LCS are just leaving money on the table by strictly focusing on the weekly floppy folks; the era of mom & pop shops are over.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    For me physical stores of all kinds need to pivot into "experiences" because there is no reason to go into; unless you need something in that instant.

With 2 hour Amazon Prime and next day shipping stores are donezo.

Comic book stores should have pivoted into "experience" shops long ago. Big and small shops could get creators in to do signings, do movie nights, read alongs for children, LAN parties, art & comic book auctions, instagram photo opportunities, cosplay competitions, and the like.

Why are these things relegated to big Cons? LCS are just leaving money on the table by strictly focusing on the weekly floppy folks; the era of mom & pop shops are over.
    I WISH Amazon offered 2-hour delivery for comics for me. But a lot of shops these days are more "hobby shops" than just comics. Mine for example has almost half the store dedicated to just Lego with at least 1/4t filled with games. Also stuff like signings, celebrity appearances, etc., are relegated to cornerstone shops that can afford them (like Midtown Comics) and aren't located in the middle of nowhere.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I WISH Amazon offered 2-hour delivery for comics for me. But a lot of shops these days are more "hobby shops" than just comics. Mine for example has almost half the store dedicated to just Lego with at least 1/4t filled with games. Also stuff like signings, celebrity appearances, etc., are relegated to cornerstone shops that can afford them (like Midtown Comics) and aren't located in the middle of nowhere.
    True that a lot LCS are now card game hubs or more toy store than comic shop, but this may be a bigger issue overall with the very idea of LCS. Maybe small LCS are gonna go by the wayside and only be niche stores similar to bookstores? I mean bookstores in major cities can't even stay afloat; so a small LCS; I doubt it.

No other comic company has approached midtown other then dc comics it looks like.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/no-p...-distributors/

Mighty Member

How can stores refuse to offer mail order (inventory permitting)?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

DC's new stories for their Giants line just became reprints, because they're being released digital first, immediately!
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...f-dc-essential
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anyone else find the lack of news from Marvek weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Anyone else find the lack of news from Marvek weird?
    The mouse is holding his cards real close on this one....