Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    As a layperson, you do not understand the infinite wonder of being in a house of worship.
    Meh I tried to get the "Local Comic Experience" a couple times wasn't really worth it store owners were a-holes no one seemed interested an even basic communication let alone casual conversation over the books and ultimately I'm just a casual reader, wasn't worth the effort in truth. Now I just usually go to barnes and noble went I want a physical copy.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-12-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Why wouldn't the LCBS treat digital like a competing store? LCBS are only asking for a level playing field. What barriers are between the internet and the industry?

They need to make digital a tool in their arsenal. Every LCS should have a robust website where you can handle pull-lists, make purchases, etc. It's the 21st century, they need to adjust to the reality of business.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That takes the fun out of going to the LCS.
    And pickup/delivery takes the fun out of eating at a restaurant.

If you want new people to start reading comics, you need to get them a way that doesn't require physically meandering in a comic book shop. Even before corona, we were living in an age where people's interest in physically going to stores of any sort has been dropping.

Mighty Member

I have seen ******* comic shop managers.

But, it is not as pervasive as people say.

How are you defining "casual conversation"? I am not a snob about my hobby. But, (to use a different hobby as an example), toy collectors don't want to hear about Pop Vinyl figures.

d those stores have nothing to do with there only being a single distributor, that is due to PUBLISHERS signing exclusive distribution through Diamond. Stores are closing for good, JUST LIKE MILLIONS OF OTHER BUSINESS, because their local governments forced them to close and they have zero income coming in, while still having to pay all their bills.
    ***Namor75 Celebration
    The delivery !model would be an option to save those businesses, if only a temporary measure.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 04-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Overall, seems like a fairly milquetoast plan that doesn't address the issues that coronavirus has actually exposed.
    When I see them seriously suggesting that they need to delay digital releases after this, it just says to me they don't have a clear idea of what actually needs to change or what wasn't working in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

If you want new people to start reading comics, you need to get them a way that doesn't require physically meandering in a comic book shop. Even before corona, we were living in an age where people's interest in physically going to stores of any sort has been dropping.
    Yup. And while anecdotal, I definitely know people who have told me they prefer digital because of the reputation comic shops seem to have. Unfortunately Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons seems to be the general perception a lot of people have about the comic shop environment.
    Last edited by Holt; 04-12-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Empyre was already due to double ship, so doubling up on it would turn it into a weekly, leaving no room for the tie-ins!

Also, plot twist! Back to normal next month?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/new-...ooner-mid-may/
    yes i wonder if there going to do all the comics from april 1st to may in one stop

https://2000ad.com/news/cor-buster-e...n-waiting-for/
    Now, we’ll end with a simple one… What do you think is the way forward for kids comics?

JF: Obviously, with any creative enterprise, there will be some missteps, and not everyone is going to like everything that is being published, but the ongoing success of 2000AD, Beano and The Phoenix shows it is possible to make a success of the newsstand with some determination and ingenuity, for all the barriers in place courtesy and retailer idiosyncrasies and awkwardness.

Look at sales of Beano – they’ve come back from the brink and are around 48,000 a week, on average, with a huge element of subscriptions in that figure that was almost zero a few years ago. There’s still demand for comics; comic creators aplenty will tell you how much schoolchildren enjoy creating them when they do workshops, for example. Comics are hugely important for reluctant readers, too. Those that say comics aren’t for “media savvy” kids are, in my book, simply wrong.

Obviously, we don’t yet know how the Coronavirus Pandemic is going to play out and the impact it may have on the retailer environment. Worryingly, we do know that there will be comic shops that sadly will not survive this, unless their customers stay loyal and return to them. Goodness only knows what will happen to WHSmith. But local corner shops are benefitting from what’s happening, and hopefully will be even keener to offer a larger range of comics and magazines in future, when in recent years they have been stymied from ordering them for their customers by some distributors, which is utterly bonkers; and perhaps supermarkets will expand their range, although some already carry a huge range of titles.

Rebellion has been building its 2000AD brand in general, and the Treasury of British Comics, and it’s amazing just what a footprint they have achieved with, I assume, a small but dedicated marketing team and a budget in comparison with, for example, game companies, who in normal times don’t think twice about writing a cheque for £20,000 to boost the coffers of an event, seeing it as small change in the building of brand.

Comics publishing, like other forms of publishing, is a commercial enterprise. You pitch to the biggest potential audience. That is not a few fans in relatively small social media groups, simply because the algorithms of those platforms appear to give them a louder voice. You have to have your own vision; by all means listen and appreciate, but make your own creative choices based on facts and figures not misinformed conjecture.

If comics weren’t a vibrant, powerful medium, which has expanded massively over the past twenty years in terms of reach and audience, why are there so many comics projects on Kickstarter? Why are so many determined creative teams publishing their own independent comics anthologies and stories? Because comics are still relevant, that’s why – for all of us.

Well, you did ask!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Meh I tried to get the "Local Comic Experience" a couple times wasn't really worth it store owners were a-holes no one seemed interested an even basic communication let alone casual conversation over the books and ultimately I'm just a casual reader, wasn't worth the effort in truth. Now I just usually go to barnes and noble went I want a physical copy.
    I'm sorry that your local comic shop is garbage and killed a great experience for you.

I've been to a multitude of comics shops in my lifetime. Some are absolutely fantastic and some reinforce the "comic shop guy" stereotype. It's sad, but that's the way it is with any type of local or mom-and-pop business. Some are great and will continue to thrive, and some are run by jerks and deserve to die if they can't withstand this current storm.

But it's not fair to hold all comic shops at fault because your's was crap.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    If their distributor is "Diamond", there will be no inventory in the warehouses and they are not excepting anymore. Partially due to a story about drivers still working even though they are sick and the virus can stay active on surfaces for days. I guess they don't want to take boxes into the warehouse since they are not supplying essential goods.
    Those would definitely be concerns, alright.

BANNED

Further developments : https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/b...e=articleShare

Bob Iger is un-retiring himself to come back to Disney which is, in the words of prominent Disney character Jar-Jar Binks, in "deep do-do" apparently. They are losing $30mn a day, mass layoffs for workers ahead, and their businesses which rested on stuff like resorts, cruises, parks, and ESPN has been totally short-circuited by the lockdown.

Iger is floating a cornball idea of sticking a thermometer in every guest randomly (which is next to useless since the virus can be asymptomatic for days, in fact that's the most notorious thing about it) but basically since so much of their business was based on people coming to them physically, they are poorly positioned during the Pandemic, and in the coming aftermath. Sports is cancelled so ESPN does nothing. Moviegoing is dicey in the future, and Disney Plus has too many stuff in-production for them to generate any new content any time soon.

Will the Pandemic take out Disney? Fun fact -- Walt Disney actually was afflicted with Influenza during the 1918 Pandemic, he survived and recovered. So it could be a perverse book-end if the first major pandemic of the 21st Century is the one that shuts down his company.

As for what these means for Marvel. Well among all the stuff making money for Disney, Marvel Comics is safe-to-say not in the top 10 or 20. Let's just assume that it's not very high on the list. But digital will have to be where they go now right? So maybe Iger will look at content that can be digitized, and that might save the axe from falling on Marvel Comics. On the other hand, Iger is also talking about layoffs (with the word furloughs used as an euphemism for that) so that might mean a smaller, leaner Marvel going forward.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I don't even know what Beano is, but 48k a week sounds pretty damn good. That's around what Marvel's current top ongoing titles other than X-Men sell every month in floppies.

Ever heard of Bananaman and Dennis & Gnasher, which have cartoons? They're Beano characters. It's a weekly humour anthology that's been published by DC Thomson since 1938. And it's NEVER renumbered. Over 4000 issues.

My avatar here is another Beano character, Roger the Dodger.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-13-2020 at 01:31 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Some people keep complaining about LCBS and print comics, and saying they are dead, but they make up 90% of the comic sales. Digital only makes up 10%. That tells me that LCBS are doing something right and are successful, and digital is NOT. They don't operate with any of the disadvantages that LCBS do, so why aren't they outselling LCBS? If digital is so great, why can't it fully support the comic book industry?
    The digital market share would rise if they didn't have to pander to LCBS. There would be digital comics released right now if it wasn't for LCBS' complains. Digital prices would be lower if it wasn't for LCBS' complains. They can't make use of any of digital comics advantages as long they listen to shops who in their own words target a completely "different audience".

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Why wouldn't the LCBS treat digital like a competing store? LCBS are only asking for a level playing field. What barriers are between the internet and the industry?

Probably because there is no money to made there. There aren't as many LCBS as their are restaurants, nor is there a 'tradition' of take-out. Part of the appeal of a LCBS is the interaction and community of the store. You don't get that with takeout. If getting your comics brought to is your thing, you are probably doing mail order.

Some people keep complaining about LCBS and print comics, and saying they are dead, but they make up 90% of the comic sales. Digital only makes up 10%. That tells me that LCBS are doing something right and are successful, and digital is NOT. They don't operate with any of the disadvantages that LCBS do, so why aren't they outselling LCBS? If digital is so great, why can't it fully support the comic book industry?
    Is this a joke? Digital keeps getting handicapped by LCS so they can remain relevant. Be it having to have the same price as a retail copy, waiting 6 months to get the latest books and other means retailers can insure that digital never takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Is this a joke? Digital keeps getting handicapped by LCS so they can remain relevant. Be it having to have the same price as a retail copy, waiting 6 months to get the latest books and other means retailers can insure that digital never takes off.
    This is very true if nothing else this pandemic could have caused a huge growth in the digital fanbase and it could have improved by a mile. LCBS Bitching killed that how can you expect the future to grow when you keep catering to the past. Not everyone is intresting in collecting and trading if anything the only thing holding back digital is the claim you don't really own the comic.

Mighty Member

you can order again starting april 20 a my comic shop