Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    How can stores refuse to offer mail order (inventory permitting)?
    Because they can.

Remember to do all that cost money.

it also mean you have to keep track of what you have in stock.

Not everybody wants to do that.

Some of those store owners that whine to Bleeding cool-guess what they don't do- FOC, mail or online. Especially that one who takes issue with any Marvel book with a POC.

My store converted to FOC around September. The difference is there. Excluding some books that were made returnable-the shelves are not pack with unsold books. Especially variants.

Pretty much everyone is getting what they want (including the variants that get jacked up in price ).

It also allows them to have a clearance section now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Anyone else find the lack of news from Marvek weird?
    No.

Anything they would say would attract more trolls who don't buy comics books and crybaby owners.

I mean what are they going to announce?

If it was me I would wait and probably see or contact to find out which stores are open and what can they do-be it mail or pick up.

If 90% of the stores can do SOMETHING to get books to folks-you announce something. If not-just wait. Just make sure your folks are working on what books that they can.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jess...elling-comics/

Makes some good points.

esse James Criscione is the owner of Jesse James Comics of Glendale, Arizona. As a store that dropped Diamond Comics as a distributor at the beginning of last year, he started the Comic Book Shopping Network. As a result of all this, he has a rather unique take on the current changes in comic book distribution, especially the take by Brian Hibbs that informed pretty much everything we were talking about this weekend. Jesse writes (and passed to Bleeding Cool) the following;

"So, here is my take on one of my Closest friends in their Industry post. We as LCS owners have FAILED our customers in so many ways. We have let our EGOS get in the way of taking care of them. We have made so many people happy over the decades on selling them comics. In their time of need. WE as stores owners have FAILED to use the opportunities before us to continue to do that. WE have FAILED to unite in any shape or form a sizable relevant group for the good and future of our industry."
    (cont)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    This man made a lot of valid points. Especially about politics and favoring a publisher or what not.

In a time of crisis like this, forward looking solutions are required. This isn’t a new discussion, it’s been ongoing for more than a decade. Why some retailers are totally and utterly resistant to any and all form of change and or adjustments to the current system is genuinely beyond me.

The goal now should be how to move things forward and not complain about Jim Lee, SJWs or how people only want to see certain things in comics (when that is obviously and clearly not the case). How does the industry survive in the midst of a shutdown? It’s pretty straight forward, find a way to sell comics and serve your customers (if they are able and willing to buy).

The elders tell tales of a time when Marvel books had these things called subscriptions inserted into them that allowed you to just subscribe to the books you wanted and they would come in the mail like magazines.

When/If this mess gets sorted out why can't we just go back to that?

Sure you won't be able to do the variant song and dance or overship but wouldn't it be worth it to get someone to sign up for twelve issues at once?

Because let's face it, a lot of comic shops aren't going to make it and a lot of people just don't like reading comics digitally.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-20-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

They do offer that service.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The elders tell tales of a time when Marvel books had these things called subscriptions inserted into them that allowed you to just subscribe to the books you wanted and they would come in the mail like magazines.

When/If this mess gets sorted out why can't we just go back to that?

Sure you won't be able to do the variant song and dance or overship but wouldn't it be worth it to get someone to sign up for twelve issues at once?

Because let's face it, a lot of comic shops aren't going to make it and a lot of people just don't like reading comics digitally.
    They do have that. I have Miles under a month subscription along with Riri Williams.

I got those books about a week after they came out.

I got them at 48% off the cover and they were regular covers. Midtown comics sent them.

The DOWNSIDE the flyer included with the comic for a shot to order more subscriptions-is NOT updated. I started my subscription around December 2018 (Miles Morales issue #3 was my first one).

The last one I got was Milen.s babysitting his siter. The flyer still had Shuri, Riri, Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl books offered as subscriptions. NONE of the Hickman era of X-Men.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

DC will be releasing comics digitally daily
    https://twitter.com/ign/status/1252568036025958400?s=21

The first wave of titles released as part of the new expansion will be Superman: The Man of Tomorrow, Batman: Gotham Nights, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, Aquaman: Deep Dives, Flash: Fastest Man Alive, Swamp Thing: New Roots and DC Super Hero Girls: Infinite Frenemies, with each debuting online for the first time, having previously been exclusive to DC Giants anthologies.

"Comic book fans want more access to content than ever before," Chief creative officer and publisher Jim Lee said in a statement. "This strategy is intended to get daily content to fans immediately, and also to ensure that when comic shops open back up for business, they will have new content and product that their customers will want. In the meantime, we will have properly stoked and protected the demand for comics, keeping fans interested in our characters and stories.

"I really want to stress that regularly scheduled and solicited print comics, traditionally available on Wednesdays, will continue to be available day-and-date digitally on Tuesdays moving forward," Lee added. "On the other hand, DC Digital First comics will be released seven days a week, with a strikingly different trade dress that will distinguish these titles from physical versions."

In addition to the new batch of content joining its Digital First catalog, DC has launched DC Essential Reads, a free digital promotion offering first issues of Watchmen, Batman: Hush, The Sandman, Dark Nights: Metal, Doomsday Clock, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Mister Miracle, and more iconic editions from the DC library, on a variety of digital platforms until June 8.
    Jim Lee got a good head on his shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They do have that. I have Miles under a month subscription along with Riri Williams.

I got those books about a week after they came out.

I got them at 48% off the cover and they were regular covers. Midtown comics sent them.

The DOWNSIDE the flyer included with the comic for a shot to order more subscriptions-is NOT updated. I started my subscription around December 2018 (Miles Morales issue #3 was my first one).

The last one I got was Milen.s babysitting his siter. The flyer still had Shuri, Riri, Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl books offered as subscriptions. NONE of the Hickman era of X-Men.
    You had an Ironheart sub and it wasn't transferred to another title? I assume you'll get the two 2020 issues then? You're up to date on Miles - that babysitting issue was a one and done before the Outlawed tie-in starts - but Outlawed of course only got it's launch issue out and the next Miles issue, along with Kamala's book, were in the first week of postponements.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You had an Ironheart sub and it wasn't transferred to another title? I assume you'll get the two 2020 issues then? You're up to date on Miles - that babysitting issue was a one and done before the Outlawed tie-in starts - but Outlawed of course only got it's launch issue out and the next Miles issue, along with Kamala's book, were in the first week of postponements.
    No it wasn't transferred to another title. I got her book before the first issue came out. So I went all 12 issues. I wasn't offered another title.

I would suspect that 2020 mini wasn't in the works at the time the book was axed.

I have never been offered another book or magazine I had under subscription. I have GQ subscription and WOW do they fight to get you to renew. They send a renewal offer every month. Despite I have it for 2 years.

In addition to the new batch of content joining its Digital First catalog, DC has launched DC Essential Reads, a free digital promotion offering first issues of Watchmen, Batman: Hush, The Sandman, Dark Nights: Metal, Doomsday Clock, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Mister Miracle, and more iconic editions from the DC library, on a variety of digital platforms until June 8.
    I wish they would do lower level books that got missed like a Dial H or Wonder Twins.

Aside from Sandman-the rest of these are books almost everyone has or has unlimited access to.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I wish they would do lower level books that got missed like a Dial H or Wonder Twins.

Aside from Sandman-the rest of these are books almost everyone has or has unlimited access to.
    They want to pull out the big guns as a means to draw people in. People pay for the main-event not the opening match. Usually someone already needs to be invested in the medium to look at the obscure stuff.

Good for DC making money and doing something.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They want to pull out the big guns as a means to draw people in. People pay for the main-event not the opening match. Usually someone already needs to be invested in the medium to look at the obscure stuff.

I was actually talking about the essential reads.

Last time I checked Mr Miracle is not a big gun. So how does he get something and guys like Black Lightning and 90% of the CW guys get left out.

Where is Tom Free's Oscar winning movie, box office hit, hit tv show or long running book at??? If that is the criteria for being a big gun.

So while it's nice that Dc is doing something. They can't limit it it to the same characters that have been around for 75 years and ARE NOT attracting new readers. While ignoring the ones who are attracting interest but have nothing to read.

Scott Free has that book by Tom King. That should not be the end of it.

I just got a reminder for Emperor Hulkling

I was actually talking about the essential reads.

Last time I checked Mr Miracle is not a big gun.
    Maybe not, but his writer is.