Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The question that needs to be asked here, is that are you writing out of concern for the future of comics publishing or as a fan worried about what's happening in the next issue?

The former is defensible/understandable (in theory), the latter is inexcusable.

The adventures of fictional characters in a constantly regurgitated repetitious serial narrative isn't worth a hill of beans if it means several people along with their livelihoods are left unemployed.

We're all waiting right, everyone's waiting for stuff to get back to some kind of normal. Waiting for comics isn't so bad. And besides you have whole buckets of back catalogue comics to read, whereas this month you would only be getting your pull lists. It's no different from skipping a couple of months and waiting for the trade.

For once corporations are acting out of concern and pushback by people on the lower rungs, appreciate it while it lasts.
    I care about the development of the digital side of the industry. I switched over to digital years ago as I wanted to save money, no longer had the space for physical books and never had the collectors mentality. American comics, is the only entertainment medium that treats digital as a redheaded stepchild. The method of distribution that's their best shot of actually gaining new readership (aside from libraries and the trade market) continuously being pushed aside for a model that's bleeding while laying on it's deathbed.

This is a shitty time. THere is no way to make people happy. Skipping digital pisses off that crowd. Putting out digital pisses off the physical crowd.

The thing is that the companies should be looking at a digital alternative in case this does last longer then a month. Even if it does last a month some shops may not survive. The industry was hurting before this At least that is how it looked. I am not an insider so I dont know but that is what I have been hearing.

The companies need to look at expanding digital and this may be the time to do it. There is no need to ignore digital. I get not releasing them for a month. but if this goes long term are they just going to miss out on income, are they just going to lay off their workers?

There is no good answer but the fact is if this goes on long term then a lot of the smaller shops are going to fold and those people and the companies need to look art how to reach those people.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm fine with a break this week. For an industry that's been getting new material every single week for so many years, we can survive. I would just be extremely disappointed if they did like other publishers that decided to just drop everything indefinitely until Diamond returns. By the looks of their statement, I think they're a lot less likely to be that patient. And we all saw how DC was perfectly ready to go digital this week. I think it's only a matter of time to see who pulls the trigger first.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Well then this is just small thinking, I just don't understand how not bringing any money in at all seems like wise idea, yes it's a pandemic Corona's not going anywhere anytime soon, I don't understand personally I couldn't care less about Physical copies.
    I think it's comparable to film studios not releasing their movies VOD instead of in theaters (with the added note that movie theaters don't have to buy non-refundable tickets for every single seat in their theater and would be out all that money if everyone just bought the movie on demand instead).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    if Marvel doesn't release their new releases on digital this week i will eat my hat
    What kind of hat?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    This is... interesting? I can see why someone who teased it thought it was big, as it is the POS they use and an idea they put out there, but I read only about 30% of stores use any kind of POS as is. Is everyone going to jump on board and convert from whatever they already use? Seems like recipe for another "monopoly" if this ultimately leads to forcing stores to convert. Also, I really wonder about Diamond as they are developing their own POS I think.

If Diamond can't pay vendors, they're almost certainly in financial trouble. Good chance their POS will never see the light of day.

So, does this mean we can get comics again starting two weeks from now?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Manga companies are making their manga free online to help those at home! So this is how the manga companies are dealing with the virus.

https://soranews24.com/2020/03/09/th...o-read-online/

With much of Japan’s population staying at home in order to stay safe, manga publishers want to help them stay happy and entertained too.

In response to the coronavirus outbreak, many schools in Japan are closed and a number of companies have instituted telecommuting policies. Major entertainment events, including concerts and anime conventions, have been cancelled, in keeping with health officials’ recommendation to avoid spending time in crowded places.
    Of course, “crowded places” describes a lot of Japan’s urban and suburban communities in general, and the overall result of combining “don’t go to school/work” with “don’t go out” is a sort of strange combination between a vacation and house arrest. Thankfully, to help people keep their spirits up and combat boredom, a large number of Japan’s manga publishers are making their comics available to read online for free.
    The current free-to-read anthology selection includes back issues from the last few months, for a total of 78 free editions currently available (access app/website in parentheses):
    ● Weekly Shonen Jump (Shonen Jump +)
    ● Weekly Shonen Sunday (Sunday Webly)
    ● Kokoro Comic, Kokoro Ichiban (Kokoro Online)
    ● Betsu Comi, Sho-Comi, Cheese!, Ciao Deluxe, Petit Comic, Monthly Flowers (Shogakukan e-Comic Store)
    ● Ribbon, Bessatsu Margaret, Koko Hana, The Margaret (Margaret Bookstore)
    ● Weekly Shonen Champion (Manga Cross)
    ● Hana to Yume, The Hana to Yume Shin, LaLa, LaLaDX (Hakusensha.enet!)
    What’s arguably even better, though, is that a number of publishers are making the entirety of historically best-selling individual series available, giving fans the chance to revisit/finish off long-running series. Shogakukan’s Sunday Webly, for example, will be making every single volume free-to-read for 11 titles, starting with Hayate the Combat Butler, Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, and Kekkaishi. On March 8, Ranma 1/2, Major, and Psyche Mata Shite mo get added to the list, with The Law of Ueki, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Miyuki coming on the 15th and Ushio and Tora and Libero Revolution on the 22nd. In total that’s 392 volumes of free manga (and to reiterate, that’s volumes, with each containing multiple chapters).

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Seems like an odd way to still have comic shops receive some sorta income. But somehow I doubt it would be any majority of people who buy the codes who also go out and redeem for a physical version

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Seems like an odd way to still have comic shops receive some sorta income. But somehow I doubt it would be any majority of people who buy the codes who also go out and redeem for a physical version
    Something I have read is that is not connected to Comixology. Is Comixology also going to be listing new comics again once this goes live? If so, I would have to think anyone who does pay for the comic through Comic Hub (which would mean they are signed up to a retailer) would most likely be doing it because they are expecting to pick up the physical comics later.

So the big plan is to have comic shops sell digital copy codes then later this year we can get a real copy. Won't some people just say forget it and just go digital only that way? Can't see this as the big fix for comic shops plus not all comic shops have a online site and won't this start a battle with the online comic sites that sell digital comics and comic shops?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Something I have read is that is not connected to Comixology. Is Comixology also going to be listing new comics again once this goes live? If so, I would have to think anyone who does pay for the comic through Comic Hub (which would mean they are signed up to a retailer) would most likely be doing it because they are expecting to pick up the physical comics later.
    Comixology is not involved, the digital comics will be delivered via Comicshub.

I don't see any reason for Comixology not to resume publishing new comics as soon as this is active though, maybe as soon as next week even.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So the big plan is to have comic shops sell digital copy codes then later this year we can get a real copy. Won't some people just say forget it and just go digital only that way? Can't see this as the big fix for comic shops plus not all comic shops have a online site and won't this start a battle with the online comic sites that sell digital comics and comic shops?
    No problemo.
    When customers register their account, they link with a physical print store. Which means stores don't need even their own website.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Perhaps, but if they wanted that they could have been doing it for years already. This might not be the ideal solution for the comic shops, but better some cash flow than none.

I don't think this will be kept running once things go back to normal, but if it did, well some competition for Comixology would not hurt. Not that it would lead to lowered prices though as long as they must keep parity with the direct market prices.