Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What for? There's no roadblocks preventing digital releases.
    It's a fact that the entire comics infrastructure was tied to physical releases. Variant covers and editions, relaunches and number 1s, all that was based on floppy copies. As is other stuff like payment and so on.

Going into digital all of a sudden during the current crisis would upset all of that. It would also upset relationships (i.e. monopolies) maintained by the Big Two to make sure they remain the Big Two and Diamond remains the Big 1.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Physical comics are important to stores and the fan base, I guess. Hats off to them for trying to keep that going.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's a fact that the entire comics infrastructure was tied to physical releases. Variant covers and editions, relaunches and number 1s, all that was based on floppy copies. As is other stuff like payment and so on.

Going into digital all of a sudden during the current crisis would upset all of that. It would also upset relationships (i.e. monopolies) maintained by the Big Two to make sure they remain the Big Two and Diamond remains the Big 1.
    Not if you try to work out a deal where if you buy a title digitially-the floppy would be put in your pull list if you have one.

Like take Falcon & Winter Solider mini that I am pulling. If I pull 3 via my comic book store-why can't I get the digital code for it and have that floppy in my pull list bag?

In other words I am still buying the physical book, I will have it waiting for me when this clears up but I have the digital copy already. I am sure marvel has a way to shut down that code in the book.

The downside is it will screw up back issue sales if they can shut off that code in the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Not if you try to work out a deal where if you buy a title digitially-the floppy would be put in your pull list if you have one.
    So they give you a physical hard copy for free for what you buy online. Not gonna happen. Monopolies got where they are maximizing profits and gaining something from every little last tiny drop. So you pay double for physical and digital.

DC/Marvel/Diamond are monopolies. They do not want to stop being monopolies. They are like Rorschach on this front, "Even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Like take Falcon & Winter Solider mini that I am pulling. If I pull 3 via my comic book store-why can't I get the digital code for it and have that floppy in my pull list bag?
    So that you pay double when you pay for physical releases. I mean basically they want to fleece you. Why be friendly to consumers now?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

There is a huge roadblock, which is people from the direct market being pissed off that they’re being left behind. Retailers already bitched back when Marvel made digital comics available in the early hours of Wednesday because they thought it gave them an unfair advantage over comic shops, can you imagine if comics are only available digitally during this time? Anything that threatens to disrupt the order is met with hostility.

On the other hand, not publishing any new comics for an indefinite amount of time would be bad for creators, and Marvel needs them for, you know, creating comics. And like I said, if Bleeding Cool’s rumor about Marvel telling their freelancers to keep working is true, then they must a have a plan to publish comics very soon. Maybe not next week, but sooner than the smaller publishers that put everything on hold. I’m not sure what their plan is, all I know is that it’ll probably upset people either way.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-27-2020 at 08:32 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No point fulfilling a digital-to-physical pick-up since it'll be tough to calculate how many printed copies will be picked up. The physical-to-digital works better.
    "Cable was right!"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    There is a huge roadblock, which is people from the direct market being pissed off that they’re being left behind. Retailers already bitched back when Marvel made digital comics available in the early hours of Wednesday because they thought it gave them an unfair advantage over comic shops, can you imagine if comics are only available digitally during this time? Anything that threatens to disrupt the order is met with hostility.

On the other hand, not publishing any new comics for an indefinite amount of time would be bad for creators, and Marvel needs them for, you know, creating comics. And like I said, if Bleeding Cool’s rumor about Marvel telling their freelancers to keep working is true, then they must a have a plan to publish comics very soon. Maybe not next week, but sooner than the smaller publishers that put everything on hold. I’m not sure what their plan is, all I know is that it’ll probably upset people either way.
    That's not a roadblock for digital. That's not the problem of digital storefronts and services. This is the time for them to capitalize. Leave the shops in the dust if need be.

We all have to admit the industry was hurting before this. Maybe this would be a good time to start talking about moving to a digital format, or a mostly digital format in case something like this happens again.

My question is what if this goes on long term? Are the companies just going to quit putting out comics all together? Or will they say that physical copies arnt practical right now and start to do digital and try and save physical down the road?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

That's not a roadblock for digital. That's not the problem of digital storefronts and services. This is the time for them to capitalize. Leave the shops in the dust if need be.
    That's not going to be the attitude from DC or Marvel, nor should it.

God forbid people have to endure a wait for their comics until the brick and mortar stores can safely reopen.

Saying "screw you" to stores that have purchased, stocked and promoted your product for decades in favor of digital during a time of crisis would be a sh*tty and shortsighted move.

Eventually this will pass. Comics will be shipped, stores will be opened.

Marvel, DC and other publishers would be wise to stand by retailers, not throw them under the bus.

Incredible Member

I’ve been digital since 2011 when they started to roll it out around the time DC started new 52. Never been big into variant or collecting newer comics (may pick up a classic rated comic every so often). So I don’t see the collectors value in my opinion. I just enjoy the characters and the content. I can open my phone or tablet and have a whole library at my fingertips, flash sales on series I’d been tempted to dive into being .99 an issue and easy to use and read. I used to go to the LCS debut storage became and issue the more my collection grew and grew and I finally realized I don’t need to Hold the book when I could just lay in bed at night with a tablet or even my computer. I get some people are dedicated and “never digital” but with how so many markets are moving to the digital space it would be silly not to use this to push people digital and show all it has to offer. For many people they don’t have the luxury of living near a LCS so they’ve adapted to digital. So hopefully we will keep getting issues weekly. Lack of new comics and content I think will hurt them more then upset retailers. On top of that we could see the digital platform rise even to more popularity with how simple it is to use. It would be great if this lead to lowering digital prices due to lack of printing. But for now it’s the price I pay to support the future of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    That's not going to be the attitude from DC or Marvel, nor should it.

God forbid people have to endure a wait for their comics until the brick and mortar stores can safely reopen.

Saying "screw you" to stores that have purchased, stocked and promoted your product for decades in favor of digital during a time of crisis would be a sh*tty and shortsighted move.

Eventually this will pass. Comics will be shipped, stores will be opened.

Marvel, DC and other publishers would be wise to stand by retailers, not throw them under the bus.
    It's what the film industry is doing. Theaters were forced to close so they released those films on VoD and streaming early. I don't expect this for the tentpole films but for the moderate to small budget films I expect them to skip theaters during this time.

I don't see digital stores for games putting a halt to sales because GameStop can't open stores to sell Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing.

Physical side of the medium will have to reevaluate how to go forward. We don't know how long this crisis will go on for or if it's even feasible to continue on with this model once it's over.

I think the industry will suffer a lot in the short term.

The shops should not be thrown under the bus at all. When things get to normal start with physical copies again. But who knows how long this will last. Many are saying it will go on for months. So are the companies willing to lose out on all income by not releasing digital?

Everyone seems to think that people only buy physical. Its not really fair to the digital crowd to put that on hold for long term. They are ignoring a good part of their fan base. The people who buy physical can still get the digital and get the floppies when they come out. If they dont want to do that because they are a purist or they dont want to spend the money that is fine. But why punish everyone?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The shops should not be thrown under the bus at all. When things get to normal start with physical copies again. But who knows how long this will last. Many are saying it will go on for months. So are the companies willing to lose out on all income by not releasing digital?

Everyone seems to think that people only buy physical. Its not really fair to the digital crowd to put that on hold for long term. They are ignoring a good part of their fan base. The people who buy physical can still get the digital and get the floppies when they come out. If they dont want to do that because they are a purist or they dont want to spend the money that is fine. But why punish everyone?
    I honestly think (at least with the big 2) that eventually they'll use their own parent company's book distribution. There's a rumor about that on Reddit that was posted here a page or two back. But we'll just have to wait until April 1st to see if the new issues are being sold digitally, since last Wednesday was when the last of the books were sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

The best thing Marvel and DC can do for shops is let them refund or return the books they ordered.