Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I mean, it's Tuesday, but yeah
    If Reviresco is in Australia or Asia, it would already be Tuesday where they are, and therefore Wednesday tomorrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC is now reversing and apparently delaying a bunch of books four weeks.
    https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/30/...ing-batman-92/

Not sure why they would think the situation will be any more optimistic a month from now.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-30-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Not sure why they would think the situation will be any more optimistic a month from now.
    I wonder what sparked the change. Angry responses from retailers?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if these corporations are so big that the communication a) takes a long time to trickle back and forth and b) there is a lot of repeating things to explain just how things work to the execs. The smaller publishers have decisions being made by people who are actually talking to retailers and creators.

I do think they got a lot of pressure from retailers though, and maybe someone thought they could have comics shipping by next week and that did not work out.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Well, I called it. ;p DC hates taking flak for their decisions. Marvel, OTOH, does the opposite -- while happily trolling.

God, I hope the situation is better by the end of the month. Watching the news is too grimm. And DC could always change their minds again at the end of the month. It's morbid, but by the end of the month, they might have a better idea if LCBS are going to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if these corporations are so big that the communication a) takes a long time to trickle back and forth and b) there is a lot of repeating things to explain just how things work to the execs. The smaller publishers have decisions being made by people who are actually talking to retailers and creators.

I do think they got a lot of pressure from retailers though, and maybe someone thought they could have comics shipping by next week and that did not work out.
    That's a good point. It can't be easy to switch printers and get everything going in a week, especially during this crisis.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Yeah, this is like putting a band-aid over a deep cut. If things are not better by then, what are they going to do? Keep delaying it? Just put everything on hold indefinitely or get it over with and publish digital already.

Bleeding Cool posted two stories about Empyre; apparently they've read Avengers #0 and FF #0 already and claim they're coming out tomorrow. Not sure if they know that for a fact or if they're just guessing because Marvel hasn't pulled their digital releases yet. Well, we'll find out soon enough.

They also got hold of copies of the next two Batman issues - one of which was also due tomorrow and is now postponed.

So these comics must be stuck in Diamond's warehouses.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Marvel released a statement that they will not be releasing comis digitally this week https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1244978976017149963

A part of me wonders if they were just waiting to see what DC would do..

BANNED

Because it likely will be. It won't be fully resolved, of course, but by the end of April, beginning of May there should be more clarity on when some things can resume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Because it likely will be. It won't be fully resolved, of course, but by the end of April, beginning of May there should be more clarity on when some things can resume.
    The longer we are in this crisis, the better we are going to get in handling it. So maybe things would change by then.

This is a dumb decision on both their parts but they don't care at the end of the day it's all about money their playing themselves.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Marvel released a statement that they will not be releasing comis digitally this week https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1244978976017149963

A part of me wonders if they were just waiting to see what DC would do..
    This is bullshit, no other entertainment industry has stopped digital releases over this virus. I can buy new eBooks on Kindle no trouble. Video games has been mostly digital for years. Even Hollywood is fast tracking recent movies to video on demand services.

But I guess Marvel loves their 'flood the shelves' strategy more than trying to honestly grow the readership through digital sales.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This is bullshit, no other entertainment industry has stopped digital releases over this virus. I can buy new eBooks on Kindle no trouble. Video games has been mostly digital for years. Even Hollywood is fast tracking recent movies to video on demand services.

But I guess Marvel loves their 'flood the shelves' strategy more than trying to honestly grow the readership through digital sales.
    Have books stopped being printed and sent to book stores? From what I heard, those are still shipping, including graphic novels.

Digital movies come out after the movies have been in the theater. For the most part that is not changing. Some movies got cut short in the theater, so yes they are going to come to digital sooner than they would have, and a few movies will apparently go straight to digital, but how many are getting bumped back? Way more, especially the blockbusters that need theater dollars to make money back. And those movies that have been pushed back are obviously having whatever digital release date pushed back as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post

Seeing as other publishers have forgone digital releases this week and some have outright stated they won't continue with digital until print resumes, this is not a Marvel thing but an industry wide thing.

Taking the present moment as an opportunity to grow digital sales through new releases would be awfully sh*tty to the comic shops who are in a terrible bind right now through no fault of their own, shops that are the backbone of the industry. People who haven't hopped on board with digital might well sample it while this is going on but to simply keep up with digital releases like normal while shops across the country and around the world are forcibly closed with no new product to offer, well, I think it's easy to see how that would be a very bad look for publishers.

People have been trained to expect instant gratification so the present situation is frustrating. But people need to keep in mind that this is not going to last forever.

We haven't been nuked, a meteor hasn't collided with the Earth. It's not like we have to rebuild civilization when we crawl out from the fall out shelters.

Everything is intact. We're just on pause.

So when things get going again in May, as I hope and expect they will (even if every single aspect of society isn't back to full speed I believe enough will be up and running again that non-essential businesses can reopen, maybe will some caveats regarding operations), you don't want to be a publisher who threw a whole industry worth of LCS's under the bus for four week's or so worth of digital sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    This is a dumb decision on both their parts but they don't care at the end of the day it's all about money their playing themselves.
    And if publishers continued with digital sales through this, the complaint would also be that they only care about money.

No matter what they do, people will complain. But I think holding off on digital for now - in regards to new releases - is the prudent move.