Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566676869 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    DC is thirty percent of the market, and Diamond took out loans and still can't pay everyone back in full yet. It could be argued that DC leaving was the fatal blow.
    A world without Diamond would be crazy. That digital option is starting to look really good...

Maybe Diamond will rename themself as "Emma Frost" because she has a diamond body, pretty popular character and sexy AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    DC is thirty percent of the market, and Diamond took out loans and still can't pay everyone back in full yet. It could be argued that DC leaving was the fatal blow.
    If this does result in Diamond's collapse, then DC aren't actually to blame - the Coronavirus is. They'd normally have survived DC splitting off, as long as Marvel stayed loyal. You are right that this may no longer be the case though, and the virus is why.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So who does manga books? They were still coming out even when diamond was shut down? Are they all coming out by the same group?

Found a video from shop owners that looks at both sides. The diamond as mcdonalds was a great way to put it. It looks at both sides of things.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Sorry if this has been answered already but are they ever going to print copies of the comics that were released digitally like Ant-man and Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider?
    Baby Thanos

Trade paperback only, sorry.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Diamond wasn't distributing DC's products so DC went elsewhere cuz they wanted money. I don't know what Rich's and PAD's problems are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So who does manga books? They were still coming out even when diamond was shut down? Are they all coming out by the same group?

Found a video from shop owners that looks at both sides. The diamond as mcdonalds was a great way to put it. It looks at both sides of things.
    Manga publishers use other book distributers besides Diamond.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Peter David is right about the scale of the possible consequences. But, nobody can predict the precise results beyond "this is huge".

Will DC (or Marvel) abandon the direct market? Will this lead to more distribution companies? Will it vary by region, or type of store? (I am not even scratching the surface.)

This is going to everyone, even if they don't read DC.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Diamond wasn't distributing DC's products so DC went elsewhere cuz they wanted money. I don't know what Rich's and PAD's problems are.

Manga publishers use other book distributers besides Diamond.
    And if they can continue to be successful, (yes, different format, marketing, promotion etc. but...) despite not using Diamond then....it stands to reason that other companies can do the same.

I recall in the very recent past numerous SM pundits (the doom and gloomers) were prophesying the Great Demise of the Comic Book Industry. Tch!
    Things are different yes, but...no implosion. DC's decision is just another "speed bump" to be navigated but the industry will get to where it needs to be.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

So DC changed Distributors.I understand why people are upset by the news but how will this really change? I mean DC is still putting out comic-books.So i dont understand the news.this wont change DC

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    So DC changed Distributors.I understand why people are upset by the news but how will this really change? I mean DC is still putting out comic-books.So i dont understand the news.this wont change DC
    Comic stores will now have to fill out a extra form for DC and if there a distributer that alredy is part of or orders from Warner brothers they apparently getting a extra 25% discount on top of one to March dimond. It's a net win for slightly more work. But this means storys will have to do the unthinkable and adapt and improve on the same stragitys they were using since the 80. It's changing the industry to the benefit of the consumer and that's bad because whining

I remember thinking, when I first saw this thread, "nah this virus won't effect comics lol"

Little did I know...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And I'm here still wondering when the comics I pre-ordered for April 1st are going to show up.

I thought there'd be delays, but I didn't expect the Diamond temporary closure or DC's new distributors.

Looks like the UK's Beano comic was finally affected last week. They've still been releasing every week, but now the Bash Street Kids strip has a substitute artist. The usual one, David Sutherland, has been the main BSK artist since 1962, so presumably he's shielding due to his age, and therefore had to take a break.

Ultimate Member

Diamond made a very,very dumb decision and they are paying the price for it.

Temporarily shutting down wasn't dumb, not having detailed discussions with your customers (you know, the actual publishers) before deciding to shut down was idiotic.

DC/WB probably analyzed the whole situation, return on comics, cost of production and current distribution and made a judgement call. Let's be honest with ourselves, there's no way WB will look at comics sales and its current distribution model and be happy with it. Millions of people are seeing DCs movies but a few thousands buy the comics largely because the direct market is far too restrictive.

Despite what the alt-right cranks on social media are saying, comics aren't selling because they are too "liberal" they aren't selling because of a ridiculously restrictive distribution network. I won't be surprised if DC is targeting the bookstore and other general markets....which will further blow the minds of the social media talking heads because those markets are ridiculously diverse.

Anyway, Marvel will definitely make a move. It might not be soon because Marvel has a very good relationship with Diamond and retailers but eventually, they will look at the big picture and decide conclusively on how they can expand their distribution. It might not involved leaving the DM completely but something drastic has to happen.