Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 955
  1. #241
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry this situation has become an inconvenience to you. Who cares what's best for the comic market as a whole, as long as you get your books uninterrupted.
    This crisis hasn't put a dent on the digital side of literally every other entertainment industry out there. In fact, it is striving right now due to people who can't or won't leave their homes. This is the time to capitalize not come to a halt because physical can't be available.

  2. #242
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's backwards because the distribution of digital has nothing to do with the retail side of the industry. They should continue as normal while physical distribution chains sort their shit out.
    I suspect, though I don't know for certain, that there may be some issues in creating a book and digitally preparing it, that can't all be handled at home -- especially given the heavy use of the internet right now.

    Regardless retail stores AND the publishers disagree with you. The fact that you are paying the exact same price for new digital as I pay for physical copies, actually more, since I get subscription discounts, should tell you they are connected.

    I disagree, also, since I don't see any music stores or video stories around anymore. There's fewer and fewer bookstores also. And the DVD sections in box stores are getting smaller and smaller. I understand digital folks are fine with that. I am not. I like physical copies. I like the society of my LCBS. Clearly, we are different audiences and disagree on this issue.


    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This crisis hasn't put a dent on the digital side of literally every other entertainment industry out there. In fact, it is striving right now due to people who can't or won't leave their homes. This is the time to capitalize not come to a halt because physical can't be available.
    I do think this could be an opportunity for Marvel to grow their digital audience, as I said before, when I suggested they do more with their Unlimited service. I just don't think they should kill the LCBS to do so.


    And digital HAS taken a few dents in this crisis. Netflix went down and has had problems. The streaming services and the internet providers are throttling speeds to deal with use they aren't prepared for. I'm definitely having some issues with my service. But since I have physical copies of my comics and movies, I'm fine with that too.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #243
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    They do. 7 days free.
    I didn't realize that.

    But that sort of shows that Marvel isn't doing enough to push the service.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  4. #244
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I live in MA, so no comics for me regardless.

    I just don't understand why *Diamond* is not shipping comics when possible.

    That might save a few stores. Diamond needs comocs. They sell other products, but only have the lock on comics.

    Diamond is not shipping, because various warehouses are being closed down by local governments, their product (like DC whose Canadian printer shut down) has been closed down, their customers are being closed down, and there are shipping problems. And they probably would rather avoid the contagion problems some Amazon warehouses are having now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Geppi of Diamond
    We are hearing from thousands of retailers that they can no longer service their customers as they have in the past, many of them forced to close by government action or resort to in-person or curbside delivery. Even those still open are seeing reduced foot traffic in most cases, a situation that seems likely to worsen with time.

    Our publishing partners are also faced with numerous issues in their supply chain, working with creators, printers, and increasing uncertainty when it comes to the production and delivery of products for us to distribute. Our freight networks are feeling the strain and are already experiencing delays, while our distribution centers in New York, California, and Pennsylvania were all closed late last week. Our own home office in Maryland instituted a work from home policy, and experts say that we can expect further closures. Therefore, my only logical conclusion is to cease the distribution of new weekly product until there is greater clarity on the progress made toward stemming the spread of this disease.
    You can read his full letter here:

    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...ter-this-week/
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  5. #245
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I mean I was a little harsh. Non of this is ideal. I mean you dont release digital you make those fans made. You do you make the physical buyers mad its a shitty time.
    Pretty much this.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  6. #246
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

    Regardless retail stores AND the publishers disagree with you. The fact that you are paying the exact same price for new digital as I pay for physical copies, actually more, since I get subscription discounts, should tell you they are connected.
    That has to do with standardized pricing. Being cheaper is a big advantage of digital that retailers bitched out. It's the same price to appeased them more than anything. Since that's what the public accepted there was no real need to change it. Digital tends to go on sale often so that's when I usually make my purchases.

  7. #247
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That has to do with standardized pricing. Being cheaper is a big advantage of digital that retailers bitched out. It's the same price to appeased them more than anything. Since that's what the public accepted there was no real need to change it. Digital tends to go on sale often so that's when I usually make my purchases.
    Exactly! That's the same reason Marvel isn't going to publish digital first during this crisis. At least, that appears to be their decision at this point of time.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  8. #248
    Astonishing Member Raye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    I am just going to sum up my thoughts on the matter (and copy and paste bits of some stuff i posted on Bleeding Cool the other day cus I am lazy)

    Basically, I don't think they should stop digital distribution because of this, i think shutting digital down in some misguided attempt to protect comic shops would cause more harm than keeping that line open. Shutting digital down and in effect suspending all books entirely puts creatives out of work, and in the long run, it could help people just walk away from comics entirely and never come back, if there is no alternative avenue to purchase them, because comics is a very habit based hobby. Frankly, I am tired of people acting like it is the publishers primary responsibility to keep comic shops afloat, especially when the retailers are acting like entitled asses. I get that under normal circumstances, that is the primary distribution channel, and so the publishers try to placate them. But cancelling digital, and putting all the creatives etc. out of work for however long this lasts, and denying fans, a lot of whom are already buying digitally, (I switched to digital years ago) is only ensuring that more people are hurt in this.

    I know digital is not the primary market, but the main reason digital isn't doing as well as it could be is because retailers pitch hissy fits whenever the publishers try to do anything like lowering prices etc. and I am tired of it. I'm not saying we should force the entire market to digital, if you want to stick with print, fine. But that doesn't mean we have to stand by and let the retailers actively impede digital distribution. If they maintain their position largely because they place roadblocks in the path of digital, what does that really say? It's time for things to evolve.

    There is a perfectly good distribution channel that can remain functional and keep the comics flowing during the pandemic, why not use it? Why do we have to capitulate to the retailers demands, and damage the livelihoods of the creatives, and inconvenience readers? Does it suck for the shops affected? sure. Might some of them close? it's possible. But that goes for a lot of businesses right now, I don't think barring digital distribution would change that outcome very much, I think the fans and the talent deserve consideration as well, and I think it's past time that we stopped treating the physical retailers like they are all that matters, and impeding digital distribution in their favor. What matters is that the publishers create comics, and get them into readers hands, how shouldn't really matter. Comic shops will not go away entirely, if vinyl records are still being made today, I think it's a safe bet that comics will not vanish. They may become fewer in number, they may have to devote themselves more towards trades and merch, but they'll still be around. But I have been digital only for years, why should i be penalized because of the physical side of things?

    anyway, i got notice from Comixology that my Marvel subscriptions are due for delivery on Wednesday, it's possible it was an automated email that is in error, but... This article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ndemic-1286991 also seems to suggest that Marvel will be going forward digitally for at least some of their books, but hard to say how reliable their info is at the moment. And this was nearly a week ago, but I get a print subscription for my niece, and the people at Midtown seemed to be talking like those would continue as well, I am pretty sure Marvel ships those to Midtown directly, rather than going through Diamond, (hence the 40% discount for subscriptions, basically eliminating Diamond's cut) so... Combined with the payment extension they have offered Diamond (which can be extended to the retailers, if Diamond is smart) I think that is a good way to move forward. I mean what are the retailers gonna do if DC (which is without a printer so digital is kind of their only option right now) and Marvel go digital for a couple months? cancel all the orders for their books? Yeah, eliminating 90% of their product will really help them get back on their feet afterwards "Oh, sorry, no X-Men, we only carry indies now..."
    Last edited by Raye; 03-28-2020 at 02:42 AM.

  9. #249
    Astonishing Member Raye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Except...being what is it and what it's known for and expected...i don't see any of the publications going black and white and on newsprint.
    Marvel and DC certainly aren't going to suddenly or even eventually start cutting out colourists whose jobs are their bread and butter.

    They can certainly produce a Manga-like volume but after the the original print has been in publication...like a trade but in blk/wht on newsprint.

    There are other more immediate measures they can adopt to lessen costs and production values while maintaining product integrity while not devaluing the creatives involved.

    BTW..How much Manga artists and writers are paid to produce on the level they do?

    And would the big name writers and artists settle for that drop in earnings?
    And let's say it's more economical to hire lesser-know, less-experienced writers and artists...how many of us would continue to read what could potentially be "substandard" stories with "sub-standard" art? Not me.
    Just went back and read through the rest of the thread, and I actually like the anthology idea, for when shops can re-open. I don't think going black and white on newsprint is really the answer, because I don't think fans would be happy with a downgrade there, and a lot of the art is created with colour in mind and sometimes does not read well in black and white, though. But Marvel has done anthology collections before. They put some out in the early 2000's, when they were kind of trying to get in on the manga gravy train, but they were in colour, same size as most magazines (they were sold on newsstands), and they came out several months after the single issues inside them saw print. I still have some of them. I don't think it was sustainable, or they'd still be doing it, but as a way to play catchup for people who don't want to do digital, it could be a way to go. the publishers may have to take a bit of a hit on profits, in order to keep them reasonably priced, but if you collect 2-3 issues each of a few books in a similar corner of the universe (so like an X-Men book or two, Avengers book, street level book, Thor/Conan/fantasy one, etc) as a one stop catch up and then back to business as usual the next month kind of deal, could work. I know collectors may not like this, because it would be hard to sort them into a collection, and all, so maybe have the single issues available as well, but for readers, that could be a good way to catch people up.

  10. #250
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,349

    Default

    I think the big problem is, if books are still available on the direct market but not available in stores, no one will buy the books that have been ordered for the stores. If they're all delayed, everyone will buy them when they become available.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  11. #251
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,791

    Default

    You mean "still available on the digital market" - the direct market IS the stores.

    And Raye's right. The primary responsibility of publishers isn't to keep shops afloat, it's to keep their own staff in work, to keep themselves afloat. If the shops have to lose out, tough luck. Employees and freelance creators take priority.

    For what it's worth though, if there were comics out on Wednesday, wouldn't previews be out by now? AIPT's previews section hasn't had anything added since March 22nd.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  12. #252
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    I think that publishers know that they would lose readers with a digital push, especially now (with the economy sliding in to third world territory).

    As someone who despises digital comics, I am fine with this.
    Current pull-file:
    Iron Man 2020
    2020 misc (assorted one-shots and minis)
    Transformers
    Transformers: Galaxies
    X-Force
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

  13. #253
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    I think that publishers know that they would lose readers with a digital push, especially now (with the economy sliding in to third world territory).

    As someone who despises digital comics, I am fine with this.
    Current pull-file:
    Iron Man 2020
    2020 misc (assorted one-shots and minis)
    Transformers
    Transformers: Galaxies
    X-Force
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

  14. #254
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    That The Hollywood Reporter article posted by Raye is very insteresting. And very telling.

    Marvel Entertainment and DC declined to comment on their plans. Sources close to Marvel have suggested that the publisher might offer a limited number of releases digitally, but that it didn’t intend to release the full range of material originally planned for April 1.
    Marvel and DC being the only publishers refusing to officially release a statement while pretty much every other publisher out there is doing and saying what the retailers expect them to kind of speaks volumes, tbh. It seems like they know what they want to do, but they won’t say it ‘cause they don’t want to upset people. It’s kind of like Marvel’s tactic when they cancel a book and don’t tell readers until they figure out it’s missing from the solicitations, LOL.

    As for the rumor, I believe it. They may delay some stuff here and there, but I will not be surprised to find out some books will get a digital release.

  15. #255
    Fantastic Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That The Hollywood Reporter article posted by Raye is very insteresting. And very telling.



    Marvel and DC being the only publishers refusing to officially release a statement while pretty much every other publisher out there is doing and saying what the retailers expect them to kind of speaks volumes, tbh. It seems like they know what they want to do, but they won’t say it ‘cause they don’t want to upset people. It’s kind of like Marvel’s tactic when they cancel a book and don’t tell readers until they figure out it’s missing from the solicitations, LOL.

    As for the rumor, I believe it. They may delay some stuff here and there, but I will not be surprised to find out some books will get a digital release.
    True enough. Also, don't mean to repeat myself here, but if that does happen do stores just release multiple issues of the same book at once because of the backlog? Seems like that can quickly lead to a disaster.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •