Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Diamond are the only print distributor, but digital is nothing to do with them - therefore digital exclusive books never show up on Previews World, and have been known to only be announced on their release day, without being solicited earlier. I don't think subscriptions are done by Diamond either, don't the publishers handle that themselves?

So like I said, check marvel.com (and other publisher websites such as dccomics.com) and not Previews World.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-25-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

This is maybe the first major interview anyone at Marvel has done about the Coronavirus. Tom Brevoort is someone I have very mixed feelings about but this is a very sober, insightful, and touching interview and gives you a sense of where Marvel's head is at.

There's also a brilliant observation near the end where Brevoort compares 9/11 to the present crisis and why it's different. Without minimizing the attack, he points out that when the attack happened, it happened, then it stopped and you could deal with the aftermath where Coronavirus is persistent and expanding and doesn't stop, prolonging the effect.

He says that if and when the crisis abates, Marvel might do a response issue like ASM#36v.2 (aka The 9/11 Issue with that famous all-black cover). But not while it's ongoing.

From Reddit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohato
    Word on the street is Marvel is looking to side step their contract with Diamond while diamond is unable to fulfill their obligations (in contract terms). They're contacting LCSs that are still open and offering to direct ship next week's books (and presumably further out)
    Disney owns Hachette Books, so they don't need Diamond any more. And Diamond is in breach of contract. If this is true, Disney's lawyers may be able to end the monopoly!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...2_can_do_this/

The Reddit thread was originally talking about this:
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    From Reddit:

Disney owns Hachette Books, so they don't need Diamond any more. And Diamond is in breach of contract. If this is true, Disney's lawyers may be able to end the monopoly!
    ]
    Is it really smart to potentially get into a potential legal battle for only a few shops that would be able to do mail order for customers? This just seems unnecessary, and also dangerous to the people working at Hachette during this pandemic.

Looks like dc is trying to snag stuck at home kids with dc camp. Not sure how well it will work but they are trying I guess.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...irus-shut-ins/

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Is it really smart to potentially get into a potential legal battle for only a few shops that would be able to do mail order for customers? This just seems unnecessary, and also dangerous to the people working at Hachette during this pandemic.
    I'm wondering if courts are even open for the filing of the civil suits necessary to get the courts to agree Diamond is in breach (I suppose Disney could breach and then deal with the consequences later, but they would have to decide that the breach is less economically risky than waiting). For this, I'm assuming Diamond has an exclusive contract as opposed to just having the only contract.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I doubt temporarily halting shipments due to a lethal pandemic is grounds for lawsuit for a breach of contract.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm wondering if courts are even open for the filing of the civil suits necessary to get the courts to agree Diamond is in breach (I suppose Disney could breach and then deal with the consequences later, but they would have to decide that the breach is less economically risky than waiting). For this, I'm assuming Diamond has an exclusive contract as opposed to just having the only contract.
    Yes courts seems to be open. Because Netflix and Ava won some case over WHen They See Us last week. So they are open in some form.

Ultimate Member

Diamond are the only print distributor, but digital is nothing to do with them - therefore digital exclusive books never show up on Previews World, and have been known to only be announced on their release day, without being solicited earlier. I don't think subscriptions are done by Diamond either, don't the publishers handle that themselves?

So like I said, check marvel.com (and other publisher websites such as dccomics.com) and not Previews World.
    Marvel seems to have Midtown do theirs. I have a subscription to Miles and they always arrive with a list of books by Marvel and Midtown is listed as the shipper.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

From Reddit:

The Reddit thread was originally talking about this:
    That would work, but would be pretty dumb considering a lot of shops will be closed and foot traffic is extremely low for those that're still open.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We have a new sign Marvel may pause digital releases next week, they are telling Newsarama doctor aphra #1 will not come out as a digital exclusive: https://www.newsarama.com/49590-luca...-it-s-not.html

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I doubt temporarily halting shipments due to a lethal pandemic is grounds for lawsuit for a breach of contract.
    My thoughts on this as well.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    We have a new sign Marvel may pause digital releases next week, they are telling Newsarama doctor aphra #1 will not come out as a digital exclusive: https://www.newsarama.com/49590-luca...-it-s-not.html
    OTOH, BleedingCool is reporting that both Marvel and DC are telling their freelancers to keep working as usual, that they’re still getting paid and they shouldn’t worry. They also corroborated with the Reddit rumor that Marvel considered direct shipping:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...irus-pandemic/

Even if we don’t get any new comics next week, I feel like the Big Two are already planning a way to resume their publication soon enough, ‘cause it doesn’t sound like they think the entire industry is going on an indefinite pause if they’re telling freelancers to keep working and that they’re still getting paid. They’re obviously expecting to make money somehow.

So What Happens To Comics Next Wednesday? April Fool?
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...ay-april-fool/
    One commenter says that both DC and Marvel are still doing direct subscriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bain Show
    I've received word via chat that my direct subscribed titles from Marvel and DC will arrive as normal for the month of April. Those are already printed and have been processed. This includes Batman and Detective Comics.

So I should have Batman #92 and #93 next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He says that if and when the crisis abates, Marvel might do a response issue like ASM#36v.2 (aka The 9/11 Issue with that famous all-black cover). But not while it's ongoing.
    Ugh........
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest