Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I hope it's not, but Marvel Comics is a part of Disney which is also hurting (take a look at their stock) right now as well. If/when Disney starts to look for things to cut hopefully they don't start with comics.
    I've been concerned about Marvel since Disney bought it. I thought there could be a problem when superhero movies stopped making money. Now both movies and comics have stopped making money. I don't like this at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I've been concerned about Marvel since Disney bought it. I thought there could be a problem when superhero movies stopped making money. Now both movies and comics have stopped making money. I don't like this at all.
    You know Disney isn't a poor household living paycheck to paycheck, right?

I know this is a worrisome, uncertain time but if there's one thing you really don't have to worry about is big corporations tanking. They'll survive this, believe me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I think that the comics industry was heading for another crash anyway, this virus just rapidly accelerated the decline. New ideas and new business models are needed if the comics industry is to survive in some form. When the dust settles it may not even be Marvel or DC at the top of the heap anymore. That is unless Manga just seizes the opportunity and outright replaces comics as the defacto source of entertainment for American readers.
    Spoiler alert: when the dust settles on this, the Big Two will still be the Big Two.

Don't forget theme parks. Disney also had to close all it's theme parks as well due to the corona virus. Theme parks are a major source of cash.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I’m not going to get anymore shipments of comics into Australia from the US after this week, for a month, maybe longer! Why is that? Do the flight crews have to be quarantined when they land in Australia?

Comics? Perhaps. The movies will go right back to making money as soon as the virus is dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Spoiler alert: when the dust settles on this, the Big Two will still be the Big Two.
    But will there be any direct market stores to sell to?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I’m not going to get anymore shipments of comics into Australia from the US after this week, for a month, maybe longer! Why is that? Do the flight crews have to be quarantined when they land in Australia?
    If their distributor is "Diamond", there will be no inventory in the warehouses and they are not excepting anymore. Partially due to a story about drivers still working even though they are sick and the virus can stay active on surfaces for days. I guess they don't want to take boxes into the warehouse since they are not supplying essential goods.

Astonishing Member

Actually Disney's stock has gone up recently due to streaming:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/355474...side-nathanson

And really this virus will change the entertainment industry completely, not just Marvel or Disney. Do you Marvel would be in a better position if it wasn't bought by Disney and dealing with the fall out from this virus on its own.

I think this will further the death of comic book stores and the move to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

And really this virus will change the entertainment industry completely, not just Marvel or Disney. Do you Marvel would be in a better position if it wasn't bought by Disney and dealing with the fall out from this virus on its own.

I think this will further the death of comic book stores and the move to digital.
    THere are some rumblings that Apple is gonna make a play for Disney again. With Disney trading lower than it has in a while, Apple may try to buy it up.

Well Disney is going to borrow 6b.

https://money.yahoo.com/walt-disney-...165031755.html

They had just made toy story and star wars lands and was working on remaking epcot, plus the tron and gotg coaster, ratatouille ride, upcoming mary poppins ride and a cocoa area in epcot, plus the overseas park and had a ship shaped star wars hotel in the works and now the park forums are worried half of these won't get made.

They also bought fox over universal and bought head stocks in hulu and the whole uk sky thing as well. Dsney spent alot of money these last few years. Don't forget they have been trying to catch up with harry potter at universal and that's why we got star wars land. On the ironic side Disney had over 7 billion dollar films last year and lost more then that in this last few months!

Still it's Disney so i'll know they will bounce back like they did in the 80s.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I hope it's not, but Marvel Comics is a part of Disney which is also hurting (take a look at their stock) right now as well. If/when Disney starts to look for things to cut hopefully they don't start with comics.
    Disney is hurting like everyone else. And if anything, they’ll be one of the first to recover from this, because they have the kind of influence and success necessary. People are not gonna stop going to their parks, watching their movies/shows or buying their merchandising forever, you know. If anything, Marvel is safer with Disney than if it was a smaller, independent company. Also, Marvel Comics doesn’t exist in a vacuum. They are the breeding ground for the movies, shows, games and merchandising that gives Disney billions of dollars. Why would Disney cut the source of all of this? Marvel Comics won’t ever go down unless all of Marvel and Disney go down along with it, and that’s very, very unlikely to happen.

The movies haven’t stopped making money. Hollywood stopped putting out movies temporarily. Once things go back to normal, then we can assess if the movies will still be making money or not. And if I had to take a guess, they will. I can’t imagine Phase 4 opening with Black Widow and being a flop.

And before anyone brings up Birds Of Prey being a financial disappointment, that’s mostly on Warner, not Disney. We all know DC films haven’t had the same consistent track record as Marvel. Last year DC had huge success with Joker and a lukewarm reception for Shazam!, while Marvel crushed with all three of their releases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

Disney was smart to get into the streaming business when they did. It’s the one thing that’s not crashing and burning right now. I’m curious to see what Marvel’s approach to their digital platforms will be during this time.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-25-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

What do you think will happen to physical comics?

Does anyone know if they will do new releases in digital format.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you for the explanation This sounds like a sound idea.
    Except...being what is it and what it's known for and expected...i don't see any of the publications going black and white and on newsprint.
    Marvel and DC certainly aren't going to suddenly or even eventually start cutting out colourists whose jobs are their bread and butter.

They can certainly produce a Manga-like volume but after the the original print has been in publication...like a trade but in blk/wht on newsprint.

There are other more immediate measures they can adopt to lessen costs and production values while maintaining product integrity while not devaluing the creatives involved.

BTW..How much Manga artists and writers are paid to produce on the level they do?

And would the big name writers and artists settle for that drop in earnings?
    And let's say it's more economical to hire lesser-know, less-experienced writers and artists...how many of us would continue to read what could potentially be "substandard" stories with "sub-standard" art? Not me.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-25-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!