Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

So... does anyone know when they're going to start selling again? I thought 1/3 of their books would be on hold. When does that start? When can I read my Empyre???

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Ask Covid-19...?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Gotham High would have been the perfect show to air after Smallville, unfortunately it's nineteen years too late lol.
    Well the Raven graphic novel sold well and it seems like CBR is suggesting some of the things I said the industry should be doing to thrive in the future:

https://www.cbr.com/diamond-shutdown...-comics-model/

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Well the Raven graphic novel sold well and it seems like CBR is suggesting some of the things I said the industry should be doing to thrive in the future:

https://www.cbr.com/diamond-shutdown...-comics-model/
    This was apparently written by someone who is just a fan, and hasn't educated himself about the business, and is not in the business. He doesn't address the importance of the collector market, and also seems ignorant of the main financial reason why most comic publishers still have floppies. Floppies allow the publishers to pay the creators on a monthly basis. Most creators can NOT go for six months without a paycheck.

Also most of his 'reasons' for why publishers should dump floppies for trade are invalidated by the fact that the publishers already do all those things. Almost all of the publishers already HAVE trades and GN in all the same markets that Kid / YA OGN, and use distributors other than Diamond to do so.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    So... does anyone know when they're going to start selling again? I thought 1/3 of their books would be on hold. When does that start? When can I read my Empyre???
    No telling.

They are cutting books originally scheduled for May and June, I believe.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Hopefully next week they just say fuck it and release, or at least give a statement about the overall plan. Has their been an official statement? Or are they just gonna keep waiting the day before and announce no new comics this week.

Astonishing Member

How long do think it'll be until Marvel starts introducing pandemic plotlines?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    At least 3 years so the sting of all the real deaths doesn't leave a bad taste.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This was apparently written by someone who is just a fan, and hasn't educated himself about the business, and is not in the business. He doesn't address the importance of the collector market, and also seems ignorant of the main financial reason why most comic publishers still have floppies. Floppies allow the publishers to pay the creators on a monthly basis. Most creators can NOT go for six months without a paycheck.
    That is not Marvel's issue.

Because what do you do about books store won't sell because of who is on the cover-especially those of POC?
    Or from certain companies? I don't see Alterna books in comic book stores.
    From issue 101 to 192-I didn't see Savage Dragon in stores.

Everybody knows what they are getting into when joining this industry. If you CHOOSE to not have another means of making money-who is that on?

That is what a contract is for.

Some of those OGN folks are compensated before that book is out.

That book is assured a SPOT on the shelf or in inventory.

That includes every book the gators and entitlement fans don't like.

It's called bypassing the problem.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Also most of his 'reasons' for why publishers should dump floppies for trade are invalidated by the fact that the publishers already do all those things. Almost all of the publishers already HAVE trades and GN in all the same markets that Kid / YA OGN, and use distributors other than Diamond to do so.
    Is the collector's market enough to sustain the industry as it is? Heck didn't over-speculation in the collector's market cause the comic book crash in 1996?

Also, don't floppies at almost 4 dollars per issue price a lot of customers out of this hobby? Manga and YA graphic novels cost less than Marvel and DC trade paperbacks and it seems like they are making money, more money than DC and Marvel are.

It seems like an entertainment business that has more expensive products than the competition and is doing nothing to bring in new customers, is not a healthy business.

Ultimate Member

Is the collector's market enough to sustain the industry as it is? Heck didn't over-speculation in the collector's market cause the comic book crash in 1996?

Also, don't floppies at almost 4 dollars per issue price a lot of customers out of this hobby? Manga and YA graphic novels cost less than Marvel and DC trade paperbacks and it seems like they are making money, more money than DC and Marvel are.

It seems like an entertainment business that has more expensive products than the competition and is doing nothing to bring in new customers, is not a healthy business.
    Yes it did cause that crash.

Also what good is a collector's market that cherry picks?

To have a collector's item-said item has to be used more than once and often to increase it's value.

Lets take Punchline at DC-why would I spend more than cover price for her first appearance? Unless she is getting a tv show or movie or get pushed to Supergirl let alone Wonder Woman or Catwoman status.
    It's not worth it.

Because those first appearances can never gain value because Marvel & DC do something called MULTIPLE printings.

Because Diamond not comic book stores sell out those two do multiple printings. Not to mention those lovely variants.

And lets talk a lack of usage.How much is that book worth if said person does not appear in anything? Now here comes agendas. Looking at Dc again-Bumblebee & Vixen's first appearances have never seen reprints. yet it's a battle to do anything in comics with them. So you can't increase the value of their first appearances.

Or you get the nonsense that Ike did with Carol Danvers & Black Panther.

The only books worth anything are those with low runs or no reprints/trades. Right now that's Milestone (especially the last issues of Icon) and depending where you live anything with Static. Along with some of Image and other company books-if they sniff bigger tv and movie deals.

The collector's market does not help Marvel. Marvel killed it themselves. Only way to fire it back up is to use all those still in limbo guys-especially those of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Hopefully next week they just say fuck it and release, or at least give a statement about the overall plan. Has their been an official statement? Or are they just gonna keep waiting the day before and announce no new comics this week.
    Probably. Last I saw, Marvel's official announcement is that they are working on a plan. I seriously doubt they are in any hurry to announce any specifics, which makes sense, since no one can predict when the various state mandated shutdown will end.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Never, would be great.

The collector's market has been sustaining the industry for decades. Collecting is NOT the same as speculating.

I'm sure the rising price of the floppies do affect some customers. But collectors are the ones who are more likely to continue buying, i.e. why they are carrying the industry. I've already explained that Manga and YA/kid GN isn't an apt comparison. If you love eating blueberries, you aren't going to stop eating blueberries, and start eating bananas, instead, because bananas are cheaper.

You don't remember DCs "Holding the line at 2.99" program? Marvel's comics were more expensive than DCs for a couple of years, and they still sold better than DC, plus they made more money than DC. Marvel comic buyers want MARVEL comics, not just anything that's cheap.

How do you know Marvel isn't doing anything to bring in new customers? Marvel does FCBD and gives away comics digitally, all the time. They gave away comics with movie tickets. They put their trades, including special digest editions, on book shelves and libraries. They have a comics line aimed at kids.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is not Marvel's issue.

Because what do you do about books store won't sell because of who is on the cover-especially those of POC?
    Or from certain companies? I don't see Alterna books in comic book stores.
    From issue 101 to 192-I didn't see Savage Dragon in stores.

Everybody knows what they are getting into when joining this industry. If you CHOOSE to not have another means of making money-who is that on?

That is what a contract is for.

Some of those OGN folks are compensated before that book is out.

That book is assured a SPOT on the shelf or in inventory.

That includes every book the gators and entitlement fans don't like.

It's called bypassing the problem.
    I really don't know what most of this post is about.

I said CREATORS can't wait 6 months to get paid. I didn't say anything about Marvel publishers waiting to get paid.

And no, not everyone knows what they are getting into in this industry, at all. That's why there's the stereotype of young creators getting ripped off in their contracts, etc. Publishers are about getting the best deal for themselves, NOT about making sure their creators get the best deal.

??? So, your contention is that all creators should be holding TWO jobs? That if they CHOOSE to work in comics, they have to have another stream of revenue?

Yes, a work for hire contract, which pays for pages WHEN DELIVERED, not when the book comes out. I can't think of any US comic publisher that pays IN ADVANCE. It's not like it's a contract that can be negotiated by every creator hired. If that were the case, I'm sure they'd all be getting paid more AND getting benefits.

And I don't think Marvel actually does that many OGN, so it's sort of a moot point.

Marvel should do stories in response to Covid-chan, any publisher that wants to reflect our world should, but the hope is that they would be smart enough to realize that the problem was not some unforseen biblical plague, but the incompetence of government(s). And that can drive real stories.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate