Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

So is it going to Affect comics shipping

I know people like to go to the comic store,But i think it would be better online for the next few weeks I wonder whats going on at midtown comics
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.

My local comic shop is currently cutting back hours ( now closed Monday and closing earlier on Wednesday and Thursday ). Those are the least busy times at the store and they said they'll be keeping the place as clean as possible. I was going to go next Friday to pick up my stash ( 4 weeks worth ) so who knows how things will be by then. The county I live in currently has 4 people that tested positive.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    So is it going to Affect comics shipping

I know people like to go to the comic store,But i think it would be better online for the next few weeks I wonder whats going on at midtown comics
    I know this it is a comic forum but, still, people have have their priorities a bit mixed up…

Unless thinking of comic reading as a bit of an addiction…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I know this it is a comic forum but, still, people have have their priorities a bit mixed up…

Unless thinking of comic reading as a bit of an addiction…
    Just because myself and countless others are forced to choose income over the safety of ourselves and others due to the failures of our capitalist state maintained by politicians who don't care for the well being of those who ironically put them in power doesn't mean I'm gonna miss Empyre!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Is there a really good online store?

Uh oh. If things get worse, and comic shops are banned from opening, it could mean the destruction of the Direct Market.
    https://www.newsarama.com/49449-comi...istancing.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Niffleheim

Confused. Are comic book stores and the direct market even the same thing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Uh oh. If things get worse, and comic shops are banned from opening, it could mean the destruction of the Direct Market.
    I called it page 1, this virus is not something the direct market is prepared to handle. With razor thin margins there's simply no financial buffer to absorb this kind of shock. Of course, that's not to say Marvel and DC are in immediate trouble, if they can hasten the shift to digital sales they might just survive this.

More virus story based crossovers!?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I didn't even think of FCBD.

I know there are so many kther things to worry about, but it's the small things in life that keep us going.
    To be honest it will probably have lasting affects on anything crowd relatedbfor a couple years. even after quarantine the fear and panic are now so set in that it will be hard not have it in your mind the next time you go to theatre or comicon. on the upside I think now would probably be the best time to invest in vr companies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Confused. Are comic book stores and the direct market even the same thing?
    Yes, they are. Direct market means distributed by Diamond to comic stores, as opposed to being in supermarkets and newsagents like they used to be decades ago (in the UK, comics on the Newsstand are still common, such as Beano, 2000AD, and Panini's Marvel Collectors Editions).

The problem is, if stores are banned from opening or cannot get deliveries, they could be forced out of business. If that's widespread, then the direct market as we know it is toast.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

While I don’t wish for anyone to go out of business and people lose their jobs, I can’t say I’m sad at the possibility that this could lead to a big publisher like Marvel valuing digital/direct-to-consumer platforms more. I don’t think the direct market should be over, but I’m not a fan of the overdependence on it. I would, for once, like to enjoy a smaller book without having to worry about it being cancelled due to not enough pre-orders on comic shops.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    While I don’t wish for anyone to go out of business and people lose their jobs, I can’t say I’m sad at the possibility that this could lead to a big publisher like Marvel valuing digital/direct-to-consumer platforms more. I don’t think the direct market should be over, but I’m not a fan of the overdependence on it. I would, for once, like to enjoy a smaller book without having to worry about it being cancelled due to not enough pre-orders on comic shops.
    Unfortunately just like the video game market, the comic book market hasn't fully adopted digital purchasing so they still make most of their income from physical buying.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I think COVID-19 will kill off or severely reduce to the point of oblivion, physical sales. It's going to be the time when comics became primarily digital.

Until now, publishers only reported sales of physical copies to the market and kept digital to themselves, now digital will be the main thing.

I also think that comics can maybe revive during this outbreak, because the fact is the end of movie-theaters and the inevitable drying up of content on streaming and television means that inevitably people will turn to reading, and that means they will turn to comics again.

So I think you could see a COVID-19 bubble of people taking comics seriously again. Because it takes a lot fewer people in a fewer rooms, and smaller time to make a comic than a movie or a TV show.

BANNED

Oh please... it's not too late to move Black Widow, New Mutants was due out a month earlier and got postponed.
    Those movies are gonna come out on Disney+ and Hulu or whatever streaming the Mouse owns.

The virus is going to kill theatrical releases and make streaming and TV or digital download the main thing.

This is it. The end of cinema thing that people always talked about. Here it is. Also the end of physical releases of books and comics. Will it come back, who knows? When the crisis is over, it will become a museum thing or a niche thing for sure, but it will never again be the heart of our culture and society again.

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    More virus story based crossovers!?
    To be honest, less. When you have a real pandemic that disrupts society so totally, the last thing people want is to look for new fictional versions of it in contemporary media. I mean imagine reading a pandemic in the Marvel Universe and that ends because Reed Richards or Iron Man developed a vaccine in a week and reversed course. That would be irresponsible not least because the current POTUS who is entirely defined by stuff he saw on TV thinks that life will follow the plot of a disaster movie, forgetting that genres aren't a thing.

Past storylines that dealt with viruses in comics that might still have an interest, in the same way CONTAGION is absolutely the movie of the moment. At the very least when this crisis abates, there's going to be a grand relaunch and Marvel time will move forward so that the Fantastic Four spaceflight now happens the year after COVID-19.

In the case of DC, I kinda thing that writers and others will change the Batcave so that it has fewer bats because after causing so many viruses in real life, including this one, bats are no longer nocturnal and spooky and cool in that gothic way. They are plague carrying flying rodents, and people are gonna want to shut down the colony of Bats underneath Wayne Manor.