Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Why wouldn't the LCBS treat digital like a competing store? LCBS are only asking for a level playing field. What barriers are between the internet and the industry?

Probably because there is no money to made there. There aren't as many LCBS as their are restaurants, nor is there a 'tradition' of take-out. Part of the appeal of a LCBS is the interaction and community of the store. You don't get that with takeout. If getting your comics brought to is your thing, you are probably doing mail order.

Some people keep complaining about LCBS and print comics, and saying they are dead, but they make up 90% of the comic sales. Digital only makes up 10%. That tells me that LCBS are doing something right and are successful, and digital is NOT. They don't operate with any of the disadvantages that LCBS do, so why aren't they outselling LCBS? If digital is so great, why can't it fully support the comic book industry?
    “A level playing field”? What a load of crap, that’s not at all what you’re demanding. What you have right now is a level playing field, digital costs the same as physical and releases the same day. You’re demanding that the industry stack the deck in your favor. Delaying digital, not collecting arcs in trades, all of that is aimed at helping the LCBS not the industry as a whole. There are tons of successful books that sell awful issue by issue but sell great in trades. Digital is already crippled by LCBS forcing Marvel and DC to keep prices the same for digital releases. Besides the LCBS was dying before all this, the coronavirus is simply the asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-13-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “A level playing field”? What a load of crap, that’s not at all what you’re demanding. What you have right now is a level playing field, digital costs the same as physical and releases the same day. You’re demanding that the industry stack the deck in your favor. Delaying digital, not collecting arcs in trades, all of that is aimed at helping the LCBS not the industry as a whole. There are tons of successful books that sell awful issue by issue but sell great in trades. Digital is already crippled by LCBS forcing Marvel and DC to keep prices the same for digital releases. Besides the LCBS was dying before all this, the coronavirus is simply the asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs.
    First off, I am not demanding anything. And neither are the LCBS. The list that was linked is ideas they think would help them post pandemic.

Second, try reading MY post. I specifically stated that I thought delaying digital and not collecting all issues in trades were bad ideas and unfair.

Third, helping LCBS DOES help the industry at a whole. There will NOT be an industry as we know it, if the LCBS system goes under.

TONS? Really? How does three or four titles counts as a TON? Breveroot has repeatedly said, with a FEW exceptions, most of Marvel's trades sell at the same level as they did in floppy.

Oh, so you aren't advocating a level playing field at all. You want Digital to have a price advantage over print. Like I said, dgital isn't really a better seller, cause it can't compete equally.

I don't think LCBS were going extinct before the pandemic. But like every other small business out there, they are going to have some problems surviving through this.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    The digital market share would rise if they didn't have to pander to LCBS. There would be digital comics released right now if it wasn't for LCBS' complains. Digital prices would be lower if it wasn't for LCBS' complains. They can't make use of any of digital comics advantages as long they listen to shops who in their own words target a completely "different audience".
    So, basically, you want the publishers to "pander" to the 10% digital market so they'll "rise." So, the only advantage of digital is this false idea of a unfair price cut?

I've never seen any business that would support their competitor getting a price advantage over them. In fact, there's a history of book business successfully suing publishers who don't sell their books fairly.

And no. There would NOT be new comic books available on digital now, because there wouldn't be enough of a market to support the cost of making comics. And I seriously doubt there would be a price cut, either. Major part of why comics are so expensive now, is the market has shrunk. If you shrink the market 90%, the price would have to increase to make that up.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Meh I tried to get the "Local Comic Experience" a couple times wasn't really worth it store owners were a-holes no one seemed interested an even basic communication let alone casual conversation over the books and ultimately I'm just a casual reader, wasn't worth the effort in truth. Now I just usually go to barnes and noble went I want a physical copy.
    Can't say I'm surprised a store owner would be a a-hole to you.

I know some folks have had bad experiences at LCBS, but I've been shopping at LCBS for 35 years, all over the US and I don't recall any negative experience. Quite the opposite. Now, some stores were cleaner and more organized then others, and some were more friendly than others, but in almost all of them, the staff knew my name and engaged in whatever conversations I might start. I, like many others, could easy fill up this bingo card Marvel just put up.

Graphic novels and young readers trades still coming out but not with diamond.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/...siness-goes-on

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So, basically, you want the publishers to "pander" to the 10% digital market so they'll "rise." So, the only advantage of digital is this false idea of a unfair price cut?

I've never seen any business that would support their competitor getting a price advantage over them. In fact, there's a history of book business successfully suing publishers who don't sell their books fairly.

And no. There would NOT be new comic books available on digital now, because there wouldn't be enough of a market to support the cost of making comics. And I seriously doubt there would be a price cut, either. Major part of why comics are so expensive now, is the market has shrunk. If you shrink the market 90%, the price would have to increase to make that up.
    How is the price cut unfair? There no middle man companies have to pay to get the books to stores and there's no printing cost neither. Those factors allow for digital to be cheaper. If you think that's the only advantage you are dead wrong. I have small living quarters so filling the limited space with a stack of books eating it up ain't practical. I also find reading comics on my phone or tablet more convenient than a book.

That 10% would be higher if LCBS didn't handicap digital every step in the way. Weather you want to admit or not, digital is the best chance of actually attracting new readership to this medium. Direct market is way too niche and this crisis is proving that it ain't profitable enough to have cash reserves.

There needs to be new comics for digital because it's the only way forward at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

An excellent time to delay them or stop collecting stories!

Ultimate Member

Why wouldn't the LCBS treat digital like a competing store? LCBS are only asking for a level playing field.
    So LCBS are demanding a level playing field by delaying digital and even trades from coming out before that floppy?
    Like Oprah said in the Color Purpler "He** NO." On the grounds of how many of our books did many of yall decide to NOT sell.

What barriers are between the internet and the industry?
    There is no level playing field and hasn't been for YEARS.

It's called Wal-Mart, Amazon, Half Price Books, Barnes & Nobles, Ebay, Game Stop, Movie Trading Post & Target's ONLINE presence.
    Because what is in a comic book store can be bought CHEAPER at those places.

The level playing field can not happen. Because for that to happen every trade, funko pop, action figure and statute would have to be comic book store EXCLUSIVES.
    No company in their right mind would agree to that. Comic book stores would LOSE funko pop & action figures & TRADES.

The delay is not helping in making a level playing field. DELAY those trades if you want to. Get closer to Labor Day if you want to. Guess who goes into sale season? Especially around BLACK FRIDAY. Buy 2 get 1 free really works around that time and Target, Amazon & Barnes & Nobles are EXPERTS.

Why isn't there a DoorDash / Grubhub / UberEats for comic books?
    Cost prohibited. My store is doing that now and they have to limit it to a certain radius from the store. Because I think it's just the owner and his husband doing the deliveries for $5. To get your stuff mailed it's $8.
    The location where they are at-is within the range of 1 community college satellite campus, 1 charter school and 10 of the public schools in my city. 2 are high schools. That is one side. The other side has nothing but hospitals, the jail house, hotels, airport and bulk warehouses.

I am 12 miles away myself. My school is 6 miles. They got customers from Mansfield, Ferris, Arlington, Richardson and Fort Worth (Texas). That would be too much for a store with 3 (4 when she comes home from college) employees.
    This would be the same issue for the other 5 stores in my area. Except one because they share retail space with Jason Deli & Burger Fi-who do delivery. In fact they are in a retail area and near SMU University. I just think customers living too far would be the issue for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    How is the price cut unfair? There no middle man companies have to pay to get the books to stores and there's no printing cost neither. Those factors allow for digital to be cheaper. If you think that's the only advantage you are dead wrong. I have small living quarters so filling the limited space with a stack of books eating it up ain't practical. I also find reading comics on my phone or tablet more convenient than a book.

That 10% would be higher if LCBS didn't handicap digital every step in the way. Weather you want to admit or not, digital is the best chance of actually attracting new readership to this medium. Direct market is way too niche and this crisis is proving that it ain't profitable enough to have cash reserves.

There needs to be new comics for digital because it's the only way forward at this point.
    I think it'd be more likely that the people who would have to buy digital would just use the sites that post the scans. I wouldn't buy floppies if they were digital only. I'd either wait for trades or hope comixology would expand its unlimited subscription to include all comics for a flat rate. Probably higher than what it is now but comparable to my normal spending amounts.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Graphic novels make up around 3/4 of the comics market share, according to ICv2. Comic shops saw a decrease in sales of graphic novels last year, while they were up in the book channel. Now only graphic novels are coming out during the crisis, and the only market able to publish them is the book channel (and digital). If that's not a writing on the wall...

It's going to be interesting to see the data from the ICv2 Conference this year, assuming we have one.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-13-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I think it'd be more likely that the people who would have to buy digital would just use the sites that post the scans. I wouldn't buy floppies if they were digital only. I'd either wait for trades or hope comixology would expand its unlimited subscription to include all comics for a flat rate. Probably higher than what it is now but comparable to my normal spending amounts.
    People who go to scan sites were never going to be costumers. Worrying about them is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    People who go to scan sites were never going to be costumers. Worrying about them is moot.
    Im saying the LCS customers will turn into scan site users and the sales for digital wont see much of a change.

Of course they are still coming out -- at least in places that are still open and can sell books. There isn't an exclusivity with Diamond for most graphic novels and collected trades, i.e. books, -- except for Image, and maybe Dynamite I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    An excellent time to delay them or stop collecting stories!
    Most of Marvel's collected trades are already delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Graphic novels make up around 3/4 of the comics market share, according to ICv2. Comic shops saw a decrease in sales of graphic novels last year, while they were up in the book channel. Now only graphic novels are coming out during the crisis, and the only market able to publish them is the book channel (and digital). If that's not a writing on the wall...

It's going to be interesting to see the data from the ICv2 Conference this year, assuming we have one.

It's not writing on the wall, for Marvel, because graphic novels / trades don't make up 3/4 of Marvel's revenues. Honestly, I don't think trades usually are big sellers at LCBS. Now, during the pandemic and new comic shutdown, of course, they are going to big sellers for everyone.

Sales data for this year is largely going to be irrelevant.

Most of Marvel's collected trades are already delayed.
    I know. It was sarcasm because the proposal is stupid regardless of when it would be happening.