Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/49957-marv...digitally.html

No comics next week too. While DC managed to sneak in some new comics towards the end of the month, Marvel will go the entirety of it without publishing anything. Is that a first in history?
    Probably - at least since the 1950s. Some trades, and one of Panini's Astonishing Spider-Man mags made it out though (however, Panini UK is now also skipping a month, due to most WHSmith stores being closed).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member Cindy's Addiction's Avatar

OMG, the 5th week in a row no new Marvel comics but next week is what's left of DC Comics. I appreciate reading DC but I've been missing on reading newer issues of Marvel's Atlantis Attacks, Aero and Sword Master but what's more importantly the new arc Empyre. I'm trying to have faith and be patient as much I can during the COVID-19 crisis but I wish Marvel comes up with another plan like DC just pulled.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/49957-marv...digitally.html

No comics next week too. While DC managed to sneak in some new comics towards the end of the month, Marvel will go the entirety of it without publishing anything. Is that a first in history?
    I don't think so. But when has most of America ever been closed down by government for a month plus?

DC hasn't gotten any new comics out yet.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 04-24-2020 at 05:01 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Addiction View Post
    OMG, the 5th week in a row no new Marvel comics but next week is what's left of DC Comics. I appreciate reading DC but I've been missing on reading newer issues of Marvel's Atlantis Attacks, Aero and Sword Master but what's more importantly the new arc Empyre. I'm trying to have faith and be patient as much I can during the COVID-19 crisis but I wish Marvel comes up with another plan like DC just pulled.
    DC's "plan" is a hot mess.

I'm glad Marvel (and almost every other publisher except DC) is waiting. It will be better for the entire industry. If Diamond comes through, it should be only another couple of weeks.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    C is what I am talking about, it's a short term fix to a industry that has a lot of problems, IMO. But it would be something and would show a unified front by all the major publishers.
    It would be nice and pleasant, but given the epic levels of unemployment, 50,000 dead, and the furloughs and layoffs of many writers in the comics industry which has already happened or is going to happen, there would be a major question if such an unified front would mean more than a token gesture.

Like if the publishers came together and announced a program guaranteeing comics writers and artists and others some amount of security, health insurance and so on, or if they provided some guarantee that the industry is there for the creators, who are the backbone and lifeblood of the entire medium.

A crossover is best for after-the-Pandemic, during the 'new normal'. Not sure if it will work now though.

DC has more guts than Marvel, pity because marvel has better comics while DC just has Batman and Bendis garbage. Still temporary solution is better than doing nothing, especially since last I checked Corona numbers are still rising opening the economy back up is a terrible idea so we're probably gonna shutdown again, including retailers Precious little Diamond, and will be back to square 1 with a **** load of nada.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-24-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    DC has more guts than Marvel, pity because marvel has better comics while DC just has Batman and Bendis garbage. Still temporary solution is better than doing nothing, especially since last I checked Corona numbers are still rising opening the economy back up is a terrible idea so we're probably gonna shutdown again, including retailers Precious little Diamond, and will be back to square 1 with a **** load of nada.
    LOL! DC hasn't got the guts to stick to any panicked, half baked reaction they pull out of their butts. If DC had guts, then why did they try to HIDE the fact that they were giving 2 giant mail order retailers the upper hand over every other retailer by making them their 'distributors?' If DC is so brave, why are they LYING about cancelling Diamond's orders for the books these two retailers are allegedly going to be selling next week?

DC is clearly afraid and only thinking about themselves.

I really don't understand how you can think it's reasonable to "do nothing" during a government shutdown to fight the corona virus, but can't summon the same patience and empathy for the comic industry. Comic book are NOT an essential industry. People don't need to risk their lives making, distributing or selling comic books.

BANNED

I honestly don't know what to make of the distributor wars. I would love new comics published digitally, but at the same time I empathize with LCS owners and their employees who will be affected. Still if publishing in digital keeps the Pre-Pandemic output in print and allows revenue to creatives and some kind of possibility that they can work and continue to do so...then it would be great.

At the end of the day, the people creating the comics do count as more essential than LCS-owners in my eyes, but I honestly don't know what to do, and all I can say is that in this instance, I am glad this decision isn't in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    LOL! DC hasn't got the guts to stick to any panicked, half baked reaction they pull out of their butts. If DC had guts, then why did they try to HIDE the fact that they were giving 2 giant mail order retailers the upper hand over every other retailer by making them their 'distributors?' If DC is so brave, why are they LYING about cancelling Diamond's orders for the books these two retailers are allegedly going to be selling next week?

I really don't understand how you can think it's reasonable to "do nothing" during a government shutdown to fight the corona virus, but can't summon the same patience and empathy for the comic industry. Comic book are NOT an essential industry. People don't need to risk their lives making, distributing or selling comic books.
    Okay theirs nothing wrong with DC looking after themselves the fact that their the first to pull the trigger shows spine IMO.

Second of all I never said people need to risk their lives to distribute comics so stop projecting. I don't care about physical copies, I don't purchase physical copies, I don't care if physical copies get distributed. The comics are made and can be released at the click of a button at least for the next few months, I would buy them digitally and go about my damn day. That's the safest thing to do until we get back to a new normal but that was nixed due to the griping and moaning of others whom like you, seem to feel this would destroy their fragile little industry. It's adapt or die at this point.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-24-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

DC's "plan" is a hot mess.

I'm glad Marvel (and almost every other publisher except DC) is waiting. It will be better for the entire industry. If Diamond comes through, it should be only another couple of weeks.
    HOW???

If no one is working-what happens once we get passed those books that are completed? Folks stopped working on books in march. If the average book takes 2-4 months like Erick Larson says. If things don't go back to something normal by June. There will be a lag in books being made.

Then what do the crybabies store owners do? Especially if that gap happens between the holy trinity of holidays-October, November & December. Where folks have money for GIFTS.

You seriously think DISNEY is going to accept that? Warner Brothers is not going to accept that.

What makes the crybaby store owners so special? The ones in my city are NOT crying-guess what they are doing-ADAPTING. Having live shopping on Facebook in some cases daily to move products. My store is listing recommend books to replace the new comic list. Guess what they are doing MAKING money.

And this is my sticking point-I should not hear a SINGLE store owner bytch or whine about or refuse to sell whatever book is published by a company. If it was ME-I would gladly call their bluff.

Go ahead and NOT sale Marvel or DC-I so sure crowd fund, gator and Alterna books will make up whatever that store lost in terms of profit. Go ahead and insult the many creators who work for both companies that are fighting to raise money to keep stores open. Show than appreciation for Donnie Cates by not showing his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I honestly don't know what to make of the distributor wars. I would love new comics published digitally, but at the same time I empathize with LCS owners and their employees who will be affected. Still if publishing in digital keeps the Pre-Pandemic output in print and allows revenue to creatives and some kind of possibility that they can work and continue to do so...then it would be great.

At the end of the day, the people creating the comics do count as more essential than LCS-owners in my eyes, but I honestly don't know what to do, and all I can say is that in this instance, I am glad this decision isn't in my hands.
    I sympathize with everyone who's not working right now, but safety comes first and if you're not essential you need to stay closed and file unemployment like every other person in the same situation. However that being said if their's a way for others to continue to thrive and bring in some revenue you shouldn't hinder that it's hard for everyone right now and the selfishness I'm seeing from some of these retailers is where I start to lose whatever compassion I have for their situation.

BANNED

I sympathize with everyone who's not working right now, but safety comes first and if you're not essential you need to stay closed and file unemployment like every other person in the same situation. However that being said if their's a way for others to continue to thrive and bring in some revenue you shouldn't hinder that it's hard for everyone right now and the selfishness I'm seeing from some of these retailers is where I start to lose whatever compassion I have for their situation.
    I agree. It sucks that the card didn't land your way the way it has for those who can go online, but that doesn't mean you should spite the ones who can work in this time.

This isn't a strike after all.

I don't think so. But when has most of America ever been closed down by government for a month plus?

DC hasn't gotten any new comics out yet.
    Yes they have, digitally. Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1, Batman: Gotham Nights #1, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #1, Aquaman: Deep Dives #1, Flash: Fastest Man Alive #1, and DC Super Hero Girls: Infinite Frenemies #1 are all out this week. Tomorrow we get Swamp Thing: New Roots #1, and then from Monday it loops again with the issue 2s (they're weekly). And then on Tuesday the print books resume.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC aren't the ones who are lying. They did cancel with Diamond. Diamond didn't comply! They're clearly in the middle of a spat, Diamond are angry at having their hand forced - they wanted to stay shut until August! No coincidence that they say they're back in May instead the same day that DC announce the two new distributors. They're pissed off that their monopoly got smashed. Hence the petty behaviour like this:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/diam...her-dc-comics/

They removed the GEM highlight from all upcoming DC books, including Three Jokers.

As I said before Diamond furloughed employees, owe money to publishers that should've been paid a month ago, and wanted to close the comic book industry for a far too long FIVE MONTHS. Something is very wrong behind the scenes which this crisis has exposed. Competition is needed, and the shops, and the other publishers, need to get with the program.

And how are people risking lives making comic books? Digital comics can be made entirely from home.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-25-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Same here bro. I appreciate what DC is doing as they are actually trying to do something. They are providing the shake up this industry has needed for decades. I hope succeed with their endeavor.