Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I will happily get infected to get my Empyre. Nothin' comin' between me and that Schiti art.
    An unfortunate name for great art.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    An unfortunate name for great art.
    Issal good homie cuz it's pronounced "Skeety"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Now that Midtown Comics is shutting their doors next week, I cannot go on my plague-filled pilgrimage to get my glorious EMPYRE. In response to the failures of my government, I am now joining the Kree/Skrull Alliance to fight for a better world ruled by my king, Dorrek VIII.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Here's what Dynamite are doing - cutting their July output. They warn of major printing and distribution delays across the industry and that standardised distribution across the USA on the same day will be coming to an end.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...s-coronavirus/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

A Mainstream outlet covers how forced closures will greatly affect the industry
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-shops-1285520

Mighty Member

That's bad news for comic shops like midtown comics and so on.Are you buying them online or buying them in comic shops.When this Corona virus is over.I hope soon then maybe the comic stores will be open

Image Comics Publisher Asks for Retailer Relief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Eric Stephenson has penned an open letter asking other companies to let stores return inventory. Link is below. Here is a taste of the article.

As the comics industry reacts to the social isolation response to the coronavirus, Image Comics publisher and CEO Eric Stephenson has released an open letter about what his company — the third-largest publisher in the U.S. market — is doing to lessen pressure on retailers struggling with reduced traffic to stores and enforced closures. He is also asking other publishers to follow suit.

In normal times, comic book stores must estimate how many issues of each comic they will sell, and pay upfront for inventory from publishers. However, as the coronavirus has dramatically shifted how many customers are coming into shops, Stephenson said Image will allow comic book stores to return orders for the next 60 days.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ndemic-1285287
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    That's bad news for comic shops like midtown comics and so on.Are you buying them online or buying them in comic shops.When this Corona virus is over.I hope soon then maybe the comic stores will be open
    Assuming if the shops can open after this crisis is over. It doesn't seem the major suppliers are interested in helping shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    While I don’t wish for anyone to go out of business and people lose their jobs, I can’t say I’m sad at the possibility that this could lead to a big publisher like Marvel valuing digital/direct-to-consumer platforms more. I don’t think the direct market should be over, but I’m not a fan of the overdependence on it. I would, for once, like to enjoy a smaller book without having to worry about it being cancelled due to not enough pre-orders on comic shops.
    If you a were worried about your smaller books being cancelled before just wait until Marvel sees the sales when they aren't inflated by pre-orders and variant voodoo.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    If you a were worried about your smaller books being cancelled before just wait until Marvel sees the sales when they aren't inflated by pre-orders and variant voodoo.
    Oh, yeah. I am fully aware things are gonna get worse before they can get better. A lot of books published in the near future will be affected. What I’m hoping for is that, once the dust settles, we can have some real change in the industry as a result.

Yeah, DC's Death Metal and Generations events (and those were supposed to lead to an updated continuity, too!), and Marvel's Empyre, X of Swords, and Outlawed lines, will all do worse than expected on the direct market just because people can't get to their shop or the shop can't sell the comics (either because of forced closures, self-isolation, or delivery delays). This could be a bumper sales time for Comixology... or send a lot of traffic to piracy websites. Unless of course, they delay digital comics too (even though those won't be affected by any lockdowns). The publishers will definitely lose money.

July's solicits will be interesting, as that'll reveal any cutbacks.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Default Comic Shopping

I was wondering do you risk it shopping at the comic store or online with is safer
    Last edited by fin5; 03-22-2020 at 02:43 PM.

I love going to my comic store. The owner and I have known each other for a few years and he knows my situation with having a hard time leaving the house and how overwhelmed I get. He lets me go in the back if things are getting bad for me and I need a quiet place. He lets me buy comics and graphic novels on credit as long as I do a good job keeping my balance up and dont go nuts, he is fun to talk to and knows a lot about comics. We talk on the phone via text as well. I would rather go somewhere like that then do online shopping. I use the apps for a lot of the older issues I will never have a chance of getting. But I would rather go through him by far then an online shop. I am upset that he has closed because of this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Most shops are offering some kind of curbside pick up and/or shipping during this all, if they are allowed to remain open. Many of our shops in Ohio had been doing this, but we got a shelter in place order effective tomorrow so shops will have to close as non-essential businesses.

If you usually buy form a shop and like them, you should do what you can to support them through this. If they close or you don't have a regular shop, then online or digital are still options.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Fantastic Member

The shop I'd been going to for almost two years (after the owner of the previous shop I went to unexpectedly died of a heart attack) closed at the beginning of the month due to non-coronavirus issues. I managed to pick up all the books I usually get at a couple of other locations which were in the general area, say within 10 miles, but I've resorted to pre-ordering online, so hopefully that works out.