Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The lockdown is not long-term viable, economically, politically or socially.

The comics industry may not survive either way. But, the lockdown will be impossible to sustain much past early spring.
    Currently it's the only sure thing we have to contain it and the cure, assuming we get it soon, won't mean much when the lockdown ends before its fully contained. All that'll do is create more waves and we'll be back to square one. This doesn't end until the cycle is broken and short lockdowns won't do this. You're underestimating how bad this situation is and could become. The virus won't care who it hits, once you're not in isolation you're vulnerable.

Marvel is going to be more worried about the movie money.

Regardless of what series survive, I wonder what sort of comics the big two will pitch (specifically tone and content).
    Marvel's various branches will all be worried, as they're all affected.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    If Disney can keep their theme parks closed for the rest of the year, not doing comics (which doesn't really make them any money)would be child's play.
    Parks and comics are not comparable, though. Parks RELY on physical presence and large gatherings of people, so it's impossible for that particular business to go on during a pandemic. Comics can be created and distributed remotely, so it IS possible to keep the business going in SOME way. I'm not saying things will go back to the way they were, 'cause yeah, it's likely everything will change, but Disney would have to be very dumb to force Marvel Comics to stop making any comics until the end of the year when they CAN still do that. And sure, the money they make from the comics is just a tiny slice of the bigger Disney pie, but what's the alternative? Making no money at all? Surely selling SOME comics is better than that. Expanding their digital market would also probably be a good idea right now, since more people are seeking entertainment online. I really don't see Marvel being completely frozen for 8 more months.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The lockdowns will end and stores will reopen, but everything else is up in the air: how many stores are able to survive, how many customers they can get back, and also whether there are later outbreaks that cause everything to be closed down again.

There's so much uncertainty now and uncertainty is very bad for business. If all comic stores suddenly closed forever (to be clear: that would be a terrible thing), the industry would adjust to the new reality. But no one really knows the future of "nonessential" retail stores or movie theatres or theme parks. So everything is just kind of frozen for a while.
    True.
    Until a reliable vaccine is created, or a viable treatment of the disease is found, things won't be able to go back to "normal".

We Don't know how much physical release will be impacted by this crisis looking forward, beyond "badly", but I'm surprised digital release hasn't been pushed by both Marvel and DC in the meantime.

Especially Disney, they just launched Disney+ in my country, and I think they missed an Opportunity to synergize their offer with a bundle (as in Disney+ and Marvel Unlimited for example), ala Amazon Prime.
    Or maybe they did and it flew completely over my head haha.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    True.
    Until a reliable vaccine is created, or a viable treatment of the disease is found, things won't be able to go back to "normal".

We Don't know how much physical release will be impacted by this crisis looking forward, beyond "badly", but I'm surprised digital release hasn't been pushed by both Marvel and DC in the meantime.

Especially Disney, they just launched Disney+ in my country, and I think they missed an Opportunity to synergize their offer with a bundle (as in Disney+ and Marvel Unlimited for example), ala Amazon Prime.
    Or maybe they did and it flew completely over my head haha.
    They have been pushing Marvel Unlimited, sort of. They've given out a lot of free comics, also.

But they aren't going to push digital over print at this precarious moment for the retailers, who are their actual customers.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The lockdown is not long-term viable, economically, politically or socially.

The comics industry may not survive either way. But, the lockdown will be impossible to sustain much past early spring.

Marvel is going to be more worried about the movie money.

Regardless of what series survive, I wonder what sort of comics the big two will pitch (specifically tone and content).
    Yeah - economically, if places don't reopen soon, we'll be seeing a lot of companies go bust. Socially, people are getting stir crazy. We in the UK have been on lockdown for five weeks, and more and more people are starting to disobey it - I assume this is the same in America. And politically, if lockdown is still in force six months from now, Trump will not be getting his second term! Social distancing is the key, not stopping people from going out to work.

As for output from the comics companies... let's just say, Contagion will not be getting a sequel.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-28-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Parks and comics are not comparable, though. Parks RELY on physical presence and large gatherings of people, so it's impossible for that particular business to go on during a pandemic. Comics can be created and distributed remotely, so it IS possible to keep the business going in SOME way. I'm not saying things will go back to the way they were, 'cause yeah, it's likely everything will change, but Disney would have to be very dumb to force Marvel Comics to stop making any comics until the end of the year when they CAN still do that. And sure, the money they make from the comics is just a tiny slice of the bigger Disney pie, but what's the alternative? Making no money at all? Surely selling SOME comics is better than that. Expanding their digital market would also probably be a good idea right now, since more people are seeking entertainment online. I really don't see Marvel being completely frozen for 8 more months.

But that's the thing. Are they making any money at all by going to digital first? You can actually sell items, but at a loss, when you figure out all the costs in producing and distributing said item. If you can't make enough money to offset that cost, AND make a profit, then no. Selling for a pittance may NOT be making money. It's not bringing in money. It's actually losing money. As I've said repeatedly. How many people here are willing to do the same amount of work, for only 10% of their former salary? How many people are willing to pay 9 time more for their digital comics, to equal the same amount of profit Marvel makes off a comic?

Marvel isn't going to be completely frozen for 8 months. People keep acting like Marvel isn't doing anything at all, just because they haven't blabbed out their plans or what they attempting to do. Here's what Donny Cates, someone who actually works at Marvel said.

"It’s complicated. But in a nutshell: If we put comics out digitally it hurts comic shops even more. Which in turn hurts you guys," Cates tweeted. "Believe me, no one wants to sell Marvel comics more than Marvel. And we’re doing our best."

"There’s a lot behind the scenes about this that you guys don’t know about. But I PROMISE this is the right move for now," the writer continued. "I know it sucks for the moment, but that’s just it. A moment. And it will pass. I promise. In the meantime, go buy some comics that are new TO YOU!"
    https://www.newsarama.com/49962-donn...-shutdown.html
    Last edited by Reviresco; 04-28-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    I'm in Ohio. looks like May 12th for my LCS. The owner is the only employee, although sometimes his girlfriend, and her friend help out as well, so no problem there. The last week before Dewine shut everything down, he was only letting one or two in the store at a time anyways.
    One thing I have noticed during my comic book shopping is honestly-HOW EMPTY the stores are. Depending on what sale.... I can be in a store for 1-4 hours. Excluding 1-2 (RARELY 3) emloyees-I am the only shopper in there.

Now since FOC has happened at my store-they have more folks come and get their books and leave.

Unless there is a sale, mini con or signing most stores don't have a crowd issues.

This virus should not be used as some weapon against making certain books. We already got trolls doing that.

Folks dying and we got folks offended by a Ms Marvel book.

I don't care what comic book companies put out-put out whatever.

I had a family member (a cop) survive the virus. That is more important than what a comic book has inside it. I don't have to read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah - economically, if places don't reopen soon, we'll be seeing a lot of companies go bust. Socially, people are getting stir crazy. We in the UK have been on lockdown for five weeks, and more and more people are starting to disobey it - I assume this is the same in America. And politically, if lockdown is still in force six months from now, Trump will not be getting his second term! Social distancing is the key, not stopping people from going out to work.

As for output from the comics companies... let's just say, Contagion will not be getting a sequel.
    Why do you think he's so willing to sacrifice even more Americans in the rush to re-open? Not getting re-elected will be the only good thing to come out of this pandemic.

I feel zero sympathy for anyone who disobeys the lockdown because they are stir crazy. They are endangering everyone else.

My sympathy is reserved for those who aren't getting paid, losing their businesses, and are in food lines because the pandemic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    But that's the thing. Are they making any money at all by going to digital first? You can actually sell items, but at a loss, when you figure out all the costs in producing and distributing said item. If you can't make enough money to offset that cost, AND make a profit, then no. Selling for a pittance may NOT be making money. It's not bringing in money. It's actually losing money. As I've said repeatedly. How many people here are willing to do the same amount of work, for only 10% of their former salary? How many people are willing to pay 9 time more for their digital comics, to equal the same amount of profit Marvel makes off a comic?
    Been there DONE that.

Heck I've done at that 50% of my salary once.

What part of those books will be in print eventually does anyone not get?

No one is being denied a book. It's only WHEN they get it is the issue.

Donny can talk because his job is NOT in danger.

Go ask Ray Anthony Height if he feels the same. He's a free lancer who now only has hs Midnight Tiger book due in June to work on.

Donny can say go read book NEW to you. Well Dc has new books coming. Texas is reopening stores and pretty much every owner I have seen have gotten their orders in to DC and are ready.

Marvel told folks to put pencils down. Dc's are UP and running. Why would you give your competition time to get back fans they pretty much chased off?

So when Marvel sales are low when things start back up-Donny is going to EAT his words.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Been there DONE that.

Heck I've done at that 50% of my salary once.

What part of those books will be in print eventually does anyone not get?

No one is being denied a book. It's only WHEN they get it is the issue.
    Exactly. For most of these books, it is a question of WHEN. It's just a matter of waiting for a luxury item.

Donny can talk because his job is NOT in danger.

Go ask Ray Anthony Height if he feels the same. He's a free lancer who now only has hs Midnight Tiger book due in June to work on.
    Donny addressed that also. Alot of creators are using the time to catch up or to work on creator projects. If they've been told to put their pencils down, they do that, AND file for unemployment. Yes, I know that's another nightmare, but at least they have the option during the pandemic.

Donny can say go read book NEW to you. Well Dc has new books coming. Texas is reopening stores and pretty much every owner I have seen have gotten their orders in to DC and are ready.

Marvel told folks to put pencils down. Dc's are UP and running. Why would you give your competition time to get back fans they pretty much chased off?

So when Marvel sales are low when things start back up-Donny is going to EAT his words.
    I doubt it. Especially if the LCBS go down.

Between Marvel and DC, it isn't Marvel who has chased off fans.

Between Marvel and DC, it isn't Marvel who has chased off fans.
    People seem to be enjoying DC's Digital Firsts.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Oh, 'starting to disobey' doesn't even cover it. We've got whole communities ignoring it whenever it even slightly inconveniences them, groups of people being paid and backed to have armed protests against it, and more.

I really hope we don't get any crappy virus-related stories from Marvel or DC for a good long while. They're bound to just be terrible on all fronts.

Marvel isn't going to be completely frozen for 8 months. People keep acting like Marvel isn't doing anything at all, just because they haven't blabbed out their plans or what they attempting to do.
    They have blabbed their plans.. they sent half their editorial staff home, furloughed, on the same week DC started publishing again! So their plans are obviously not to do anything for months. Which frankly, is idiotic. We're acting like they're doing nothing because that's exactly what they're doing - nothing. They need to change their plans ASAP.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comi...omics-tuesday/

From a store owner-edited for clarity.

I do agree that I'd wished for a better plan but DC is at least doing something as has been asked for by a huge number of stores. These stores have been in contact with publishers and have discussed their frustration with the shutdown but any public conversations quickly get blasted by the mob mentality of those against the idea which has kept most of those discussions private.

There's a vocal "old guard" of stores who resisted cash registers in the 70s, resisted POS systems in the early 2000s (some still resisting them today), and now resist ideas like mailorder, curbside pickup, local delivery, and Facebook live shows.
    I want us all to survive but this situation is showing that we are not all on the same playing field and there are no one-size-fits-all solutions.

The stores most against the idea of resuming comics distribution are those in the more densely populated areas and maintaining social distancing is more difficult there. Those same stores though have an advantage day after day, month after month, and year after year as they are located where comic creators live and can more cheaply have them come in to do signings to boost their sales on a regular basis.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just geography. Is it fair that stores in Los Angelos, New York, and Dallas can have Scott Snyder, Donny Cates, or Todd McFarlane in for a signing without telling those creators that they must also do signings in Boise, Des Moines, and Topeka?
    NOW it's not fair. If they can't sell comics using their preferred method then no one should be able to sell them using alternative methods.
    I'm just frustrated by so many stores hearing the words "lock down", immediately giving up, and shouting to the world that all comic shops are forcibly closed. They ignore the fact that e-commerce is on the federal list (at least in the US) of essential businesses and curbside pickup has remained available in many areas as well. Each store needs to decide what's right for their situation and act accordingly but trying to impose their preference on others as if their choice is the only possible option is just wrong.
    From another one.

If DC thinks that they are going to peel off from Diamond and go it alone then my store will no longer carry DC products. The sad reality is DC Comics sales are so bad that it just wouldn't be financially sound to have to order just DC from another distributor.
    If sales are that bad-why complain?

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comi...omics-tuesday/

From a store owner-edited for clarity.

From another one.

If sales are that bad-why complain?
    Exactly.

Why the bother?

And i don't know why some retailers are treating this like its a "strike". This is an unusual situation that will persist for the foreseeable future, things aren't going to revert to the status quo. My office for example is looking at re-opening soon but operations are going to be permanently altered.

Point is, people need to start getting ready for a possible new status quo particularly considering that retail (i.e brick and mortar) isn't what it used to be.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-28-2020 at 08:47 AM.