Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Yeah my local shop posted today about this being the last week for new books for a while. Gonna' go grab em and wait it out for a while now.

Rodman Comics: "Having just one vendor for comics might indeed now be a fatal mistake."
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...uture-no-more/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Will they delay the digital comic? Or just physical ones?

We don't know yet.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Had to happen eventually. The direct market system was in a death spiral even before the virus hit. It's a shame a lot of comic stores won't survive this, but perhaps something new and good can come from this turmoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    In everywher if a store wants comics you go through diamond. Manga has jump selling directly to consumers and stores. They cut out the middle man and it kept prices down.
    The price problem is one of the biggest hurdles to American comics generating a new readership. A lot of people just aren't gonna pay 4 dollars for 10 minutes of entertainment (if that). Superhero comics are a poor value proposition compared to just about every other form of entertainment.

Some publishers expected to fold, Marvel, DC, AWA and Bad Idea snap up creators who've been told to down tools by other publishers. Rumours that DC could put new material on DC Universe - but that would lock out anyone not in the US!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...virus-tuesday/

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Comixology offering unlimited for free for 60 days. Everyone join the dark side.

https://www.comixology.com/unlimited...ki0232METqdQE0

Mighty Member

I hope when this is over comic shops with be open. im still in the dark about whats happing
    so i guess that means Empyre is going to be delayed

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

One way of not being so vulnerable to the whims of the Industry could be that post-pandemic, comic retailers change their purchasing schematics. To send a clear direct message to the Publishers and the Distributor that they will no longer support their over-inflated crap gimmicks. (does a number one issue really need to be 9,99 and come in 50 different variant covers? and that's just one of the most flagrant examples)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Incredible Member

I've got nothing against folks who prefer to read their comics digitally but but going digitally or exclusively or as the primary way of publishing comics is not going to lead to a massive influx of new readers. Not to say i don't belive there won't be some new readers due to the change but at the end of the day comicbooks are a niche hobby and hoping for sales of to consistently return to what they were back in the 70's, 80's and 90's is not realistic.

It's the same way with pro wrestling which is another niche hobby i like because i don't care what tactics WWE, AEW, ROh or whoever wants to utilize they'll never come close to consistently sniffing the ratings they got in the late 90's.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 03-24-2020 at 03:51 PM.

I think Marvel Publishing will be gutted, same with DC. Comics will still be made, but I expect a much smaller team, writer and artist with maybe a few editors covering a lot fewer books.

Probably seeing the end of a big office in New York.

Might be good in the long run. Short run I could see Marvel's output cut to twenty books a month.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I've got nothing against folks who prefer to read their comics digitally but but going digitally or exclusively or as the primary way of publishing comics is not going to lead to a massive influx of new readers. Not to say i don't belive there won't be some new readers due to the change but at the end of the day comicbooks are a niche hobby and hoping for sales of to consistently return to what they were back in the 70's, 80's and 90's is not realistic.
    If the comic industry adapted the model of manga it would be in a much better place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If the comic industry adapted the model of manga it would be in a much better place.
    Agreed, the comics industry has been complacent for far too long. They had years to adapt their business model and move away from the proven weakness of Diamond and towards a Manga style system. Yet neither Marvel or DC acted upon these warnings and so the comics industry was left woefully fragile against the worst crisis it has ever faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I dont know much about the business side of things. What is the Manga model?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Had to happen eventually. The direct market system was in a death spiral even before the virus hit. It's a shame a lot of comic stores won't survive this, but perhaps something new and good can come from this turmoil.

The price problem is one of the biggest hurdles to American comics generating a new readership. A lot of people just aren't gonna pay 4 dollars for 10 minutes of entertainment (if that). Superhero comics are a poor value proposition compared to just about every other form of entertainment.
    True but it's an expensive product, not really high margins at play.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES