Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Continuity Hiccup in Rucka Rebirth run?

So I just finished Rucka's Rebirth run (for the second time) and I really liked it. The art is gorgeous and the story is pretty good even though it gets confusing with the issues jumping around chronologically so much. But I think I found an error in one issue that I haven't seen anyone address.

In the Rebirth special and Year One, Diana says that Hippolyta is the tenth queen of the Amazons. Yet in issue 8, which shows Barbara Minerva's early expedition in the Ukraine, she reads text that says Lysippe is the TWELFTH queen of the Amazons. This is repeated multiple times throughout the issue.

Obviously, this doesn't seem right. Hippolyta is still queen, and she's supposedly the tenth, so how can there be a twelfth? Was Hippolyta queen, then two other people were queen, then she took back over? Did Barbara just misread the text? I thought there was gonna be some weird time travel mystery to it but it's never referenced again...

It happens sometimes. Also the amazons were in the outside world before going to the island. So it’s not a mistake. Not only that but we have the Banas. So it wouldn’t be a stretch if this was the Banas queen not the Amazons of Paradise Island

In other words before they broke up Hippolyta could have been the tenth queen and the twelve queen was the Banas

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's possible who ever lead the faction of Amazons away that would later become the Bana (originally Antiope, but since she's on the island maybe it could Penthesilea) declared themselves the 11th queen in Hippolyta's absence. And her daughter or successor was in turn the 12th.

Was the 10th queen thing a left over from New 52? We have Barbara mention to Diana that in our mythology, Hippolyta is the daughter of Ares and Otrera and the fake Ares says he wants to see his "daughters" again. Diana doesn't say anything to contradict this. Maybe Otrera was the ninth queen?

I asked Rucka about this on Twitter years ago and he said it was intentional and that he was working on a storyline that would explain it. But then DC reneged on its promise to return the book to a once-a-month schedule (from the twice-a-month schedule) and Rucka couldn't keep up with the pace and left the book. That's what he told me.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I asked Rucka about this on Twitter years ago and he said it was intentional and that he was working on a storyline that would explain it. But then DC reneged on its promise to return the book to a once-a-month schedule (from the twice-a-month schedule) and Rucka couldn't keep up with the pace and left the book. That's what he told me.
    And then we got Robinson. I thought I remember him saying they had plans for Dr. Psycho in one of the early promo vids for Rebirth, but I may be mistaken. Either way it obviously didn't pan out.

DC can really be the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And then we got Robinson. I thought I remember him saying they had plans for Dr. Psycho in one of the early promo vids for Rebirth, but I may be mistaken. Either way it obviously didn't pan out.

DC can really be the worst.
    In a perfect world, Rucka would've kept doing the series at a monthly pace and DC would've started up a second WW title to replace the bimonthly issues. Everyone would've won. But you're right, DC isn't known for the best decision making.

Now that just makes me more depressed given the state of the book since he left.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Now that just makes me more depressed given the state of the book since he left.

Yeah, that's a kick in the groin for sure. I remember Rucka mentioning he had plans for Dr. Psycho too. They really should have found a way to keep him around.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yeah, that's a kick in the groin for sure. I remember Rucka mentioning he had plans for Dr. Psycho too. They really should have found a way to keep him around.
    Yeah, like others said make a second WW book or have a different writer to come for the other issue of the month and have it set sometime ambiguously.

Incredible Member

Huh, that's very interesting if true.

Was the 10th queen thing a left over from New 52? We have Barbara mention to Diana that in our mythology, Hippolyta is the daughter of Ares and Otrera and the fake Ares says he wants to see his "daughters" again. Diana doesn't say anything to contradict this. Maybe Otrera was the ninth queen?
    Interestingly, not only does Year One say the Amazons are daughters of Otrera and Ares, it also says they are the daughters of Harmonia and Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    In a perfect world, Rucka would've kept doing the series at a monthly pace and DC would've started up a second WW title to replace the bimonthly issues. Everyone would've won. But you're right, DC isn't known for the best decision making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, like others said make a second WW book or have a different writer to come for the other issue of the month and have it set sometime ambiguously.

The second book or alternating issues that could be set in the past between Year One and the present to flesh out events would have been awesome.
    If they need ideas for it, friggin use it as a chance to figure out Donna Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Interestingly, not only does Year One say the Amazons are daughters of Otrera and Ares, it also says they are the daughters of Harmonia and Ares.
    I think the Harmonia and Ares comment was meant more to be metaphorical. Like they are daughters of "peace and war," they are a peaceful people who prefer not to escalate conflicts but can throw down if they have to.

Otrera being mentioned by Barbara Ann is also stated to be "our" mythology, later on we have a panel that suggests Perez's origins for the Amazons line up with Rebirth again (reincarnated souls). Since that origin is also being used in Historia, I'm hoping Historia lines up enough with Year One that it could function as a companion piece.

....life was better before I knew Rucka got done dirty like this.

Gods damn it DC, why can't we have nice things?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The second book or alternating issues that could be set in the past between Year One and the present to flesh out events would have been awesome.
    If they need ideas for it, friggin use it as a chance to figure out Donna Troy. .
    Yeah, looks like Rucka can't catch a break when it comes to writing Wonder Woman.

Oof...this hurts.

I've also noted before that Ferdinand the 'Minotaur' wasn't introduced properly either. I'm not sure though if this was because a 'past' story got cut or that since Rucka wrote his run appealing specifically to people who read his previous work he didn't need to introduce the character.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut